Amusing (to me) border crossing story

krupted

Rode to Ogdensburg NY to pick up a package from the UPS Store.  Was mostly a dull highway ride, but an amusing story (at least I find it amusing)...

As I was crossing from Canada into the US, I pull up to the booth and hand the guy my passport. 

He immediately asks something but I hadn't shut off the bike yet, and still have my earplugs in so I pause and say "I'm sorry?" and start to say I have earplugs in.
He looks annoyed.  He cuts me off and points at my helmet camera on the side of the helmet and yells (I assume because of the earplugs) to me  "Is that thing recording?".
I say "yes it is" and nod
He yells at me to "turn it off sir".
I turn it off and he asks "is it off?"
I respond "yes" and nod.
He starts ranting about how stupid cameras are and saying he doesn't understand why anyone would have one while riding, then asks me Why I would have a camera on my helmet.
I tell him that forgot to turn it off, that I forgot it was there.  I'd just ridden from Ottawa and approaching the border, my thoughts were about getting out my passport and not about the helmet camera.
I then say I have it to record the ride in case something bad or interesting happens, or for insurance purposes. 

Honestly, not a whole lot interesting has been captured on it but I figure just in case.

He turns away and starts doing something on the computer and is muttering "I don't get it. I just..  I don see..." and he trails off.
A minute or so passes and he turns to me and angrily (in my opinion) tells me to remove my helmet.  I was in the process of taking it off at the start, but then we started talking and it slipped my mind.
I remove the helmet and take out the earplugs, he holds up the passport and compares my photo with me, hands it back to me

He says "you know we could confiscate your camera and deny you entry right?
I said I did not know that, and ask why
He said that it is a security breach, that I am not allowed to record anything around the border crossing because I there's secret information there and I could also plan an attack or something.

I didn't argue, I apologized instead and said I wouldn't have it on next time.  I don't see how his argument holds water though.  I could see the same things with my eyes. And what about the countless cellphones and dashcams people have?  How is my helmet camera more dangerous?  I don't know, maybe cellphones and dash cams are illegal at the border too by law?
He tells me to go on, and to not record at the border next time.

Coming back across into Canada, right away point at my camera and tell him it's off. 
He shrugs and says "ok" and asks about my decalarations.
Just before he waves me through, I briefly mention to that border guard about how I forgot my helmet camera when I crossed into the US and got chewed out.
He chuckles a bit and shakes his head and says that he's "not surprised that irritated them".

I have crossed before a couple times with the camera, no one has ever made mention of it.  I assume that this guy was having a bad day maybe, or is just a stickler for rules.

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

Heh, sounds like the first time around you crossed paths with a grumpy Gus. Everyone has a bad day from time to time and some people are just jerks. I've found the best policy is exactly how you handled it, just keep calm and polite until you're on your way.

I had an asshole Canadian border patrol agent when driving into Canada for my kid's hockey tournament. Wife, myself, two kids (a player and his sister) in the SUV with a hockey bag and a few pieces of luggage. After interrogating my kid he made us get out of the vehicle and wasted at least half an hour of our time for no good reason (I guess they had searched the car and luggage). He was unfriendly, borderline hostile. I wish I could suggest to him to eat a bag of d!kks, but I knew better.

