Which ECU flash did you use?

Hdgunnell

I'm going to be mailing in my ECU...but where is the question.

So far the only places I've seen that have really good reviews for the FJ09 are Ivan and 2wheel. 

I'm flashing for stock parts, I just want all the jerkiness and crappy low rpm low gear fueling to go away, and of course better throttle control. 

Where did you flash and why do you suggest it? 

So far the only places I've seen that have really good reviews for the FJ09 are Ivan and 2wheel. 

I'm flashing for stock parts, I just want all the jerkiness and crappy low rpm low gear fueling to go away, and of course better throttle control. 

I went with David VCyclenut.  Great to work with and quick turn around time.  (well as quick as USPS can go).  I went with one of his package deals, Hindle exhaust and ECU flash.  Couldn't be happier.

I selected 2 Wheel Dynoworks because of reviews by many forum members. The results were as advertised and resolve your observations about throttle response and fueling. Turnaround was very fast. I had it done a year ago to couple with the Akra Titanium exhaust and have not been disappointed.

I have heard good things about numerous tuners, but I know Nels at @2wheeldynoworks well and he has been taking very good care of the members of all three of my forums for years. Even some Yamaha dealers in the Seattle area send customers to @2wheeldynoworks and still honor the warranty, and that speaks volumes.

I have seen him tune hundreds of ECU's for my multiple forum members and every single one is thrilled with the service, quick turn around time and the results. He also sell's numerous exhaust packages that are tuned perfectly. And his price includes future tune updates no charge, in case you change your exhaust or make other changes.

Again, this isn't to discredit any other tuners out there at all, just sharing what I know about Nels and why I chose his shop to be our ECU Flash Vendor. And I am pretty picky about who
I bring into the Vendor program.

I turn down alot of Vendors/Money that other forums would accept blindly just for the $$. But I just can't recommend someone that I don't know much about.

I used Ivan's, butter smooth throttle everywhere! It's literally not the same bike.

The biggest reason I went with him is because there are members on the FZ-09 forum who have went to Ivan after having other flashes, and Ivan's was noticeably better.

2wdw... his experience with the FZ/FJ-09 bikes and was willing to take the time/experiment to create a new ECU flashtune using another ECU flashtuning program he is familiar with that has not been previously used with the FJ/FZ-09 bikes from what I understand... at first we used it running stock exhaust for about 2 months just before winter, it worked like a charm...then I sent it back when winter hit to get a higher education in bbbbbbrrrrraraaaappppp...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Most of the other ECU flashing guys out there just flash in the base files from Flash Tune, who makes the flashing software. Nels actually spends a number of hours with the bike on the dyno, in every mod combination, to make sure every setting he can flash is perfect. And he continually improves them based on rider feedback.

Nels @ 2WDW. He does custom tuning as listed above. I've been very pleased with the reflash he did for me early last year and have the original exhaust. He will make an adjustment to reset when the electric fans turn on as 212-215 std is too hot IMO. He will also let you chose which mode your FJ-09 defaults to when you first start her up. Many prefer A mode. Great turn around time and will reflash for free, less shipping, if the time comes and you upgrade your exhaust. Something I was going to do but very happy with my FJ-09 just the way it is. Make sure your throttle cable has just a bit of free play in it. Mine was tight. This also helps. Reflash transforms the engine on this machine especially if you ride a lot of twisty roads.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
2wdw, I'm local, so I brought mine in and had it done while I waited, but while you may have to wait if you aren't in Seattle, you won't be disappointed.

If you decide to go with Nels, and you have a '17 bike (-70 ECU), check with him first to make sure he can reflash it.
I sent mine in a couple of months ago, apparently the first '17 he'd seen, and he couldn't access it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with David VCyclenut.  Great to work with and quick turn around time.  (well as quick as USPS can go).  I went with one of his package deals, Hindle exhaust and ECU flash.  Couldn't be happier.

+1 and having the speed limiter gone is so nice!

• 1 year later...
So what can I expect from a reflash? I ride in A mode most of the time as it is more responsive. But I really don't tear up the twists that much anymore. I use the bike everyday as a commuter and a fun excuse to get out. I've also been known to do a IBA ride. My old Concours had over 167000 on it all mine so I do like to ride. Help me justify the money and time spend waiting anxiously for my EC to return to me... Thanks!

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
So what can I expect from a reflash? I ride in A mode most of the time as it is more responsive. But I really don't tear up the twists that much anymore. I use the bike everyday as a commuter and a fun excuse to get out. I've also been known to do a IBA ride. My old Concours had over 167000 on it all mine so I do like to ride. Help me justify the money and time spend waiting anxiously for my EC to return to me... Thanks!
Well, that's really up to you. You decide what settings you want to change and what defaults you want the bike to start up with. One of the reasons I like 2 Wheel Dynoworks so much is that they walked me through all the settings to make sure I got what I wanted. (And politely suggested I change my mind when I thought I wanted something stupid) 
They are awesome!

I'm guessing if you did a search, you could find all the things that are customizable via the ECU. I relied on their experience, and I haven't been disappointed.

• Supporting Member
Help me justify the money and time spend waiting anxiously for my EC to return to me... Thanks!
Since I had 2WDW flash and dyno tune previous bikes with great results, I prepaid for the flash during a Black Friday sale before I even bought my FJ. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived