• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Another Clutch Cable option from Magura.

Good luck threading that assembly throught the frame!

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I can't say I'm a fan. The clutch master cylinder on my '85 Interceptor failed on me while riding to work one day. Naturally I was wearing my Navy dress whites at the time.

• Supporting Member
Very slick indeed, just wonder if the cable length is easily customizable. At $200... it should be.
It should be a standard hydraulic line with banjo bolts, like a brake line.  I would think if you were fitting it to taller or more rearward handlebar, it shouldn't be a big deal to get a +2" or +4" line made at a local hydraulic shop.  I'm curious if you can get a matching brake lever from Magura, I would HATE to give up my Pazzo's though.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yep I installed one, you will need to do some mods, the handguards have to go or brackets made to suit. A small notch needs to be cut into the massive switchblock, and you need to purchase the longest lever magura makes for it. I got the shits with broken cables and and overall nasty sharp pull on the clutch. Now it is buttery smooth and consistent all the way through the handlebars range of motion.
I meant to do a write up on it, but got busy with a new job etc and forgot to take install photos... ?

• 6 months later...
Yep I installed one, you will need to do some mods, the handguards have to go or brackets made to suit. A small notch needs to be cut into the massive switchblock, and you need to purchase the longest lever magura makes for it. I got the shets with broken cables and and overall nasty sharp pull on the clutch. Now it is buttery smooth and consistent all the way through the handlebars range of motion. I meant to do a write up on it, but got busy with a new job etc and forgot to take install photos... ?
I am going to buy the Magura clutch for my FJ, would you post any photos of your set up? Thanks

• Premium Member
I've had several bikes with hydraulic clutches and actually like the simplicity of a cable operated clutch.  Also many much more expensive and higher performance bikes have cable clutches, so cost was not the issue here IMO.

Whereas the original 2015 FJ-09 cable was poorly designed and the -02 is better, I seem to have to turn the adjuster wheel out to reduce free-play as the engine heats up. While I do not find lever pull to be excessive or bothersome unless I'm in extended heavy stop n' go traffic, I think installing the Yamaha OEM slipper clutch from the 2016 XSR900 or 2017 FJ/FZ would be $300 and man hours much better spent over the Magura unit, as the slipper also provides significant benefits above and beyond reduced lever effort.

• Premium Member
My 84 VF500F came with a hydraulic clutch, along with my current ST1100. Both smooth and easy to pull. Add an adjustable lever and it's easy to set the friction zone where you like it.

I have no issues with the clutch on my FJ except it has the crappy original cable, which I plan on replacing. May look in to the Magura replacement. I note the Magura lever is adjustable. Wonder if it can be crossed over to another MFGs short adjustable lever?

• Supporting Member
I had a Baby Interceptor as well. Other than the 16 inch front tire, it was a great bike. 
Another one I regret selling...

Next stop: Off topic...
I had a complete Hawk GT NT650 front end on mine, with a CBR600 Hurricane rear wheel. The 17 inch wheels really helped the handling dynamics of the VF500.

I ordered a Magura Hydraulic clutch today. I should have it in a day or two. I put different handlebars on my FJ and the cable pull is so bad that i can't do long rides. I will update if it is worth the time and effort to do a hydraulic clutch on the FJ.

Archived