Another Clutch Cable option from Magura.

• Premium Member
I had a Baby Interceptor as well. Other than the 16 inch front tire, it was a great bike. 
Another one I regret selling...
Next stop: Off topic... I had a complete Hawk GT NT650 front end on mine, with a CBR600 Hurricane rear wheel. The 17 inch wheels really helped the handling dynamics of the VF500.
Oddly enough I had a 1988 NT650 (bought new and sold highly moded with 65,000 miles for more than I had in it).  Don't have pics of it before I sold it but it had a CBR600F2 front end complete but even with the stock single disk it could do stoppies! 
Another I regret selling but still have my 98 VTR1000F which I also bought new and highly moded now with 107,000 miles.

My other winter project bike is my 1976 Yamaha RD400 I want to finish rebuilding after it seized at Road America and restore back to street but with the expansion chambers because it's too much fun not to run em!   Braaappp  

20171001_185021.jpg

20170621_164307.jpg

20170621_164338.jpg

88_BA_Hawk_GT.jpg

88_BA_Hawk_GT_L.jpg

• Supporting Member
@2and3cylinders - You and I share an almost eerily similar moto-background. My VF had the Hawk front end because I had already fitted an F2 front end on my mega-built race Hawk GT... awesome track weapon. And, I bought one of the very first VTR1000 SuperHawks to arrive in Houston... great bike that I (regrettably) traded for my Aprilia Mille R. I miss the VTR, and wish I could get it back. 100+K miles... that’s really impressive!

• Premium Member
Interesting... I've never ridden a bike with a hydraulic clutch. Is it that much easier/ smoother of a pull?
Easiest mod for the clutch is to use an R1 clutch cable and clutch actuator arm from the Yamaha bolt! Smooth easy pull every time. 
My order from Partszilla.com shows 5VY-26335-01-00 for the R1 cable.

The bolt clutch actuator is 5S7-16340-00-00.

@eeetea documented it here.

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Supporting Member
I ordered a Magura Hydraulic clutch today. I should have it in a day or two. I put different handlebars on my FJ and the cable pull is so bad that i can't do long rides. I will update if it is worth the time and effort to do a hydraulic clutch on the FJ.
If you swapped bars and now your clutch pull is unbearably firm then something is wrong.  I have different bars as well as up-and-back bar risers with the stock clutch cable, the clutch pull wasn't affected at all.  I cant help thinking that finding where the cable is tight might have saved you $300 for the hydraulic clutch. 
Anyway, keep us posted on the install process and the difference in feel on the test ride. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Easiest mod for the clutch is to use an R1 clutch cable and clutch actuator arm from the Yamaha bolt! Smooth easy pull every time.
My order from Partszilla.com shows 5VY-26335-01-00 for the R1 cable.

The bolt clutch actuator is 5S7-16340-00-00.

@eeetea documented it here.

I did this and was initially disappointed with the results. 
Then my other brain cell kicked in, and I lubed that brand new clutch cable.  VOILA!  Instant perfection...

• 3 months later...
Any updates on your clutch install?

I ordered the same thing - but can't figure out how the slave is supposed to attach? The FJ cable is attached by that threaded tube with nuts on either end, but the Magura clutch is not threaded and just pops out when you place it in the stock bracket...

Any way you could maybe send me a picture? Or describe how you got it to fit?

Really appreciate it!

Missed the Superchicken when it came around the first time. I miss mine! Almost had a second a few years ago... But someone beat me to the punch!

Sorry not sorry for the off topic post.

'15 FJ09

• 3 weeks later...
From the link in the 1st entry, Magura OUT OF STOCK right now, as of 3/28/18. Maybe other sellers have it. Really strange - if you go to Magura's official website, and look under compatibility, it steers you to a pdf document that shows availability for very few bikes sold in the USA - and certainly not the FJ-09.

It's Magura Part #2100004-50

I have the Barkbuster Storm handguards, so the axial-mounted master cylinder that comes with this kit doesn't fit. One of their techs built me a system that utilizes their HC1 radial master cylinder.

It just arrived in the mail today. Will update soon. 

Archived