In the HOT seat

I did a ride in the Georgia heat and got stuck in traffic. Temperature was about 90 F and bike ran great. When stopped for about 5 minutes the engine temp went up to about 220 and the fan came on as discussed in other threads. My seat became so hot I almost could not stay sitting down. I had on jeans and mesh riding pants so plenty of insulation between me and the seat. Has anyone else dealt with the hot seat issue and have you found any solutions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Premium Member
Ah, the fun of riding in the south during the summer. I rode for many years in Alabama and had the same problems. Bikes were much older, but the seats were still black.

My trick back then was keeping a hand towel under the seat, and when it gets too hot, pull it out and sit on the towel. I think the hot Georgia sun baking a black seat is just a bad combination.

Fortunately, I moved to the temperate Pacific Northwest, so I no longer have to contend with that issue, although I do have to deal with rain 9 months out of the year.

I did a ride in the Georgia heat and got stuck in traffic. Temperature was about 90 F and bike ran great. When stopped for about 5 minutes the engine temp went up to about 220 and the fan came on as discussed in other threads. My seat became so hot I almost could not stay sitting down. I had on jeans and mesh riding pants so plenty of insulation between me and the seat. Has anyone else dealt with the hot seat issue and have you found any solutions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Haven't had an issue with my seat... but damn its been hot lately in GA!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I have no idea what you are talking about... I only live in South Florida... :P

Heat index was 107 today. I got rained on twice, for about 5 minutes each time. You know just enough for it to become really steamy and miserable.

I've never had a problem with a seat I was sitting on.. I've climbed on without thinking and scorched the jewels a couple times though....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Can't be the exhaust so the fan may be pushing the engine heat up under the seat.

Luckily I haven't been stuck in traffic with this bike yet to test that theory because its hot enough down here already.
BLB

• Premium Member
If you think that's bad, the Triumph Tiger will absolutely cook yer nards. It's 10x worse, like a damn convection oven for the nether region. One of the reasons I bought the FJ instead.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Just for grins pull the seat and have a look. I've felt engine heat on my inner lower calfs but not the seat. Fan kicks on at 221 and shuts off at 212. I live in Orlando and mid day now in traffic it's in the 90's. I ride early in the morning. Done at ten. Then ride in evening. Just too hot after 10:00 a.m. In Central Florida. Even at night the temps have been around 83. But it's pleasant.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived