What is B mode for?

• Premium Member
B mode is for when you are in the middle of nowhere and notice there is something odd about the road. Then you realize they have heavily oiled the road. Thinking that may be slippery they then pour three inches of gravel over the top. So that is why the bike is wandering all over the road. Click into B mode, slow down and appreciate the fact the bike has ABS and vow to never buy another bike without it.

• 1 year later...
From the User and Service manuals:

Mode "STD"
Mode "STD" is suitable for various riding conditions.
This mode allows the rider to enjoy smooth and sporty drivability from the low-speed range to the high-speed range.

Mode "A"
Mode "A" offers a sportier engine response in the low- to mid-speed range compared to mode "STD".

Mode "B"
Mode "B" offers response that is somewhat less sharp compared to mode "STD" for riding situations that require especially sensitive throttle operation.

WARNING
Do not change the D-mode while the vehicle is moving.

I just picked up an FJ09 today and took it for the first ride after a rain shower had wet the road. Checked out the standard mode first. Then went to A mode. While turning out into traffic, I decided to see what she's got. It squirmed a little and I noticed the TCS light blinking. I was expecting a drift with the road being wet but all I got was very quick acceleration. If it works this good in A mode in the rain, why does it need B mode?
Why would you want to "see what she got " on a wet road ? Makes no sense to me !The bike has a Bmode for that exact reason,slow acceleration for wet road conditions 

• Premium Member
From the User and Service manuals: 

WARNING
Do not change the D-mode while the vehicle is moving.
If we're not supposed to change it while riding, why did they leave us with the ability to do so?

I change D-mode underway all the time. All it requires is to roll off the throttle.

I wish we could disable TC while moving.

• Premium Member
[Why would you want to "see what she got " on a wet road ?
It keeps the Normals on their toes.

My FJ tried to wheelie this morning on wet pavement. Alas, the fun-killer TC kicked in.

I think B mode reduces maxing HP available.
I thought that as well, but @fjmax and I did some drag racing (on a closed course of course) and there was virtually no difference between A, STD, and B in terms of wide open throttle.. the difference is in how quickly you get to 100% when you twist your wrist.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I think B mode reduces maxing HP available.
I thought that as well, but @fjmax and I did some drag racing (on a closed course of course) and there was virtually no difference between A, STD, and B in terms of wide open throttle.. the difference is in how quickly you get to 100% when you twist your wrist.
Yeah I think the ignition limits how quickly it revs.  Just for fun, I rode some tight twisty mountain roads this summer and decided to try B mode while "sport" riding, the power comes on quite a bit softer (compared to A), but D@MN, I was impressed in how sporty she rides even with a neutered power delivery. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

...roll-on power output doesn't ramp up as fast, but I imagine that you eventually get to the same spot. Useful mode in dodgy conditions. I find the A mode the calmest in terms of RPM for power output, i.e. cruising for example. STD seems busier, and B mode seems busiest... and least responsive, by design of course.
Yes.. even before having the ECU flashed, I rode in A mode only. When I first got the FJ I thought it was too sensitive but once I became more accustomed to it, I was able to ride A mode smoother than than the other modes. Learned to love that I could over take cars or get out of blind spot with the slightest flick of the wrist.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I took a long[span style=white-space:pre] [/span]ride today and switched between standard and A mode. I liked A mode the best becuase it smoothed out the throttle response and the mpg seems to be the same as std mode. I even rode in A mode fir slow speed lane splitting and found the bike easy to control. I plan to keep it in A mode for everything except riding in rain. 

Archived