FJR1300 control for Brandon CC

docsimple

From a facebook member of the Yamaha FJ-09 Owners Association I got the details of wiring in the cruise control block to replace the little red buttons and make it look stock. Here are the details:

Well it is the SmartLine cruise control by Brandon distributing which comes with the switch shown
The kit is easy to install and works great I just hate the switch it comes with
The fjr1300 has the same exact left hand controls but has the cruise buttons
I bought an fjr left hand control on eBay
Took it apart to figure out the wiring for the cruise control switches
I removed the switches from the fjr one and put them in the fj one cause it was easier then removing everything to get to where the controls hook up and it's only a few screws to take the controls apart
The cruise on off switch and set/res go right in the fj controls perfectly
I just had to adapt the wiring to match the kit which wasn't that hard
4 wires for the stock controls and 4 wires for the kit
Works perfectly just as the kit did but with the better looking easier to reach stock controls

I asked him to give me the wiring details:

it was easy to figure out the wires, just put the meter in continuity mode and push a button and see which wire it is

here is the wiring:
fjr--
+ = tan/blue wire
- = green/blue wire
on/off = orange/white wire
common wire = yellow/black

the cruise control kit:
+ = white at plug yellow after plug
- = yellow at plug white after plug
on/off = green at plug brown after plug
common wire = red at plug orange after plug

i dont know what but at the plug connector that the cruise control kit switch has it goes to different colors, so depending on where you cut before or after the plug the wires are different, so now you have both

on the fjr switch set is labeled as -
on the cruise control switch set works off +

i wires mine so the labels dont match
i prefer to have set and increase speed on the top
and slow or resume on the bottom
the on off switch works as it should, we lucked out as all the switches are momentary on the fjr and the cruise control kit

I will be trying this out later but the picture he posted of the unit looked great. Good luck and enjoy!

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 3 weeks later...
been riding it more often where i can use the cruise control and play around with different button pressing

after a reset of the bike pressing the set which is labeled as set/- on the fjr controls it does indeed set

so it looks like everything works and is labeled properly

i just wish the + and - were more reliably accurate, like if i push it once i want 1 more mph which doesn't seem to be the case

still it does work great and looks amazing in comparison to the add on buttons

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
been riding it more often where i can use the cruise control and play around with different button pressing 
after a reset of the bike pressing the set which is labeled as set/- on the fjr controls it does indeed set

so it looks like everything works and is labeled properly

i just wish the + and - were more reliably accurate, like if i push it once i want 1 more mph which doesn't seem to be the case

still it does work great and looks amazing in comparison to the add on buttons
Thanks for your work on this @ryan! I just bought a NEW 2016 FJR1300 Left Switch Assembly off eBay for $80 and will be integrating this with my Brandon CC this weekend! I love my CC and have never had an issue with the Trail-Tech switch, but if I can make it 100% OEM for $80....done!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Well this turned out perfectly! I was able to drill the switch housing just above the "on/off" button and mount the LED inside. PERFECT!

[video src=https://youtu.be/0aqdzmAJPKU]
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

From a facebook member of the Yamaha FJ-09 Owners Association I got the details of wiring in the cruise control block to replace the little red buttons and make it look stock. Here are the details: 

Well it is the SmartLine cruise control by Brandon distributing which comes with the switch shown

The kit is easy to install and works great I just hate the switch it comes with

The fjr1300 has the same exact left hand controls but has the cruise buttons

I bought an fjr left hand control on eBay

Took it apart to figure out the wiring for the cruise control switches

I removed the switches from the fjr one and put them in the fj one cause it was easier then removing everything to get to where the controls hook up and it's only a few screws to take the controls apart

The cruise on off switch and set/res go right in the fj controls perfectly

I just had to adapt the wiring to match the kit which wasn't that hard

4 wires for the stock controls and 4 wires for the kit

Works perfectly just as the kit did but with the better looking easier to reach stock controls

I asked him to give me the wiring details:

it was easy to figure out the wires, just put the meter in continuity mode and push a button and see which wire it is

here is the wiring:

fjr--

+ = tan/blue wire

- = green/blue wire

on/off = orange/white wire

common wire = yellow/black

the cruise control kit:

+ = white at plug yellow after plug

- = yellow at plug white after plug

on/off = green at plug brown after plug

common wire = red at plug orange after plug

i dont know what but at the plug connector that the cruise control kit switch has it goes to different colors, so depending on where you cut before or after the plug the wires are different, so now you have both

on the fjr switch set is labeled as -

on the cruise control switch set works off +

i wires mine so the labels dont match

i prefer to have set and increase speed on the top

and slow or resume on the bottom

the on off switch works as it should, we lucked out as all the switches are momentary on the fjr and the cruise control kit

I will be trying this out later but the picture he posted of the unit looked great. Good luck and enjoy!

What in the heck is the Yamaha FJ-09 Owners Association ? Do they have a website? Can't find anything on it.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry guys, have not been on in a while. Spending money on other projects. Thanks ryan, this is definitely on the to do list and an awesome write-up. Also I have had no issue with the trailtech so it keeps falling under "it works" :)

and it's the first one:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/244679952586464/

good bunch of peeps on there.

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Well this turned out perfectly! I was able to drill the switch housing just above the "on/off" button and mount the LED inside. PERFECT! 

That looks nice. Much cleaner than trailtech!
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, that's the one.So y'all took this and used it with the FJR controler correct? I noticed some other kits ask which controller you plan to use it with (FJR, Super Tenere, and a provided controller) I take it that doesn't matter for this kit? 

• Premium Member
Yes, that's the one.
So y'all took this and used it with the FJR controler correct? I noticed some other kits ask which controller you plan to use it with (FJR, Super Tenere, and a provided controller) I take it that doesn't matter for this kit? 

I'm not sure about the S-ten, but the Brandon CC comes with it's own and works just fine as well with the FJR switches.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

So y'all took this and used it with the FJR controler correct? I noticed some other kits ask which controller you plan to use it with (FJR, Super Tenere, and a provided controller) I take it that doesn't matter for this kit? 

I'm not sure about the S-ten, but the Brandon CC comes with it's own and works just fine as well with the FJR switches.
I just picked up a Super Tenere switch on Ebay for $36 (with fall over scratches).  Looking at the wires, I think the color scheme is the same as the FJR's.  Will pull it apart tomorrow and check it out and will post what I find.  I've wanted this arrangement from the start, so for this price and it only being slightly scratched, as the two switches works just fine, I will be happier.  I will just move the two switches over to FJ's control hub.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived