Hi, Prospective owner

johncw

Hi,
After years of considering sport-touring options e.g. Ninja 1000, GSX-S1000F, R1200R (with a screen), new Ducati Supersport, etc, etc and going around in circles have decided a new FJ-09 (as you're no doubt aware called the MT-09 Tracer here is Australia) is going to be the next bike.  Light weigh is important to me.  Never been in any hurry as I still quite like my current ride, but the engine is clearly starting to get a little tired.

So I ring up the dealer to inquire when the 2017 model will arrive in Australia.  Dunno is the answer, maybe never he reckons and Yamaha Australia may just go straight to the 2018 model.  He doesn't know, but reckons the dealers are kept completely in the dark. 

Great I think to myself, so here I am still sitting waiting ....... Dealer says come over and give the 2016 demo they have on the floor a test ride, probably things he can talk me into it.  I'll go take a ride, but not much chance I'd buy a 2016 model knowing the 2017 model is already released overseas.  Knowing a slipper clutch is on the 2017 is the issue.

Anyhow, that's my story.

John.

Hi, After years of considering sport-touring options e.g. Ninja 1000, GSX-S1000F, R1200R (with a screen), new Ducati Supersport, etc, etc and going around in circles have decided a new FJ-09 (as you're no doubt aware called the MT-09 Tracer here is Australia) is going to be the next bike.  Light weigh is important to me.  Never been in any hurry as I still quite like my current ride, but the engine is clearly starting to get a little tired.

So I ring up the dealer to inquire when the 2017 model will arrive in Australia.  Dunno is the answer, maybe never he reckons and Yamaha Australia may just go straight to the 2018 model.  He doesn't know, but reckons the dealers are kept completely in the dark. 

Great I think to myself, so here I am still sitting waiting ....... Dealer says come over and give the 2016 demo they have on the floor a test ride, probably things he can talk me into it.  I'll go take a ride, but not much chance I'd buy a 2016 model knowing the 2017 model is already released overseas.  Knowing a slipper clutch is on the 2017 is the issue.

Anyhow, that's my story.

John.
Fellow Aussie Oz here, john.   The tale of the Tracer here in Oz is a strange one (I'm on my third) and there still seems to be plenty of brand-new 2015 bikes for sale.   For reasons beyond me they just haven't caught on here, despite the excellent value-for-money they represent - $AUD$15,000 including the hard panniers.   OK, the bike is by no means perfect - in fact deeply flawed in some ways, IMHO - but most issues can be dealt with in an affordable manner.  And in the three or so years they've been here I've yet to see another Tracer on the road except when 'by appointment' meeting-up with a cuppla other owners quite recently. 
Good luck with the quest!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Hi, After years of considering sport-touring options e.g. Ninja 1000, GSX-S1000F, R1200R (with a screen), new Ducati Supersport, etc, etc and going around in circles have decided a new FJ-09 (as you're no doubt aware called the MT-09 Tracer here is Australia) is going to be the next bike.  Light weigh is important to me.  Never been in any hurry as I still quite like my current ride, but the engine is clearly starting to get a little tired.

Anyhow, that's my story.

John.
Fellow Aussie Oz here, john.   The tale of the Tracer here in Oz is a strange one (I'm on my third) and there still seems to be plenty of brand-new 2015 bikes for sale.   For reasons beyond me they just haven't caught on here, despite the excellent value-for-money they represent - $AUD$15,000 including the hard panniers.   OK, the bike is by no means perfect - in fact deeply flawed in some ways, IMHO - but most issues can be dealt with in an affordable manner.  And in the three or so years they've been here I've yet to see another Tracer on the road except when 'by appointment' meeting-up with a cuppla other owners quite recently. 
Good luck with the quest!

I've always been interested in the Tracer, but it's been those flaws that have held me back. However how I came around was one day deciding enough is enough, can't look forever, I'm going to buy an R1200R and 'tracerise' it. So in my mind I'm going to fork out $26K for a bike that I still think is 20+kg too heavy, and massively over-engineered (meaning complexity, reliability, and cost). So than the brain thinks, if I buy a new Tracer, and spend some of that $10K difference to the price of an R1200R on fixing up the things that seem to be easily fixed (proper screen meaning flick the bark busters , top line suspension, comfortable seat) say $4K I reckon should cover it ...... have I got just about exactly what I was looking for??? 

