Oil

17a

This is my 1st bike in 35 years. Don't want to start an Oil feud and I'm sure this question has been asked a lot before but which oil should I be using. I live in eastern Ontario Canada and the season has just begun. Temps are in the low to mid teens Celcius (approx 50 - 60 F) Over the summer it gets very hot and humid with highs into the low to mid 30's (Approx 90 - 95 F). My dealer recommends 20W-50 Yamalube only. That would be Ok for the summer heat but should I be running 10W-40 spring and fall?

I use Yama lube 10W-40 year round. I ride in temperatures ranging from 25F to 105F. 20W-50 will be fine if you never ride when is close to or below freezing.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
An oil thread! This is always entertaining... Can we discuss break-in procedures next? :)

@17a - I think your idea of running 10w-40 year round makes perfect sense. I'm in Houston, and even with the brutal summer heat & humidity here, I've had zero issues with a high-quality 10w-40 synthetic. Welcome back to riding, and congratulations on the new FJ... I suspect you're going to love it.

• Premium Member

• Premium Member
I do like an oil thread. I've never put any oil into my bike. It has been serviced by my local Yamaha dealer who states that 10w/40 Yamalube has been used. The bike is used all year in the UK down to about -5C and has been to parts of Southern France where temperatures rose to the low 30s C.

For UK riders, see my post here https://fj-09.org/thread/5191/repsol-full-synth-amazon-litres for some good priced oil
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Shell Rotella T Synthetic. 5-40 about 22.00 USD per gallon.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-Full-Synthetic-5W-40-Motor-Oil-1-gal./102646780?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=3739&adid=22222222227055632279&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=159238221490&wl4=pla-268486119081&wl5=9029578&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=102646780&wl13=3739&veh=sem

Works and works well.
Run a good filter with it.

Purolator PL14610 works great. If you really want the best however, the BOSS is PLB14610, same filter size, but with 100% synthetic depth filtration media that will catch all the debris your bike can throw at it for 15,000 miles claimed. (And I believe it, it's a depth filter, so they really don't clog up, they just continue to filter as the larger debris builds up on the outer layer, and the deeper you get into the media, the smaller the debris is, down to a much smaller size, measured in microns.)

You really want to stop stuff that's larger than 10 microns.

Most paper filters don't do that very well. They do great with 20 or 30 microns. But once you plug the hole in the paper, it's plugged, so you have to change the filter when all the holes in the paper are plugged up. (And the holes have to be large enough to flow oil, so the 10 micron stuff just goes right past the larger holes, and wears on your engine.)

With depth filtration, you catch not only the really large stuff you can see, but the smaller stuff down to 10 microns or better on most depth filters, including the PL and PLB that I listed.

When I run out of my supply/stash of PL14610 filters, I'm only going to buy PLB14610 filters going forward. Why not, they are only a few bucks more, and they filter all the oil, all the time due to the design of the media. (But they do have a bypass valve, just in case, but you should never have it bypass with this filter, on this bike, unless you did not change the oil in the life of the motorcycle...)

Ah, the smell of oil threads in the morning! :)

• Premium Member
I told my friend that I joined the FJ-09 forum and did't see a oil thread...
we're doing guns next week
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Supporting Member
AN oil thread. Didn't see AN oil thread...  
:)
...oh, shet... grammar police....we're phucked!! Correct THAT!! :D

Why the four periods as a separator in the logical sentence continuation structure? I thought the ISGSA (International Shorthand Grammatical Standards Association) dictated only three.

But hey, that could just be me... :)

Archived