Extended Warranty Question

I just purchased a brand new 2015 FJ-09... can't wait to bring it home and start riding.  The 4 yr extended warranty is pretty reasonable though my dealer... just wondering what everyone's thoughts are with the reliability of the bike and the need (even if just for peace of mind) for an extended warranty.

I normally don't buy them but this is pretty reasonable!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!  Can't wait for spring and for the fun to begin!!  Be safe everyone!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone has their opinion on ext. warranties.

With labor rates and parts costs these days, repair costs can add up quickly.

You should be able to get it for less than $400. Cheap insurance with zero deductible and unlimited miles.

So far the bikes seem pretty reliable. Any major issues are likely to show up within the 1st year (manufacturer's warranty). Let's suppose that something odd happens 2 years from now, such as the starter quits working ($223.95). Recently a guy posted on here that he had to replace his fuel pump after many thousand km's (268.95). If you were to have any of these items replaced by the dealer it would be well over $400 which you should be able to buy the extended warranty for. So if you would likely want to take your bike to the dealer to have any of these items replaced then the warranty is worth it.

If you're like me, your dealer has proven themselves to be incompetent in the service department and you prefer to work on your own vehicles anyway. In that case you could buy most parts (except for catastrophic engine or transmission failure which is likely to show up in the 1st year if it is going to happen) for less than the warranty cost. Or you may never have a problem and save the money in your wallet.

For most people, the warranty is worth it for just in case as well as peace of mind. For people who are very mechanically inclined, these bikes are easy to work on and the warranty may not be completely necessary.

• Premium Member
I don't buy them for a few reasons. For one, I've never had any issues with any Yamaha, be it a street bike, dirt bike, 3-wheeler or 4-wheeler (which is why they are all I buy now.) My first gen FZ1 went over 100,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance before the rings gave out. Another reason is that I like to work on my bikes myself because about 90% of my dealings with dealers working on my bikes have been negative. They've charged more than they quoted, took way longer to do the service than quoted, and usually would scratch/chip the tank/bodywork/frame while doing the work. This prompted me to buy tools and manuals and learn to do it myself. That brings me to the other reason. The only work I'm not equipped to do myself is internal engine work. But, since the first thing I do after break-in is change the exhaust and re-jet (re-flash in this case) the warranty on the engine internals is void anyway. So for me, the extended warranty makes no sense.

If you don't work on the bike yourself, and if you have a competent dealer with mechanics that you trust to work on your bike, the warranty makes sense if it's reasonably priced. When I bought my FJ, the stealer made his warranty pitch at a very unreasonable $1,100.

Yea, I got it for a similar price. I initially rejected it, as they wanted $800 or something like that. They came back a minute later and said we can do it for $400 ish. I said sure, that sounds reasonable for an additional 4 years, even though Yamaha's have always been reliable. One issue and it'll likely pay itself off.

I did purchase one for a Ducati I had and it was worth the cost. I would get an extended warranty today based on how many of the components on all bikes are controlled by computers. If they need replacing down the road they can easily run above $1,000.

• Supporting Member
I got mine for under $500 as well. If you are the type to sell your bike every few years, it can add a strong selling point as it is transferable. If you end up not wanting it, you can get your money back on the unused portion.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I got mine for under $500 as well. If you are the type to sell your bike every few years, it can add a strong selling point as it is transferable. If you end up not wanting it, you can get your money back on the unused portion.
I bought a ridiculously over priced warranty for my FJR1300 only because I was told that I could get a full refund if I decided I didn't want it. In truth, they charge you a large cancellation and/or transfer fee if you transfer the warranty or cancel it. So don't expect to get your full money back if you cancel the warranty 6 you purchased 6 months down the road. And they will be very reluctant to let you cancel. "Are you sure you want to do that? Your engine could blow up tomorrow. 99% of the work our shop does is warranty work." 

• Supporting Member
NSMILLER, thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of that. While I have no intention of cancelling mine or getting rid of my bike and transferring the warranty, this is still good to know.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Speaking of selling a bike with an ext. warranty, cancelling it or transferring it, not sure if the warranty nsmiller had was a Yamaha Y.E.S. warranty but I found out a few things recently about the YES warranty when I purchased a used FJ-09 that the previous owner had the 48 month warranty on.

I was told by a dealer that if the owner of the bike would have cancelled the warranty, the next owner of the vehicle cannot purchase a YES warranty for it, even if it is within the original one year warranty period.

Also mentioned that it would be better to let the warranty go with the bike, as the refunded amount is pro-rated and it may be a good selling-point to have a warranty.

My dealer didn't charge a transfer fee as well.

I bought the Yamaha YES warranty for $400. Mainly to cover the cost of stuff I do not want to learn how to work on, computers/electronics, ABS pump etc. I tend to keep my bikes a long time, 10 years, and the extra money was not an issue.

However, my cam chain tensioner quit working at 600 miles.  This was before the actual recall, Yamaha would not cover it.  I replaced it with APE unit myself.   So, I am not saying I have total confidence in the extended warranty.

In the United States, there is a law, I forget what it is called, that the dealer cannot deny warranty coverage if you used aftermarket parts or modifications that did not contribute to the failure. But trying to get it enforced is probably not possible without lawyer fees that would exceed the repair cost.

Archived