What bike did you have previously, and why did you change?

Guest reeseyboy

Guest reeseyboy
So, what did we all have before buying an FJ/Tracer? I had a 2012 VFR1200. A very good bike, but a little on the heavy side for me at 270kgs. I saw the Tracer in the press before its release here in the UK and put a deposit down straight away; collected it on 1st March 2015. 

IMG_2086_zpsf3224136.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same here: VFR 800, a bit on the heavy side so I wanted a lighter bike but what I was really looking forward to is a more upright position... and to go back to the 3 cylinders engine (I had a Triumph Street Triple before the VFR. Kept it for 5 years, 70 000kms)

Sv650s. Love it to bits done about 70000 miles on the old girl. Been toured on. Raged to hell on track and around the isle of man. Had no problems with it. Fancied something more upright and modern had a ride on one and liked it. Am very happy with it. Gave sv to my lady so I can still ride it for old times sake.

2001 ZRX1100.  Enjoyed it for 15 years.  I was frustrated with the finicky (in need of a rebuild) carbs, mediocre handling, and other older bike issues.  The final nail in the coffin for the ZRX1100 was riding a friend's MV Agusta Brutale for 100 or so miles.  I saw what new technology and design had done for handling, weight, power, and refinement. 

Prior to the FJ, newest bike I owned was (actually still have it) a 1979 Yamaha XS650.

The 40 year leap in technology has been a real eye-opener! Hard for me to get on board with all the nit-picking about the suspension for sure. And BRAKES! Who knew? :)

Took the FJ for a quick blast this afternoon and for the first time turned off the TCS and engaged Sport mode. Woooooooooo! Throttle wheelies!

Last three bikes: 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure (didn't bond to it, too big, too heavy, too quirky), 2008 Aprilia Tuono Factory Addition (awesome bike, probably should have kept it as a 2nd bike) and the 3rd, a 2008 Kawasaki C14 (great bike, too fat though) It's great to be on something light, fun and practical.

I traded my Super Tenere in on the FJ-09 last week. I am tired of tall, heavy bikes. I also have a Ninja 1000, Bandit 1250 and Honda CB1100, all of which are low and light like the FJ-09. The FJ is the lightest of them all and I look forward to riding in many states and provinces.

• Premium Member
Been riding a 2000 Buell S3 Thunderbolt for the last 16+ years, bought new in late '99. Still have it, but after 50k miles I thought it was time for a new bike (just couldn't resist the FJ's low pipe really =).

Just previously I had a 2008 Versys 650. Really a great overall bike. I decided I wanted to own a new bike (always bought used) with a little more power.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived