Accessory mounts above Instrument panel.

Brick

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
The Givi 2122DT screen leaves a lot of room for brackets.These are what I used:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/162326213305
Details: http://fj-09.org/post/42681/thread 

brackets_zpsw1ulxhpv.jpgP_20160609_122121_zpsdvvdpydm.jpgIMG_20160521_113347_zpsztyfhxbs.jpg

Similar to what I built using my own brackets and a slotted rail which accepts RAM T-clamps ball mounts.  The rail enable use of its full 12-inch length without interference from your mounting brackets, and your tube presumably requires 7/8" handlebar clamps with a ball mount which usually require a wrench or sockets to adjust and need to be tightened securely or they will rotate on the tube. 
The RAM rail balls http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-354U-TRA1 can be loosened and tightened by hand and are infinitely adjustable laterally in the slotted rail (aluminum version linked, I used the plastic 12" which were $18 for two) https://www.yakattack.us/GT90_12_1PK_p/gt90-12.htm is very sturdy, slim and compact compared to a tube rail.

GT90_12_2_48015_1435014901_1280_1280.jpgRAP_B_354_U_TRA1.jpg

Looks like I know what I'm gonna do for a bracket. Much better than spending $50+ on the Cosmo bracket. Thanks for the linky :)  
Does look nice..... just no way this would work with the Puig screen without some funky stand-offs... acres of space in the photo ::) . There is a mounting plate with a similar bar, also available from CosmoMoto, if you don't have luxury of space above/behind the dash display.
Are you 100% that it wont fit with the Puig?? Both screens mount to the same point, don't they? Which should leave the same gap? I am running the Puig Touring. 

Are you 100% that it wont fit with the Puig?? Both screens mount to the same point, don't they? Which should leave the same gap? I am running the Puig Touring. 
...well, never 100%, but there's oodles of space in the Givi setup, compared to what I have with the Puig Touring. Even with the CosoMoto setup and the short RAM arm, I have to angle the GPS just so, or it will a) block the dash display, or b) be too close, or touch the screen (issue I did have to fix with 1/4" stand-offs). I believe the distance from the dash to the screen and the screen angle itself are different in the Givi design. Might be useful to note that I run the screen fixed permanently in the highest position. I use the short RAM arm to minimize vibes. You can experiment... If you can make the bar setup work (and the devices will fit properly) with the Puig Touring....I'd love to see.  :)
Well I got my ECU back from 2WDW on Friday, so I got my bike put back together tonight. After re-installing the Puig screen, I think you're definitely right that it wont fit. I ordered the brackets already, so I'll still give it a whirl and see if I can get anything to work. Worst case scenario I wasted $6.50 lol 

• 1 month later...
Thank you Cylinder, As an old paddle sports guy I knew this was an elegant solution to what I wanted for my bike. I used the poly T rail as I thought it would absorb vibration better and for the rest I just followed your directions. It actually went easier than I expected. I don't think there is a system out there flexible as this is. I have my car GPS on the left and my EZ pass on the right. I can set them anywhere I please or take them off in a hurry if I am going to be off the bike. I installed this with the stock windscreen and used a couple of 1 inch and  1/2 inch spacers and the longer bolts to go with them, for the wiggle room needed for the rail. The best of all is you don't need tools to reset or add anything. Thanks again for sharing this.

• Premium Member
Glad my design worked out for you. Here is my current set-up with lower bars that really helped the handling considerably due to more forward lean and better, more swept wrist angle.

Note:  The twin LED driving that are normally mounted to front of Givi case guards and Shad SH36 side cases are not installed in the full side view, as I had the front fairing stripped to check the TB sync, change the plugs, check the valves and remove the ECU to send in for a re-flash (I'll have Kev's O2 controller for sale afterward which works very well but I want to have A mode default, get rid of the various restrictions and maybe get a quick shifter, etc) but we had a crazy stretch of 50, 60 and then 70 degree weather here (sadly now over but I'm not complaining) so I threw the FJ together for a couple of 300 mile rides, and the driving lights have to be pulled to remove the front fairing and I normally don't mount the side cases unless I'm doing overnighters.

20170104_184913.jpg

20170125_205057.jpg

20170125_205303.jpg

20170125_211305.jpg

20170125_210822.jpg

20170125_210916.jpg

20170125_211116.jpg

20170222_142314.jpg

20170222_185044.jpg

20170222_193912.jpg

• Supporting Member
 Here is my current set-up with lower bars that really helped the handling considerably due to more forward lean and better, more swept wrist angle... 
20170222_193912.jpg

2and3 - I'm REALLY interested in what you've done here, and wonder if you can elaborate on the specific handlebars you're using.  I run the seat in the high position, and the stock handlebars/risers in the forward setting, but still want a little more weight to the front.  Now that I've done the Ohlins shock and fork work, it is even more apparent to me that I need to make a modification similar to yours...   I've contemplated machining some off of the bottom of the stock risers, but what you have done here looks like a much cleaner answer.      
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

-Scott

Archived