Joined the club today

bronomaly

Hi all,

Just joined the club today with a brand new '16 FJ-09 in black/raven. Dealer was an hour and a half away and the ride back was incredible. Coming from the '85 Nighthawk 650 which I've ridden for the last two years this was like time traveling. I got back home, let the heat die off since I had to buy a bike on what's looking like the last 90+ degree day of the year here in central Arkansas and couldn't help but go back out for another two hours. Already at 250 of 600 miles of the initial break in and extremely pleased. Everything is better than my old Nighty, the power, the handling, and especially the brakes. I read some posts complaining about the brakes on this bike before I bought but I have to tell you guys, you don't know how good you've had it. The Nighty had twin disc fronts and a manual drum rear and I thought they were workable but the brakes on this are a complete paradigm shift in comparison, they really make me feel more secure coming into traffic or a turn, as do the radial tires vs. my old bikes bias ply setup. 

The only thing I'm disappointed with is the windscreen. I'm 6'4 and even on the highest setting the air is hitting me starting at the neck and it's really throwing me around on the interstate, looking at the Parabellum tall screen as an early purchase but in the mean time I can deal, I'm used to the naked bike life.

I also noticed that people now really like to keep up with me, especially on the two lane state highways and that's a bit frustrating. Had a couple young guys in a Jag following me on SH165 that would not leave me alone. I tried to run away from them but they thought I was egging them on or something. Had to tell them off when we made it to a town because they were tailgating me so damn hard. Guess I'll have to get used to that.

I'm looking for recommendations for security, already looking at the ABUS Granit disc lock and an anchor setup. I live in apartments so the bike is stored in an on-site 10'x10' storage unit so it's out of sight but people are already noticing I have it a lot more than they did with the Nighthawk and I'm nervous. Do you guys think I'd be more secure in the storage unit with the anchor or anchoring it on my back porch with a bike cover? My apartments are two sets of units that back up to each other and I'm on the end, so someone coming down the street of the apartments behind me could still see it, even if only briefly. If I was on an inside unit I wouldn't feel so nervous but I only have to listen to one neighbor's noise so I guess it's a trade off. As it sits now if someone breaks into my storage unit and the disc lock alarm goes off I will never hear it, it's too far away. IDK, the storage unit is probably more secure but I'm paranoid. Any other security device recommendations would be extremely welcome.

This forum helped me a lot in making this decision, so thanks to all of you. 

Here she is!ck3cgPy.jpg

Also I have to laugh at the mechanic doing my walk around and introducing me to the bike wearing Speedo sandals and socks, you can just see them on the left.

That said Sunrise Motorsport in Searcy, AR was awesome to work with, if one of you sees this, thanks again.

Welcome - and well done on the new bike.   I can understand the 'paranoia' - it will probably lessen with time.   Me? - I'd put it as close to home as possible so as to hear the alarm, and any would-be thieves would make the same connection, and would also doubtless be frightened-off by the alarm.   I'd also double-up on the security, adding a very chunky heavy-duty chain through the rear wheel and also anchored to the ground, left visible on purpose for the same reason as hoping to deter low-lifes.

Enjoy the bike: worry less, ride more!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Hi all, 
Just joined the club today with a brand new '16 FJ-09 in black/raven. Dealer was an hour and a half away and the ride back was incredible. Coming from the '85 Nighthawk 650 which I've ridden for the last two years this was like time traveling. I got back home, let the heat die off since I had to buy a bike on what's looking like the last 90+ degree day of the year here in central Arkansas and couldn't help but go back out for another two hours. Already at 250 of 600 miles of the initial break in and extremely pleased. Everything is better than my old Nighty, the power, the handling, and especially the brakes. I read some posts complaining about the brakes on this bike before I bought but I have to tell you guys, you don't know how good you've had it. The Nighty had twin disc fronts and a manual drum rear and I thought they were workable but the brakes on this are a complete paradigm shift in comparison, they really make me feel more secure coming into traffic or a turn, as do the radial tires vs. my old bikes bias ply setup. 

The only thing I'm disappointed with is the windscreen. I'm 6'4 and even on the highest setting the air is hitting me starting at the neck and it's really throwing me around on the interstate, looking at the Parabellum tall screen as an early purchase but in the mean time I can deal, I'm used to the naked bike life.

I also noticed that people now really like to keep up with me, especially on the two lane state highways and that's a bit frustrating. Had a couple young guys in a Jag following me on SH165 that would not leave me alone. I tried to run away from them but they thought I was egging them on or something. Had to tell them off when we made it to a town because they were tailgating me so damn hard. Guess I'll have to get used to that.

