Got fj09 then rode aprilia 1100

Just like to say that I love my fj09.

My brother has an aprilia tuano 1100r and let me ride it today. The bike is absolutely insane. I was going over a hundred mph within seconds and didn't leave 4th gear. It has 6 gears. The bike is serious. It could really get people in trouble immediately. It wanted to do a wheelie in 2nd gear and I wasn't trying to do that in the slightest.

This bike makes the fj09 feel like a grandpa learners bike. I'm super glad I have the fj09 though. That Tuano 1100 is too much bike for me. The fj09 is more controllable and has all the power I need.

I just wish the fj09 had a more comfortable seat. It's too firm and hurts like two minutes after sitting on it. Overall though the fj09 is super comfortable and I'd rather ride it for everyday stuff.

The tuano shouldn't be street legal in my opinion. It belongs on the track.

• Supporting Member
The bike is absolutely insane... The tuano shouldn't be street legal in my opinion. It belongs on the track.

I totally agree with you on the first statement, but respectfully disagree with the second. The fact that it packs 175 hp and cutting-edge electronics into a reasonably comfortable package is what makes it so damn entertaining. Insane? Sure... but that's why I love it. :). The REALLY mental Aprilia is the 201 hp RSV4, with much more track-focused ergonomics and tuning.

I own a first-gen Aprilia Mille R (from the 'tame' 125 hp Rotax V-twin era), but it's for sale with the intent of picking up a newer V4 Tuono as a replacement. If I'm going to keep it to only two street bikes, the FJ-09 and a Tuono seem like perfect bookends.

Just my hooligan-inspired opinion, your mileage may vary, results not verified by the Food and Drug Administration, yada yada yada...

The last thing we need is to have someone legislate what street bike does and doesn't belong to the street.
Oh god... That would be yet another lobbyist circle jerk from hell.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
I have ridden the current and last generation Tuono's and have to agree with "Insane".
All of that power and handling in a package that is as smooth as a sewing machine.

I experienced the same feeling as you, I was at 120 and realized I was still in 4th... They pull like a tractor and the exhaust sound is intoxicating!!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
The last thing we need is to have someone legislate what street bike does and doesn't belong to the street.

It's happened before... do a bit of searching on 'Senator John Danforth' and the 'Motorcycle Safety Act of 1987' for a sobering history lesson on the government trying to protect us from ourselves. Or in this case, protect us from 'killer superbikes' that were apparently roaming the streets maiming unsuspecting men, women, and children.

I'm a big supporter of the AMA and their ongoing efforts to protect our right to ride. While I personally had some serious issues with the AMA Racing program back when I was road racing, their legislative group is top notch, and well worth our support.

Woah there fascist! Thanks for feeling like your opinion should supercede everyone else's.

Seriously though it's good you know where you feel comfortable with and not trying to machismo your self beyond your ability. Just remember there are people out there with a higher skill level and perhaps maturity than you and that's ok.

Wasn't trying to poke a hornets nest with the last statement there. I do believe we should have our freedoms as Americans. Excess is what we live for! Crank the heavy metal and twist the throttle!

I just think it has gobbs of power and is excessive for the street. That's where self control and maturity come into play. Take it to the track to let it stretch its legs and try to be responsible on the street. ?

Again, my apologies for making such a controversial statement.

• Supporting Member
Hey @charlesfj09 - No apologies necessary, and I was sincere when I said I 'respectfully disagree' about the street legal comment. My current Aprilia Mille R has logged a bunch of track time when i was an instructor with our local track day program, and while it is magic at the track, it's a miserable street bike. The Tuono is a more street-friendly ergonomic package, with that mind-warping 175 hp V4 centerpiece. Is it insane & excessive? Unquestionably. Do I still want one? Oh hell yes! :)

The specific Tuono I'm looking to buy is a 3 year old bike with less than 800 miles on the odometer. Somebody bought it as a first bike, thoroughly terrified themselves with it, and then tucked it away in a dark corner of their garage. The dealer who sold it to him should be ashamed of themselves, and it's sad that a potential enthusiast called it quits before he ever really started.

It may be an unpopular opinion here in the U.S., but I'm a fan of a tiered licensing structure where bikes like the Tuono are off-limits until you have the experience and skills to ride them. It's definitely not for everyone, but I'm kinda thinking it's for me...

I put a deposit down on a '16 Tuono Factory (13.5K+state tax) and after agonizing for a week, had to pull it. I rode the RR version and holy hell was it a riot. Below 6K the motor is subdued - like a wild cat just waiting to be unleashed. Any kind of decent throttle as you clear 7K and boy howdie, you better be ready for some serious locomotion.

It's just not a city bike and even if I spent every weekend doing 250+ miles the fun bits around here are 55-60mph 2-lanes and IMO it's just a waste to be astride a fantastic machine and under-utilize it so.

Archived