Accessory mounts above Instrument panel.

Brick

• Premium Member
The other reason I'm reading this post is I want to install my Garmin 665 GPS above the gauges. I have this on my 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES and it works so well up there. But the Tenere has a bar as part of stock windscreen that the GPS mounts to... The FJ-09 seems to be all plastic up there.

I'm looking at adding this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-16-Yamaha-FJ09-Motorcycle-Bike-Mount-Bar-GPS-Phone-Mobile-CellPhone-Holder-/131864959951?fits=Make%3AYamaha%7CModel%3AFJ09&hash=item1eb3c39bcf:g:MV4AAOSwZ1BXdmxY&vxp=mtr

Opinions???

Brick

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have a giant givi screen with an aftermarket, also givi, attached to the plate. I also use metal bolts and none of this has caused my base to crack. I also ride off road and generally abuse my bikes. If mine did that I would slap the stocker back on and take it for a warranty replacement. Although to be honest I would probably just buy one and replace it myself.

The bar looks useful but not very pretty. I would want to know what it mounts to and still keep your clipons light, a gps should be fine *depending on mount point
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I want to install my Garmin 665 GPS above the gauges. The FJ-09 seems to be all plastic up there. 
Opinions???

Brick

The GPS is much more useful when mounted above the instrument cluster. I prefer to use a RAM mount, like that discussed in this thread

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

The other reason I'm reading this post is I want to install my Garmin 665 GPS above the gauges. I have this on my 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES and it works so well up there. But the Tenere has a bar as part of stock windscreen that the GPS mounts to... The FJ-09 seems to be all plastic up there. 
I'm looking at adding this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-16-Yamaha-FJ09-Motorcycle-Bike-Mount-Bar-GPS-Phone-Mobile-CellPhone-Holder-/131864959951?fits=Make%3AYamaha%7CModel%3AFJ09&hash=item1eb3c39bcf:g:MV4AAOSwZ1BXdmxY&vxp=mtr

Opinions???

Brick

Dave, 
IIRC, someone on this forum built a homemade GPS mount above the gauge cluster. Might be worth digging, maybe you/me/we can find it.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
Thanks for the replies bbb and wiggin I was wondering about that Ram ball mount on the wind screen. So two of you say it's stable. That might work.

Bentaero... I did see a home built one that was a Ram ball handlebar 1/2 mounted behind the lower wind screen. I was looking and where it's mounted to is also plastic and well... I just don't think it's better than the one bbb and wiggin posted.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

I also use the Cosmo mount listed by wiggins. The mount has a 1" rubber ball, which I connect to the 1" rubber ball on the cradle for my Garmin GPS with a RAM double socket arm. The two rubber balls virtually eliminate any vibration and I can position my GPS so it does not obscure the instruments at all. I have it mounted under a Puig touring screen and highly recommend the Cosmo product.  Also, the Cosmo mount is thicker than the Chinese Ebay version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
This the above instrument mounting system I developed that utilizes a rail used on kayaks etc mounted with L-brackets that use the same upper 2 mounting bolts for the windscreen (in my case the huge Givi touring screen with Xscreen tour spoiler). I can slide in as many of the RAM rail 1" ball mounts as the width of the devices and length of rail will permit. Right now I have my trusty and very feature packed Garmin Nuvi 765T (Bluetooth, JPEG viewer, MP3 player, etc no longer offered on any other Nuvi at least) and my Whistler CR93 GPS & update-able Database type radar detector (in the excellent RAM magnetic quick in/out mount).

20161026_223746.jpg

20161026_223755.jpg

• Premium Member
In addition to the already mentioned options this one seems pretty neat. Haven't ordered it myself yet but it's on my list: 
http://www.cosmo-accessories.com/online-store/yamaha/tracer-gps-holder-info.html

I also like this one. Does anyone know a vendor in the USA that carries it? If I wanted to buy a minimum of 50 of them I could pay much less per unit from Alibaba https://m.alibaba.com/product/60533999964/GPS-Phone-Holder-Ram-Mount-Type.html but I don't see myself doing that. :^)

Archived