Extended Warranty Question

joeszup,

Sorry to hear about your dealer experiences. I would be pissed if my bike was repaired like yours. My local dealers have qualified mechanics, and I've known them for decades. I'm a cheap bastard, and I actually enjoy working on motorcycles. If I'm lazy, I still bring them my wheels and tires to mount, but I usually do it myself.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
joeszup, 
Sorry to hear about your dealer experiences. I would be pissed if my bike was repaired like yours. My local dealers have qualified mechanics, and I've known them for decades. I'm a cheap bastard, and I actually enjoy working on motorcycles. If I'm lazy, I still bring them my wheels and tires to mount, but I usually do it myself.
I too enjoy working on my own bikes.  It's a proud feeling when you hop on, it starts up and just purrs.  I love that.  But I'll admit, I don't do my own tires.  I've invented curse words when mounting tires.  :)  

• Premium Member
I just bought a 4-year YES only for catastrophic failures but will continue to maintain my 2015 new in July of 16 myself; keeping both meticulous written documentation including receipts AND photographic records.

How does $370 sound?

• Premium Member
I just bought a 4-year YES only for catastrophic failures but will continue to maintain my 2015 new in July of 16 myself; keeping both meticulous written documentation including receipts AND photographic records. 
How does $370 sound?
...three years and 11 months in... WHERE THE PHUK DID I PUT THAT RECEIPT..?!!...BUT, I SWEAR I HAVE THE PHOTOS SOMEWHERE... I SWEAR!!  :'(
LOL... and be sure you have receipts for all your scheduled maintenance.  :D

• Premium Member
I'm intending to get a No-Mar tire changer for my next set of tires for that exact reason. I ride enough miles that it will pay for itself in a couple years.
I've had the classic Nomar before they went to hammered white (stupid) from hammered silver a couple three years ago.  You'd have to change 4 pairs of tires a year to pay for itself in 10 years, maybe.  but no pulling the wheels and making to trips between wheels and tires, waiting etc for them to scratch the rims...

• Premium Member
I'm intending to get a No-Mar tire changer for my next set of tires for that exact reason. I ride enough miles that it will pay for itself in a couple years.
I've had the classic Nomar before they went to hammered white (stupid) from hammered silver a couple three years ago.  You'd have to change 4 pairs of tires a year to pay for itself in 10 years, maybe.  but no pulling the wheels and making to trips between wheels and tires, waiting etc for them to scratch the rims...

I do change 4 to 5 sets of my tires a year. I have 3 bikes. Plus I have friends who come over and change tires too. No-Mar is long ago paid for itself.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Sounds great to me.  My dealer offered me the 4 yr unlimited miles YES plan for $535.  I won't be buying it for that much for sure.

You can purchase the YES from any Yamaha dealer and all other dealers must honor it.

I would not have bought it if I had not found ait for under $400.

The dealer I chose is a rural MO dealer that is a bit north and a 100 miles west of Springfield IL (i.e., the northern most Yamaha MO dealer). I handled it all over the telephone with Brent Steele. Nice guy.

Having your own tire changer is a double-edged sword; it's convenient and always on your schedule, but it's also a time consuming PITA. I had a No-Mar for many years, changed at least 100 sets of tires for myself, and friends. And friends of friends. And frie... you get the idea. It got to where it was burden instead of an asset, especially in my non-heated, non-cooled garage. I ended up selling it to a riding pal who lives nearby. (he was never a burden) Now I pay him to change *my* tires!
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
Having your own tire changer is a double-edged sword; it's convenient and always on your schedule, but it's also a time consuming PITA. I had a No-Mar for many years, changed at least 100 sets of tires for myself, and friends. And friends of friends. And frie... you get the idea. It got to where it was burden instead of an asset, especially in my non-heated, non-cooled garage. I ended up selling it to a riding pal who lives nearby. (he was never a burden) Now I pay him to change *my* tires!
      I might go back to changing my own tires some day if I can no longer afford to pay someone else to do it.  ???
BLB

• Premium Member
I've got a nice Coats 220 in the garage. Got it at a RIDICULOUSLY low price from a friend who bought it few years ago and never used it. I don't feel compelled to have it "pay for itself". I use it for MY convenience and for a few close friends, that's all. The ONE rule I have is, bring me your wheels OFF the bike. I can have them in/out in 45 mins with balancing. Oh, there is a second rule. Bring me some cold beers and great riding stories! 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
I never said I wanted or anticipated my NoMar to pay for itself any time soon because I knew it would take a long time and by then at my age I may not be physically able to use it at only a couple or 4 of sets per year. Whereas I got it for a very good price including their much above average static wheel balancer, I purchased it for the convenience and satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing it's done right the first time. And I've only changed one other persons tires (including wheel removal and reinstall) and offered to do another's but otherwise I don't advertise.

• 2 months later...
I paid a lot more for the 48-month Y.E.S. when I purchased my 2015 FJR. After sold the bike recently, and requested the refund... The refund was higher than I expected, and so far the process of refund seems to be very streamlined. We will see when I actually receive the refund check.

I got completely screwed on warranty. 1. I never asked for it. I told him I didn't want anything extra. I should have read the loan documents more carefully so that's my bad. 2. I asked to cancel and it was a hassle with the dealership to get them to send me the form. THEN I wait 9 weeks, do a follow up, and my paper got lost.

And here's the kicker, they charged me $1200 for the warranty.

'15 FJ09

Archived