That's the current thinking.  I'm not really worried about resale value.

Guest kernowjim
Surely if you're considering modifying a R1200R to in some way replicate an FJ-09/Tracer then the BMW S1000XR would be a closer match?  (not that I'd ever personally buy a BMW in the first place)

Surely if you're considering modifying a R1200R to in some way replicate an FJ-09/Tracer then the BMW S1000XR would be a closer match?  (not that I'd ever personally buy a BMW in the first place)
Don't like the look of the S1000XR at all.  Just hate that Donald Duck face and beak.

Avoid the 2017 bikes,nothing wrong with em, you will be better off with a pre-2017 bike...the main reason is the ability to use the dash board diagnostic features to clear codes or set a sensor range without having a dealership clear a code which they usally charge for... as for the slip/assist clutch- it can be easily retrofitted into the older year bikes, few detailed threads on the subject ... slip/assist clutch is not deal-breaker- reports on forum say the clutch is not as noisy and it's pull is a tad easier, that's it...

As for the suspension, windscreen(ppl want a windshield outta a windscreen ?), handguards- don't read too much into em till you actually get some seat time in on the FJ-09...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
The only complaint that I have about my FJ is that I don't have enough time to ride it the way I'd like to. Of course, it took some doing to get it to this level. New suspension, seat, windshield, cruise... The list goes on. But it is perfect for me now. I've owned a lot of bikes of all genres, but I can honestly say that my FJ is the best of the lot.

Mine is a 2015. I'm sure that the slipper clutch is nice to have, and I've had them on other bikes, but I don't really notice its absence on the FJ. I wouldn't let that hold you back from checking out some older inventory.

The only complaint that I have about my FJ is that I don't have enough time to ride it the way I'd like to. Of course, it took some doing to get it to this level. New suspension, seat, windshield, cruise... The list goes on. But it is perfect for me now. I've owned a lot of bikes of all genres, but I can honestly say that my FJ is the best of the lot. 
Mine is a 2015. I'm sure that the slipper clutch is nice to have, and I've had them on other bikes, but I don't really notice its absence on the FJ. I wouldn't let that hold you back from checking out some older inventory.
Thanks for the feedback guys, greatly appreciated.  I'll go over and have a test ride of 2016 model at the dealers.  

I don't think you can go wrong with the FJ-09. It's a great "do it all" bike. I have Givi side cases fitted and use the FJ for commuting, long trips, shorts rides to Alices (mountain road restaurant/biker meet up)... In my time with the bike I have to say the FJ is one of those bikes that only gets tiresome because it does everything so well. I've had GSXR's, R1, R6, tourers, cruisers, etc etc, and the bikes I have kept the longest are of the same vein as the FJ - the "do it all" bikes that just plain work, for everything.

Your criteria for a lightweight bike and interest is a sport-tourer = you'll be happy with a FJ  ;)

• Supporting Member
I'll go take a ride, but not much chance I'd buy a 2016 model knowing the 2017 model is already released overseas.  Knowing a slipper clutch is on the 2017 is the issue.
You can save some money and get the '16 model, then spend under $300 on the parts for the assist/slipper clutch.  I plan on retrofitting the assist/slipper clutch parts on my '15 model when I get some down time from road trips later this Fall.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I'll go take a ride, but not much chance I'd buy a 2016 model knowing the 2017 model is already released overseas.  Knowing a slipper clutch is on the 2017 is the issue.
You can save some money and get the '16 model, then spend under $300 on the parts for the assist/slipper clutch.  I plan on retrofitting the assist/slipper clutch parts on my '15 model when I get some down time from road trips later this Fall.

You guys have got me thinking now.  Be interested to know exactly the differences between the 2016 and the 2017 models.  Perhaps this is already covered in a thread somewhere so if someone could point me to it it would be appreciated.  I'll start another thread with this very question, and again apologies up front if this topic has already been done to death.