• Premium Member
In my college days I'd ride my bicycle from Buffalo over the peace bridge into Canada once a week to get a case (12 cans) of Canadian beer. Border Guards both ways would just wave me though. Much simpler times in the early eighties...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Same experience here. In 2010 me and for of my friends leave sweet Tennessee for a week of fishing in Ontario. Crossing into Canada couldn't have been easier. A couple of questions politely asked and answered. Coming back into the good ol' USA was a different story. One of our guys had his phone out and made the mistake of snapping a picture. The crossing guard yelled at him and I swear was about to pull his gun. We were piled up 5 deep in a Durango and pulling a trailer. The guard asked me what we had been doing in Canada and what was in the tarp covered trailer. I told him that we had been fishing at lake Biscotasing and that the trailer contained our gear and clothing. He looked at me sternly and asked if I minded if he searched the trailer. I jokingly said that if he wanted to go through 5 grown men's weeks worth of dirty underwear, to be my guest. The stench coming from the Durango was a clue to what he could look foreword too. He made his way to the trailer and poked around a little. He very briefly lifted the tarp. Then came up and told us we could be on our way. Thank goodness for dirty drawers.
Later, while paying the toll for the big bridge in Michigan the nic lady in the booth asked what 5 grown men had been doing in Canada for a week and if we had fun. Without thinking I told her that we had done some fishing and saw a lot of beaver. Which was the honest truth. There were bever everywhere up there. She grinned as her face turned red. That's when I realized what I had said. She could tell that I had embarrassed myself and giggled as she gave me my change. It was a fun trip.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Same experience here. In 2010 me and four of my friends left sweet Tennessee for a week of fishing in Ontario. Crossing into Canada couldn't have been easier. A couple of questions politely asked and answered....... Coming back into the good ol' USA was a different story......
One of our guys had his phone out and made the mistake of snapping a picture. The crossing guard yelled at him and I swear was about to pull his gun. We were piled up 5 deep in a Durango and pulling a trailer. The guard asked me what we had been doing in Canada and what was in the tarp covered trailer. I told him that we had been fishing at lake Biscotasing and that the trailer contained our gear and clothing. He looked at me sternly and asked if I minded if he searched the trailer. I jokingly said that if he wanted to go through 5 grown men's weeks worth of dirty underwear, to be my guest. He wasn't amused. The stench coming from the Durango was a clue to what he could look foreword too. He made his way to the trailer and poked around a little. He very briefly lifted the tarp. Then came up and told us we could be on our way. Thank goodness for dirty drawers.
Later, while paying the toll for the big bridge in Michigan the nice lady in the booth asked what 5 grown men had been doing in Canada for a week and if we had fun. Without thinking I told her that we had done some fishing and saw a lot of beaver. Which was the honest truth. There were bever everywhere up there. She grinned and her face turned a little red. That's when I realized what I had said. She could tell that I had embarrassed myself and giggled as she gave me my change. It was a fun trip.

Let’s go Brandon

I got married in las Vegas, along long time ago, we arrived in Minneapolis for our connecting flight to Vegas and went through immigration, we were asked the purpose of our visit, and on answering going to Vegas to get married the young lady officer replied "why didn't you get married in your own country"
I was lost for words and paused for a moment, i then replied that it was a thing that people who are not religious do, Vegas is kind of famous around the world as a place to get married, she asked more stupid questions regarding getting married in the US and not the UK, i started to realise that she was not the sharpest tool in the box, but i also knew the power she had over me at that moment, so smile and be polite is always the best policy when dealing with Immigration anywhere in the world.

As with most Vegas marriages it didn't last.

I got married in las Vegas, along long time ago, we arrived in Minneapolis for our connecting flight to Vegas and went through immigration, we were asked the purpose of our visit, and on answering going to Vegas to get married the young lady officer replied "why didn't you get married in your own country" I was lost for words and paused for a moment, i then replied that it was a thing that people who are not religious do, Vegas is kind of famous around the world as a place to get married, she asked more stupid questions regarding getting married in the US and not the UK, i started to realise that she was not the sharpest tool in the box, but i also knew the power she had over me at that moment, so smile and be polite is always the best policy when dealing with Immigration anywhere in the world.

As with most Vegas marriages it didn't last.
Maybe you should've married the Immigration chick instead... ::)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 1 month later...
Guest kernowjim
Why is there even a border control into the USA from Canada?  I mean I understand the need for one going INTO Canada but who the hell wants to defect to the USA when they live in Canada?

Why is there even a border control into the USA from Canada?  I mean I understand the need for one going INTO Canada but who the hell wants to defect to the USA when they live in Canada?

Defect is a wrong word. To find better opportunities is always a good reason. Personally know quite a few Canucks who did just that.

• Premium Member
Canada is the garden of Eden and a workers paradise all rolled into one. 
All of them here in south Florida tell me so.  Makes me wonder why they are here......... 
I_just_rolled_my_eyes.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived