Brakes: any life saving advantage to stainless brake lines?

I am about to have the brake lines flushed at 16000 miles and 'Considered' replacing the half worn OEM pads with Galfer semi-metallic and upgrading the rubber brake lines to Speigler stainless steel.
I can read all day long about the improved "feel" of the stainless lines vs OEM.
But is there proof so to speak that you are actually improving your braking in an appreciable way. What I mean is that by paying attention to my surroundings and conditions, riding within my skill level, or even practicing braking under different conditions will I be safer than buying aftermarket upgrades that may not actually improve performance? A small increase in linear firmness isn't, I think, going to make an appreciable difference as much as say ABS or even staying alert? Of course the easy answer is do it all.
This is a question for discussion as much as reflection on my part. The upgrades will cost around $500 as a qualified shop will do the install. This is not about DIY and saving money while increasing owner satisfaction, thanks anyway. There also is not much return on these upgrades when selling the bike as we all know.
It also occurred to me that instead of upgrading the lines I might statistically improve my safety by improving my tail/brake light brightness with Skene modulated LEDs?
Thank you for your thoughts and advice

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the SS lines on my bike, along with a radial front MC. My bike will stop in half the distance as before :) I also have a bridge I can sell you.

Seriously, I doubt there's a difference in braking distance, but I do like the firmer feel of the lever. I've gotten used to a certain feel from the other bikes I've ridden, and wanted to replicate the same feel.

On previous bikes I've installed both stainless and Kevlar brake lines with good results in terms of lever feel, precision and firmness. I don't have any complaints about the brakes on the FJ, they're pretty wonderful. With ABS, I imagine some of the safety benefit of stainless lines is lost because the side-effect of squeezing too hard on a vague-feeling brake lever is a sophisticated computer program stepping in and helping out. If I were to add brake lines to my FJ, it would only be to reproduce the firm brake lever feel I'd gotten used to on my other bikes.

The main reason I see going to SS lines is to improve the "feel"/"feedback" or you race your bike every weekend...
Regularly changing out brake fluid is excellent way to keep consistent braking performance...

Put that $500 towards suspension(fork springs/oil, etc) and make sure you got bikes "sag" values dial in if you want better stopping, handling...

As for improvement in visability, do what makes you feel safe...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I am about to have the brake lines flushed at 16000 miles and 'Considered' replacing the half worn OEM pads with Galfer semi-metallic and upgrading the rubber brake lines to Speigler stainless steel. I can read all day long about the improved "feel" of the stainless lines vs OEM.
But is there proof so to speak that you are actually improving your braking in an appreciable way. What I mean is that by paying attention to my surroundings and conditions, riding within my skill level, or even practicing braking under different conditions will I be safer than buying aftermarket upgrades that may not actually improve performance? A small increase in linear firmness isn't, I think, going to make an appreciable difference as much as say ABS or even staying alert? Of course the easy answer is do it all.
This is a question for discussion as much as reflection on my part. The upgrades will cost around $500 as a qualified shop will do the install. This is not about DIY and saving money while increasing owner satisfaction, thanks anyway. There also is not much return on these upgrades when selling the bike as we all know.
It also occurred to me that instead of upgrading the lines I might statistically improve my safety by improving my tail/brake light brightness with Skene modulated LEDs?
Thank you for your thoughts and advice

The Yamaha stock brakes are made by brembo and are really good quality - they work well. Upgrading to steel lines is not really worth it in my view. (I got steel lines on my gsxr track bike in combination with a brembo master cylinder and R6 calipers - but brake performance on the track is a different story...)

In my opinion, the stainless brake lines are able to let brake fluid pressure build up faster than rubber lines. That means the brakes with stainless lines will grip hard a fraction of a second sooner. That fraction of a second is a long way for a racer at 150 mph, much less significant for a rider at street legal speeds. I agree with other comments about improving the feel at the lever is just as important as actual braking distance. However, my bike before the FJ was a Harley, really, really weak brakes. To me the FJ 09 brakes are excellent, too sensitive and took a long time to get used to. The guys who also race, the FJ brakes will not measure up.

Pads are a large factor in braking performance. Personally I love Galfer pads.

SS lines in normal everyday riding will not change anything aside from feel. The Speigler line's on my GSXR trackbike are awesome. I get good consistent linear feel. But as stated, trackbike.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
It doesn't seem worth $500 to me.

Eventually the OEM lines should be replaced due to deterioration, probably around the 5-6 year mark. At that point the price difference between SS and rubber is probably minimal so it would make more sense.

The main reason I see going to SS lines is to improve the "feel"/"feedback" or you race your bike every weekend... Regularly changing out brake fluid is excellent way to keep consistent braking performance...

Put that $500 towards suspension(fork springs/oil, etc) and make sure you got bikes "sag" values dial in if you want better stopping, handling...

As for improvement in visability, do what makes you feel safe...
I agree with spending $ for better suspension, but Spiegler brake lines are only $200 for the complete set. 

Archived