• Supporting Member
Straight from Yamaha website -

New for 2017:

New Assist and Slipper Clutch
Yamaha’s assist and slipper clutch gives the rider smoother, more confident downshifts when entering corners aggressively, as well as a lighter pull effort at the lever in day-to-day riding, all while easily handling the torque of the FJ-09’s high-output motor.

New Adjustable Traction Control System
An updated Traction Control System (TCS) assists the rider in managing traction on various road conditions by quickly modulating throttle opening, ignition timing and fuel volume. The FJ-09’s TCS now includes two modes to suit various road conditions, and can also be disabled by the rider if they so choose.

As mentioned already, the clutch can be retrofitted for a couple of hundred dollars and as far as two mode traction control? Gimmick? worth spending the extra money? thats up to you.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I've always been interested in the Tracer, but it's been those flaws that have held me back. However how I came around was one day deciding enough is enough, can't look forever, I'm going to buy an R1200R and 'tracerise' it. So in my mind I'm going to fork out $26K for a bike that I still think is 20+kg too heavy, and massively over-engineered (meaning complexity, reliability, and cost). So than the brain thinks, if I buy a new Tracer, and spend some of that $10K difference to the price of an R1200R on fixing up the things that seem to be easily fixed (proper screen meaning flick the bark busters , top line suspension, comfortable seat) say $4K I reckon should cover it ...... have I got just about exactly what I was looking for??? 

That's the current thinking.  I'm not really worried about resale value.

Having owned many boxer twins - most recently a 1200 GS LC and 1200 R LC, see pix - and now on my third MT-09 Tracer I believe that one could spend as much as is possible to Tracerise the Roadster and to Roadsterise the Tracer, and it still wouldn't be enough: the two are poles apart in just about every respect, and equally rarely seen here.   And no disrespect to either bike!    
The 20kg weight difference between the two seems minor, but I found, being old and weak, that the MT seems very much lighter than the 20kg suggests.   This shows itself when shoving the bike around in the garage, and importantly on the road, where the Tracer is infinitely more 'flickable' than any boxer twin.

I never had to tweak anything at all on any of my BMWs, although I always added Grip Puppies, a decent horn, and front hi-viz LEDS, but never, ever had to touch suspensions or seats.   Screens - yes, but largely for appearance reasons.

On my current (again, third) Tracer I've benefitted a lot from my earlier ones, and importantly from the contributions here and from the vast array of aftermarket parts now available.   But for all that I reckon I've spend less than AUD$1200 on my current machine, of which the BAGSTER seat comprises almost half at AUD$540 delivered (although not yet received).   Most of the rest is nice-to-have rather than absolutely necessary aftermarket stuff such as (again) Grip Puppies, a decent horn, front hi-viz LEDs and rear brake flashing LEDs, adjustable brake and clutch levers, and a few more minor incidentals.

BMW lost me when they deleted the incomparable Telelever front-end from the Roadster (still on the GS and LT) for mealy-mouthed accountancy-speak reasons.   More so when they added so much complex, hard-to-master, costly, fragile (perhaps) electronic gadgetry in recent models, doubtless taking a cue from their car division.   Some of these 'aids' like the excellent cruise-control (the only thing I miss) are great to have, while other things such as clutchless gear-changes may be desirable on the race-track, but on the road for the ordinary rider.....?   I won't be at all surprised if on BMW's next R there are gyroscope-controlled servo-assisted cup-holder stabilisers.

BMWs have always been premium-priced, but are nowadays nearing the realms of unaffordability, with the new Rs now retailing for (as you say) $26,000 - they have (for some) too much weight, too much plastic, too many $$$s on the price-sticker, and too much electronological gimmickry.   Take look at the lhs grip on my GS - how many digits have you got?!

I think the Tracer suffers from being in no-man's land as far as its intended market is concerned.   It's neither a flat-out hooligan sports-bike, nor a fully competent tourer, IMHO.   That may be why it's way down the sales charts in many markets, including here in Oz, and frankly I can't see the addition of cruise control (unless at a tiny cost premium) and/ or slipper clutch making a lot of difference.   But, as a budget-priced platform to spend some money on and tailor to an individual's needs and wants, it is a good start.   Again IMHO.

But, john, I look forward to reading your impressions after that test-ride!
P1030147.jpg

P1030149.jpg

P1030283.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived