HELP REQUIRED FROM ELECTRON EXPERTS HERE, PLEASE!

wordsmith

As detailed in my recent post dated June 13th under the “what did you do ... today…” Thread, I have just installed a pair of front LEDs. They are wired into one of the two small grey-white spare power outlets hidden under the screen.   My post gives all details so I won't repeat them here.

They work perfectly – 66% of the time! The other third of the time they blink repetitively – not an intermittent flicker that might indicate a loose connection, but a strong regular blink every third time I turn on the ignition key. The sequence is thus: key on – full lights: switch off - second key on – full lights: switch off - third key on – blinking!

I’d be appreciative of any thoughts, better still a remedy! I’ve double-checked the connections and they are all fine, so I’m lost! Input will be gratefully received.

Thank you...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I can only guess. Something is not wired correctly, maybe something internal in the lights. Was the fuse replaced with a self resetting circuit breaker, and the LED lights pulling too much current. Locate the fuses on the R side of the bike, under the front turn signal and pull them. Make sure the lights go out.

Thanks for the replies. The ‘fault’, if I can call it that, must lie with the newly-fitted LEDs. I swapped them over for a pair of a different style I had left from an earlier BMW – and indeed from an earlier Tracer – and they worked perfectly.   They will now stay on permanently.    

I quite like these older LEDs and would have preferred them again but couldn’t find
new stock on any of the usual sites.

All’s well that ends well, and by now I reckon I could just about disassemble and put back together in the dark the front part of the bike around and under the screen to access the terminals!

Some pix here show the now-fitted ‘old’ LEDs.

P1020095.jpg

P1030753.jpg

P1030754.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

It's a feature :)

They're intentionally made with 3 modes.
High-Low-Strobe
A very common configuration with LED drivers.

Sometimes the driver is set to start up in the last used mode, sometimes in Low, sometimes next mode.

Mine are set to start in High. I knew about this intentional behavior from my torch hobby and use a switch to change to Low.

Solutions could be as simple as shorting a diode on the driver, to replacement with a single mode driver, to different lights.
Or put an inline switch in.

Don't ask about tints or CRI ;)
but if you're interested in such things an excellent place to start is BLF:  http://budgetlightforum.com/forum
specifically this thread: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/26665

High-Low-Strobe

Sometimes the driver is set to start up in the last used mode, sometimes in Low, sometimes next mode.

Mine are set to start in High. I knew about this intentional behavior from my torch hobby and use a switch to change to Low.

Solutions could be as simple as shorting a diode on the driver, to replacement with a single mode driver, to different lights.
Or put an inline switch in.

Don't ask about tints or CRI ;)
but if you're interested in such things an excellent place to start is BLF:  http://budgetlightforum.com/forum
specifically this thread: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/26665

Electrician here, This guy has the right answer for you.  

Electrician here, This guy has the right answer for you.
No he hasn't - I don't understand a word!   But it's resolved anyway - different LEDs.

Wordsmith. Your LEDs have a piece of electronics inside that deliberately change how the LEDs light up when you turn them on. The first time you switch them on they are at full light output. The next time you turn them on they will light at reduced output. The third time you switch them on they will strobe or flash at a regular interval.

Your wiring is perfect, you've done nothing wrong.

From here, you can either stick with the new LEDs, put the ones from this thread back on and switch your bike on and off until they are in the correct mode you want, or install a switch in the power line to do the mode switching whilst keeping your bike switched on.

Suncoaster was spot on. [ see what I did there? spot on. eh. pun....never mind]

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Wordsmith. Your LEDs have a piece of electronics inside that deliberately change how the LEDs light up when you turn them on. The first time you switch them on they are at full light output. The next time you turn them on they will light at reduced output. The third time you switch them on they will strobe or flash at a regular interval. 
Your wiring is perfect, you've done nothing wrong.

From here, you can either stick with the new LEDs, put the ones from this thread back on and switch your bike on and off until they are in the correct mode you want, or install a switch in the power line to do the mode switching whilst keeping your bike switched on.

Suncoaster was spot on. [ see what I did there? spot on. eh. pun....never mind]
Thanks indeed, BBB - also Suncoaster: I do trust what he says and does, having seen close-up his own fully decked-out bike.   But I just wish the manufacturer had put that detail on the box or on the website from which I bought the LEDs!   It's neat trick that I've never come across before, I must admit, but then I do tend to avoid lecktrickery like Ebola!   But the old-new ones are on and working steadily and looking good, so I shall leave well enough alone.   The new-new ones I'll hold in reserve, just in case... 
I am off to have my supper now - a Valium sandwich.

High-Low-Strobe

Solutions could be as simple as shorting a diode on the driver, to replacement with a single mode driver, to different lights....

Thanks for this... a great heads-up note for anyone looking to buy LED lamps for their vehicles.
This.

'15 FJ09

Archived