First ride report: happy overall - not sure about touring a

Did a 100 miles on my new FJ09.  Had fun.  

PROS:

Stylish
Smooth
Great gas mileage
Quieter than my Vstar 1300
Just fun

CONS:

Kinda slow off the line. But then Im used to a 1300.  
Little jerky letting off throttle in some speeds.
Uncomfortable after 50 miles. 

I cant imaging doing longterm touring on this like it is.  I could ride my Vstar for 2-3 hours before any discomfort.  I was uncomfortable after 50 miles on the FJ.  Most probably the seat, and the fact that the crusier was like sitting in a Lazy Boy.  The lean forward just puts too much pressure on inner thighs and crotch I guess.  Im a little on the short side, which contributes I suspect: 5'10", not long arms.  I put the Helibar risers on and it helps.  But could use more if Im going to go distances.

Suggested improved comfort items - seats and deeper risers?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
ECU flash will help with the jerking, and replacing the seat let's you ride for multi-day trips without issues. (Corbin and Sargent seem to be the most popular seat replacement options) You can also buy seat pads, or the MotoSkiveez riding pants.

I can't help with the slow off the line, mine seems pretty quick, but I've never ridden the 1300 like you.

By your post it is obvious you have spent very little time with the FJ-09. Slow off the line? Compared to what? Certainly not your VStar. Remember the FJ requires RPM as it doesn't have the torque of your cruiser. As to comfort you have to remember that you are comparing apples and oranges between the two machines. I am 6 ft 195 lbs and find the riding position perfect. I can do 400 mile days with no discomfort. That of course includes stops for gas, food, etc. It will take you a while to get used to the FJ but once you do you will find your 'con' list is much shorter. BTW my FJ-09 is totally stock and I have over 16k miles on it.

I will check the TB sync and flash. Dnd, understand the apples to oranges. BIG change for me. So those were just first impressions. Dont get me wrong, was a smile on my face whole way. My Trex arms I think keep me forward and the stocker seat just crushes the nads. They will adjust. I was on a Crusier which was like a lazy box, reclined, feet up, beer in one hand remote in the other ;^)

What mode was the bike in. A?  My FJ09 definitely feels quicker off the line than my FJR.

• Premium Member
"Quieter than my Vstar 1300"

"Kinda slow off the line. But then Im used to a 1300."

Star 1300 Tourer 0-60 mph 4.5 sec

2015 Yamaha FJ‑09 0-60 mph 2.9

Sure. Ok.
I_just_rolled_my_eyes.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

My FJ09 definitely feels quicker off the line than my FJR.

It is... :) 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Come on guys, give aGunslinger a break, he only has 100 miles under his belt. That's barely enough time to figure out where the throttle and brakes are located!

Give him some time to acclimate to the bike, and I'd be shocked if he doesn't come back and feel totally different about the bike.

• Premium Member
It's all good. Going from a cruiser to a sport-tour is a pretty significant change of style, and it will take you a while to adjust. The powerband, torque curve, clutch bite, everything is gonna be apples to watermelons of difference. After a few weeks you'll adjust & appreciate what you've bought a lot more. :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived