Crash Damage questions

• Supporting Member
BTW, the estimate came in at just over $5,000.
Ouch.  Big damage, but not quite enough to push it over the percent-of-value threshold to total it.   Good luck dealing with the adjuster...  I've had decent luck working with State Farm in the past, so hopefully there is a resolution you're happy with.   
One note on diminished value:  The insurance company probably won't offer it to you, and you'll likely have to file a separate claim/suit to get any satisfaction.  When I went after this on my car, they started with a reference to some vague '17c industry formula' for calculating the value impairment, and it didn't begin to address what I thought was a reasonable settlement.   After many firm, but polite, discussions and negotiations, we ended up settling at just a hair over 20% of value ($6,200 on about a $30K pre-accident value).   The actual physical damage repair for the car was about $13K.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more information on how I pursued the diminished value claim.   Good luck!

Thanks guys. This is all really helpful.

The shop is standing firm that the frame is okay but that is merely based on a visual inspection. They haven't torn anything down or taken any measurements. Basically, they don't see any cracks or wrinkles.

In reality, they've said that they don't want to resubmit the estimate for fear of admitting error to the insurance company, or appearing to drift into fraud. They know who butters their bread.

State Farm won't work with me to error on the side of safety here either, and a lawyer consultation went nowhere due to our injuries not being serious enough (thankfully!). I may reach out to Yamaha to see what they think about possible frame damage in cases like these. Maybe they'll have a recommendation or a course of action to follow.

• Premium Member
There may be a company that can image frames like helmets? Might not be worth the expense, though. Not taking measurements makes no sense, though. They could at least check alignment.

Maybe do this before you accept the bike back: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/how-to-diagnose-bent-frame-get-it-straight-street-savvy#page-6

Thanks guys. This is all really helpful. 
The shop is standing firm that the frame is okay but that is merely based on a visual inspection. They haven't torn anything down or taken any measurements. Basically, they don't see any cracks or wrinkles.

In reality, they've said that they don't want to resubmit the estimate for fear of admitting error to the insurance company, or appearing to drift into fraud. They know who butters their bread.

State Farm won't work with me to error on the side of safety here either, and a lawyer consultation went nowhere due to our injuries not being serious enough (thankfully!). I may reach out to Yamaha to see what they think about possible frame damage in cases like these. Maybe they'll have a recommendation or a course of action to follow.
State Farm WILL pay for any of your gear that got damaged, well safety gear . Helmet, gloves jacket, pants boots. Good luck !  

...In reality, they've said that they don't want to resubmit the estimate for fear of admitting error to the insurance company, or appearing to drift into fraud. They know who butters their bread...

Dealers, Repair Shops, and even Adjusters will resubmit and ammend repair estimates all the time when more damage is found. It's not considered fraud, and if the insurance company thought it would be fraud, they can send their own adjuster out to the shop.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

You're right about resubmitting estimates, especially when more damage is discovered. Even State Farm
brought that up, but Ridenow has stated that they won't resubmit at this point, although they did say they
would discuss it with State Farm. No answer yet.  

I liked that article about frame damage. Thanks!

I discussed the situation with Yamaha and they are escalating to someone in their "Priority Claims"
department, whatever that is. I'm hoping to get a recommendation from them as to whether or not they
think the frame should be replaced or if they can provide details to the dealer as to what/how to measure
for damage or misalignment, beyond eyeballing it for cracks.

Still waiting to hear back on the helmet claim, and I've also started discussions with the at-fault driver to
see if he's man enough to make this right. He seems nice enough so far but we haven't gotten down to
brass tacks.

texscottyd, I sent you a PM. Thanks for offering your advice!

Archived