I'm looking for recommendations for security, already looking at the ABUS Granit disc lock and an anchor setup. I live in apartments so the bike is stored in an on-site 10'x10' storage unit so it's out of sight but people are already noticing I have it a lot more than they did with the Nighthawk and I'm nervous. Do you guys think I'd be more secure in the storage unit with the anchor or anchoring it on my back porch with a bike cover? My apartments are two sets of units that back up to each other and I'm on the end, so someone coming down the street of the apartments behind me could still see it, even if only briefly. If I was on an inside unit I wouldn't feel so nervous but I only have to listen to one neighbor's noise so I guess it's a trade off. As it sits now if someone breaks into my storage unit and the disc lock alarm goes off I will never hear it, it's too far away. IDK, the storage unit is probably more secure but I'm paranoid. Any other security device recommendations would be extremely welcome.

This forum helped me a lot in making this decision, so thanks to all of you. 

Here she is!ck3cgPy.jpg
I am 6'4 with a 32 inch inseam and am riding behind a 22" Madstad. It is super adjustable, and I think they offer a trial period. I really like mine, and had one on my DL1000 Suzuki for years. Completely trouble free, and will keep whatever is in front of you off of you. 

• Premium Member
2nd Peporter on the Madstad, it made my FJ-09 rideable. Hated that stock screen......

Congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the board, lots of great advice on just about anything.

2nd Peporter on the Madstad, it made my FJ-09 rideable. Hated that stock screen...... 
Congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the board, lots of great advice on just about anything.
I'm guessing that Madstad interferes with the factory barkbusters?

Wellcome to the club. Very nice bike. Go to autozone, they have several options on disk locks and chains. I have 2, one heavy, long chain that I have tied to the main frame of the bike, and a lock with a bank key. The other, one that secures the front wheel, got it in autozone.

Wellcome to the club. Very nice bike. Go to autozone, they have several options on disk locks and chains. I have 2, one heavy, long chain that I have tied to the main frame of the bike, and a lock with a bank key. The other, one that secures the front wheel, got it in autozone.
I already had a Kryptonite New York Fahgeddaboutit, so I'm using that to chain through the wheel and swingarm for now

• Supporting Member
Welcome, and enjoy the new bike! As a former Nighthawk S owner, I can appreciate the huge leap in technology 30+ years of evolution represents.

As for the windscreen, given your background with unfaired bikes, try lowering the screen to the bottom position, and move the seat to the tall height. That seems counter-intuitive, but it may be enough to get your head above the rough airflow. Several of us have actually removed the windscreen entirely, although I would consider that a temporary move until you settle on a permanent replacement.

• Premium Member
Not really, if you push the handle bar to it's limits, it will touch the hand guards, but not enough to cause any damage. The only time I ever hit the hand guards is when I'm in my garage moving the steering hard to one direction or the other. Hard to imagine turning that hard on a ride, and even if you do, it just barely touches the guard, so it shouldn't do any damage. 
Others have removed or replaced the stock hand guards, but I didn't see the need.

• Supporting Member
The nice thing about the stock hand guards is they can be removed... and thrown away.  The factory wings are useful in making the bike look goofy and making the bars REALLY wide.  Every other hand guard will look better, have much less width and will effectively block wind in cold weather.
KTM or Barkbuster hand guards are a popular option.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Welcome, and enjoy the new bike! As a former Nighthawk S owner, I can appreciate the huge leap in technology 30+ years of evolution represents.  
As for the windscreen, given your background with unfaired bikes, try lowering the screen to the bottom position, and move the seat to the tall height. That seems counter-intuitive, but it may be enough to get your head above the rough airflow. Several of us have actually removed the windscreen entirely, although I would consider that a temporary move until you settle on a permanent replacement.
I'm 6'4", believe me, the seat is always in the high position haha. 
I'll give lowering it a shot, thanks for the suggestion. On clear highway I don't have a problem, but I live in a rural area and I'm really just annoyed with buffeting from cars and the endless torrent of grain trucks on the two lane state highways. I pass when I can but there's juuuust enough traffic that sometimes it's difficult.

The nice thing about the stock hand guards is they can be removed... and thrown away.  The factory wings are useful in making the bike look goofy and making the bars REALLY wide.  Every other hand guard will look better, have much less width and will effectively block wind in cold weather.
KTM or Barkbuster hand guards are a popular option.

Yeah, I like the look of the Barkbusters hand guards a lot. May go that route, I never did really understand the point of painted ones haha.

Congrats on the bike, it looks great! And as for security, install this one, I have it and I can swear by it - the shock/impact alarm is just sensitive enough that if you pick it off the side stand; it gets tripped! You can do the basic connection with just the alarm very easily, the lights + immobilizer option takes a bit of work.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueFire%C2%AE-Motorcycle-Security-Anti-Hijacking-Disarming/dp/B00ZGGORFM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508424024&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+fire+alarm

Archived