Brake Light Project

Has anyone changed out the brake light on their FJ-09.  I think that will be a quick project I do later this spring... just trying to decide what type do I want to put on the bike.

I like the...

Blaster-X (CustomLED.com) but a little pricey
LED Integrated Tail Light (TST Industries) I love the way this one looks... simple install and price is good.
BackOff module (just keep the old brake light and add this module) ... cheapest route.

I'm interested in everyone else's thoughts on this... let me know!!

Additional question...
A lot of sites show parts only for the FZ-09... is it safe to assume as long as you get the right year that the parts are interchangeable between the FZ or FJ?  Example... TST only shows parts for the FZ but I'm hoping it will fit my FJ-09 but not 100% sure.

One last question...
What other upgrades / projects have you done to your bike... I'm looking for ideas!!

I went with Motodynamic's integrated tail light.. It's very similar to the Blaster-X (Blaster X has some extra strobe features) but is a bit cheaper.

I've been very happy with the Motodynamic LED Tail Light and the install was a piece of cake. I would recommend buying a flasher relay (like this one TST Flasher Relay) so you don't have to deal with the resistors, plug an play install.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
One thing to note, if you ever decide to get the MCCruise (worth its weight in gold BTW) it integrates into the brake light circuit, and they have very specific warnings in the install instructions about possible compatibility issues with aftermarket brake lights.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

One thing to note, if you ever decide to get the MCCruise (worth its weight in gold BTW) it integrates into the brake light circuit, and they have very specific warnings in the install instructions about possible compatibility issues with aftermarket brake lights.
Maybe DesertFJR can tell us if there is any issue with using the MotoDynamics integrated taillight in conjunction with the MCCruise control kit.   I do not recall seeing any mention in his install write-up. 

Maybe DesertFJR can tell us if there is any issue with using the MotoDynamics integrated taillight in conjunction with the MCCruise control kit.   I do not recall seeing any mention in his install write-up. 

@desertfjr ... Just adding the tag.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
Directly from the MCCruise installation instructions;

NOTE: - If the bike is fitted with a flasher device on the brake light system this may cause interference with the cruise control brake detection. If the cruise control will not work try disconnecting the flasher device or replacing the LED globe with a conventional globe. Contact us for ways to enable both your brake light flasher or LED brake light and the cruise control.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Directly from the MCCruise installation instructions; 
NOTE: - If the bike is fitted with a flasher device on the brake light system this may cause interference with the cruise control brake detection. If the cruise control will not work try disconnecting the flasher device or replacing the LED globe with a conventional globe. Contact us for ways to enable both your brake light flasher or LED brake light and the cruise control.
All of this is easily overcome if you specify that you have LED lights when you order. MC Cruise make if very clear that there is a difference. My kit came with that in mind, and works flawlessly. I am a huge fan! I have the Custom LED brake light (with turn signals built in) and have had no problems at all. Custom is a bit pricier but worth it for the plug'n play simplicity. Just be sure and order their flasher control also. https://www.customled.com/products/2015-2016-2017-yamaha-fj-09-integrated-led-tail-light 

• Premium Member
I did the Blaster-X and I think it's awesome! Quite easy to do. They say you can keep your stock turn signals too but after seeing my friends bike with the blaster-X I saw I didn't need the stock signals! ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

I don't think I've seen the Motodynamics version yet... I'll have to check it out soon. Thanks everyone for the input! I'll be getting rid of my rear fender and adding a "Breakaway" cruise control as well... Can't wait to start making this bike mine!!

Can you have a LED brake light and the original OEM turn signals?  My concern is will the flash rate be messed up for the turn signals if I add a flash relay for the LED brake light?

I did go to Motodynamic website... not bad at all.

Can you have a LED brake light and the original OEM turn signals?  My concern is will the flash rate be messed up for the turn signals if I add a flash relay for the LED brake light? 
I did go to Motodynamic website... not bad at all.
My understanding is that if you keep the stock front turn signals, you do not need a flasher relay.  If you install LED turn signals on the front of the bike, you will need to install the LED-compatible flasher relay. Motodynamics has a link to a compatibility flow chart here  just above the video:https://www.motodynamic.com/2014-2016-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09-sequential-led-tail-lights-smoked.html

Archived