Unsatisfied with my FJ-09

I generally don't suit up for anything  less than 100 miles.  Easier to just take the cage and the fun really isn't there for a shorter ride anyway.
Yet here I am going ATGATT for my 15 mile rides :P
Always should mate. Always a good idea.. and you can guarantee the one time that you don't, something will happen! 

My local bike shop is less than a mile away but i've always got all my kit on to ride there. 

I had a smash 4 year ago.. Someone pulled out on me n knocked me off.. less than a mile from my house. 

You cant wear too much gear, just incase :):D

I sound old and sensible now dont i! I'm only 24 hahaa. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
This bike is not for everybody. If you normally update suspension, exhaust, fueling, then this bike will be no different. If you hate it now, you will hate it more later. Advice I have given before, sell it now, take your lumps, and get what you want. Some actually come back after realizing it wasn't that bad.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Sounds like your bike needs a good mechanic, and a handful of cash. It is possible too much stop and go driving has worn out the clutch, and/or causing clutch plates to stick. The stock drive chain tension specs are way too tight, and that may damage transmission. Get a APE (brand name) manual cam chain tensioner..... and all the other things previously mentioned.

I love my FJ 09. But after 35 years of riding, and the information on this forum, I learned to fix it's short falls. All it took was what I would consider a list of mods normal for a lot of bikes,  2WDW reflash, Ohlins suspension, APE cam tensioner, Vibranators in the handle bars, G2 Throttle Tamer, Air Hawk cushion, and still came out cheaper than a lot of other bikes.

• Premium Member
I've ridden lots of bikes lots of miles over 20 years. Every bike I ever owned had issues that I needed to work on to make it right for me. An aftermarket seat is usually first on the list, and the FJ is no exception. I'm 5'7", and I'm a heavy weight lifter, so I have alligator arms (short, and not flexible.) Since I like to take long rides, ergonomics are important. But I also love sporty riding. The FJ is the perfect match of sport and ergonomics for me. Due to my line of work, commuting to work and back is not an option. So the only time I ride is when I want to either take a trip or hit the twisties (I'm lucky enough to live less than a mile from 200+ miles of those.)

With that being said, I had no problems with the power of this bike out of the box. I was actually impressed with it. I bought a slip-on pipe and a flash kit and flashed it myself just to smooth it out and get rid of the speed limiter. I put on anti-vibe bar risers and rubber pegs to get rid of the vibration. I have noticed difficulty shifting, depending on what footwear I'm using. If I'm wearing shoes, it works perfectly out of the box. If I'm wearing touring boots, I have to move the shifter up. It takes 1 minute.

As it is, it's my favorite bike of any I've ridden, and I never thought I'd like any bike as much as my first-gen FZ1. And I'm working with pattonme to upgrade the shock and forks, so soon it'll be far superior to any bike I've owned. And with the Shad bags figured in, I'm all in at less than 12K. There is no way I could buy a better bike for me for anywhere near that price.

I love mine. Very smooth. Clutch works perfect even if it makes a little noise. Gearbox is perfect. That's one complaint I don't get when I hear it mentioned. Suspension is exactly what I expected on a bike of this price and I can live with it fine. Get out and enjoy motorcycling and stop sitting around worrying about the bike OR get a different bike. I have so much fun riding that I often forget the bike isn't perfect. Thank God my wife looks at me that way too.

• Premium Member
The test of the motorcycle is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the motorcycle produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong, until either the motorcycle or your mind is changed.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

All this being said, I would upgrade the tires, since any buyer will discount his offer based on the bike needing tires anyway, and see how you like it.

I agree with those who have suggested that your enjoyment is all that matters. If you hate it with new tires, cut it free and get that CB500. You'll be back.......... ;)

This bike is not for everybody. If you normally update suspension, exhaust, fueling, then this bike will be no different. If you hate it now, you will hate it more later. Advice I have given before, sell it now, take your lumps, and get what you want. Some actually come back after realizing it wasn't that bad.
Who me?! 
In regards to your brother's Street Triple it is the standard by which all others are measured.  The fueling and suspension are perfect.  Only problem is it is a naked bike that is very hard to dress up.  If you want some weather protection its all but impossible to add. 

I bought a Multistrada after the FJ-09.  I did not need to remap the bike, didn't touch the suspension, but it was a pile more money than the FJ-09.  Not sure its worth the difference as both bikes provide the same amount of fun and are great all day bikes.    

mines a 2016, only 3 month old, ive ridden 2 other 16 models, 1 was a bit better than the other 2, but i wouldnt say any of them had a nice gearbox.....however, the engine has smoothed out since new, so fingers crossed for the gearbox.... 

Paddington, ive come off a Versys 650, i was fed up with the vibes after 70k mls, but the Tracer is just as vibey, albeit in different places...lol

Funnily, the Versys 1000 was on my interest list as being a bike that is more smooth :P

The Versys 1000 is smooth as butter ..The 650 is a twin where the 1000 in an inline 4..big difference. I have an FZ-09 and almost bought an FJ to have a bike that is better for longer rides , after riding the FJ and the Versys i bought the Versys. There is no comparison, The Versys is a much better and much more refined bike  

Archived