Reducing the weight of the FJ 09?

morkys

Just wondering if folks have any experience in reducing the weight of the FJ 09? I will replace the exhaust, and that will drop maybe 4 LBS. Are there any other upgrades that help to reduce the weight of the bike? Not looking for miracles, just options for weight loss. And yes, I am on a diet myself... :)
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

-exhaust will drop approx 7#
-lithium battery will drop another approx 3#
-centerstand removal approx 3#
-passenger pegs approx 1#

approx 15# weight loss

wanna get fancy get some carbon fiber wheels and ceramic bearings ? or only use 1 gal of gas at a time as each gal of gas is 6# and the FJ-09 holds 4.5gals so you can lose 20# right there only using 1gal at a time 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

-exhaust will drop approx 7# -lithium battery will drop another approx 3#
-centerstand removal approx 3#
-passenger pegs approx 1#

approx 15# weight loss

This. 
There's tons of stuff you can do with oodles of money. The above listed is very reasonable and common though.

'15 FJ09

I’m a bit puzzled by the thread. Why would you bother trying to drop 15lbs on a 462 lb bike? That’s a 3% reduction. I can’t believe that it would make the slightest bit of difference to performance, to what is already a light bike with a big power output.

Or am I missing the point?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
Just wondering if folks have any experience in reducing the weight of the FJ 09? I will replace the exhaust, and that will drop maybe 4 LBS. Are there any other upgrades that help to reduce the weight of the bike? Not looking for miracles, just options for weight loss. And yes, I am on a diet myself... :)
We typically adds weight, such as taller windscreen, LED lights, crash bobbins, etc. I would get a tune with a new exhaust and get more power.   
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I’m a bit puzzled by the thread. Why would you bother trying to drop 15lbs on a 462 lb bike? That’s a 3% reduction. I can’t believe that it would make the slightest bit of difference to performance, to what is already a light bike with a big power output. 
Or am I missing the point?

depends on were the weight reduction is... shedding weight up high like the battery or when the gas tank is low you feel the difference in how the bike handles...

• Premium Member
Slap an FZ 09 tank on there too, that’ll save a few lbs in fuel weight. Plus the fairings which currently attach to the FJ tank.  
-Skip
Or buy an Fz 09... Just saying....  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I didn't know what was possible in terms of weight loss until I asked.

Also it seems the FJ09 is only 30-35 LBS heavier than the FZ-09, given that it has bigger fuel tank and fairing etc. I will revisit the FZ-09 before they start putting the crated bike together on Tuesday, but I still think the FJ09 is the one for me. XSR is a nice cool looking bike too, but again, even smaller tank than FZ09 iirc.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

• Premium Member
My response seemed a little snarky. My apologies.

The point I was trying to make is as follows.

The FZ and FJ share a platform, the 850 triple but they are different in anticipated use. FZ is more of a minimalist streetfighter. The FJ more of a lightweight touring or supersport touring setup.

If you are looking to strip "all" unnecessary weight off an FJ why not start with the FZ where you already have a head start...

Just my thoughts. YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I think I chose the FJ 09 because it didn't seem too much heavier, but the seat should be more comfortable and the fuel tank would have better range. Again, it's not that much heavier, so I thought it would be fine and I know most people are ok with the bike and the weight. I only started thinking about the weight the last few days.

You bring up an interesting point. Lighten an FJ09 or make an FZ09 more touring bike friendly. I'll look for more info about people modding their FZ09's for all round touring etc.

P.S. Does fender eliminator reduce a LBS or two?

... but the seat should be more comfortable ...
Hah!    The FZ  is certainly the basis for the FJ, but is even less suited to touring than the FJ, no matter how heavily modified or added-to.   IMHO you'd be far better-off sticking to your FJ choice.   You may well find that in the real world that bike feels less weighty than simple statistics may suggest.   It has as much to do with other factors such as c of g as with sheer mass.    
I find the FJ very light and flickable, even more so with the 18L tank near-empty (full it weighs-in at about 12kg), but I think you'd find it hard to shed that amount of weight.   

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

After reading this I gotta ask, what do you want to accomplish?
You can study spec sheets all day and whatnot but what a piece of paper cannot tell you is how you feel after riding each bike
The FJ is the better FZ-09-
the FZ-09 will always be a naked street fighter at its soul, the FJ-09 will always be a sporty touring bike...

I think the FJ09 is the better starting point. I will always look for ways to make it lighter out of curiosity, and also to offset the added weight of some mods. I don't intend to do anything extreme to the bike. I think exhaust and battery are about it for me for now. I will like a slightly deeper and louder exhaust sound and a battery is not incredibly expensive. Perhaps mods I add to the bike I can keep weight in mind too.

Archived