Footpeg removal - How?

chappssss

I bought a set of puig sport rider footpegs. Right one went on fine, but the left one does not seem to have a removable pin. I do not own any power tools and have never used them on a bike before so my DIY experience is minimal. Can someone explain the best way to get this thing off? Tools needed and pictures would be a definite help!

Thanks

You will need to drill the fat end off the pin going through the original footpeg. Electric drill and a large drill bit required. Very quick to do, so perhaps you can borrow a drill?
  • Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

You can use a dremel or a cheap angle grinder.  Grind the fat end of the bolt (the end closest to the ground).   When it's ground down enough, the pin will pop off.  You are then free to remove the bolt holding the peg and install your new one.

Your kit didn't come with any pins?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Your kit didn't come with any pins?
Nope :( 

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-sport-footpegs

You will need to drill the fat end off the pin going through the original footpeg. Electric drill and a large drill bit required. Very quick to do, so perhaps you can borrow a drill?
I've done this twice now, so if I may: you do need a very sharp (new or almost new, preferably) drill bit, and to keep up pressure steadily when drilling the old pin out.
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Its really very simple. Once you're done you'll wonder what you were worried about. Drill with a large bit from the bottom side. Took me 15 seconds max.
I agree.. I was hesitant at first, but once I did it... it's so simple.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 9:02 AM, chappssss said:

I bought a set of puig sport rider footpegs. Right one went on fine, but the left one does not seem to have a removable pin. I do not own any power tools and have never used them on a bike before so my DIY experience is minimal. Can someone explain the best way to get this thing off? Tools needed and pictures would be a definite help!

Thanks

Moving this out of the tech tips section, questions do not go in here, they go in the tech questions board. 

• 1 year later...

Old thread renewed........I drilled out the left footpeg pin in a few minutes using a 1/2 drill bit.  It was pretty easy to do and I installed an 8mm bolt/nut combo until my new pegs and replacement clevis pin arrive.  This was done on my 2019 Tracer GT.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 2