• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

In search of the perfect exhaust note - for me

builderbob

• Premium Member
I've done a lot to make the FJ the best bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of bikes over the years.  3 years into ownership, this bike still excels at everything I need it to do, including putting that stupid grin on my face - every time.

So, I'm nit-picking with this complaint, but I have never liked the sound of the exhaust.  Way to tinny, especially when compared to my friend's Tiger 800, which has a nice low tone.  No way I'd have a Tiger, but they did something right with the exhaust.

I've done a lot of searching on this forum and viewed/listened to a lot of YouTube videos.  Most aftermarket systems seem obnoxiously loud, which is something I do not want.  At this point, I am leaning toward the Acropovic TI system, as it seems to have the lowest tone and won't disturb the neighbors (too much) with the db killer installed.

If anyone has suggestions on other systems I should consider, please do.  I am looking for a low tone, reasonably quiet solution.

I've done a lot to make the FJ the best bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of bikes over the years.  3 years into ownership, this bike still excels at everything I need it to do, including putting that stupid grin on my face - every time. 
So, I'm nit-picking with this complaint, but I have never liked the sound of the exhaust.  Way to tinny, especially when compared to my friend's Tiger 800, which has a nice low tone.  No way I'd have a Tiger, but they did something right with the exhaust.

I've done a lot of searching on this forum and viewed/listened to a lot of YouTube videos.  Most aftermarket systems seem obnoxiously loud, which is something I do not want.  At this point, I am leaning toward the Acropovic TI system, as it seems to have the lowest tone and won't disturb the neighbors (too much) with the db killer installed.

If anyone has suggestions on other systems I should consider, please do.  I am looking for a low tone, reasonably quiet solution.

Please, wear headphones and listen.
I don’ t want to disturb neighbors to, nor my kids when i’m going to work first in the morning, when it’ s to quiet and they sleeping.
But now, i love the exhaust tone and other drivers hear me @road.

• Premium Member

I don’ t want to disturb neighbors to, nor my kids when i’m going to work first in the morning, when it’ s to quiet and they sleeping.

Did you gut the stock system?

Exactly!!!!
Now the exhaust gases pass through two chambers of the three that originally had.
The result is (for my needs) very good!
Loud enough but not irritating to other people.
Really enjoy it now!!

• Premium Member
Exactly!!!! Now the exhaust gases pass through two chambers of the three that originally had.
The result is (for my needs) very good!
Loud enough but not irritating to other people.
Really enjoy it now!!
Good work! 
I wish I had that skill.

• Premium Member
I like my Akro Ti w/ DB killer just for the reasons you've listed. Its a touch deeper and only slightly louder.
I ordered a system yesterday.  Arrives tomorrow (love Revzilla shipping!).  Hope I'm as happy as you are!

I have an akra ti as well.. but the updated one with the carbon tip. Definitely satisfied.

I will say that before I got the ECU flashed I could really notice a flat spot in the torque curve around 5200 RPM. After ECU flash it's good to go. Even with the flat spot it seemed quicker than stock. Probably from not passing through a catalytic converter.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
For any of you that have installed the Akra TI, di you have to remove the center stand to get the stock exhaust off? I started working on it today, but stopped when it became difficult to finagle the stocker off. Also, I was disappointed that the instructions say to use new exhaust gaskets, but none were provided. Did you reuse the old ones?

For any of you that have installed the Akra TI, di you have to remove the center stand to get the stock exhaust off? I started working on it today, but stopped when it became difficult to finagle the stocker off. Also, I was disappointed that the instructions say to use new exhaust gaskets, but none were provided. Did you reuse the old ones?
You don't have to remove the center stand. Put the bike on the side stand and once its unbolted you will have to push and pull on the stock exhaust while pushing the center stand down.

I re-used the stock gaskets.

Also, be careful not to over torque the mounting nuts onto the studs at the header. you will bend the flanges and possibly the stud.... don't ask how I know.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I like my Akro Ti w/ DB killer just for the reasons you've listed. Its a touch deeper and only slightly louder.
How is the performance?  If I were to get an exhaust I would probably get this same model but for $1100 it better have dramatically improved power.  I dont care about gains at 9k and above, but significant gains between 4K and 7K might sway my decision. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

How is the performance?  If I were to get an exhaust I would probably get this same model but for $1100 it better have dramatically improved power.  I dont care about gains at 9k and above, but significant gains between 4K and 7K might sway my decision.
I definitely wouldn't call it dramatic... but its definitely noticeable, even before a flash. After the ECU flash there were gains throughout the entire RPM range, although the biggest gains were probably upper mid to high RPM range.

TBH, @fjmax and I lined our FJs up on a straight and did a little drag race (closed track of course 100% legal). His is completely stock and mine was flashed with Akra exhaust. I was able to edge him every time, but the difference in overall acceleration wasn't huge.

If you aren't interested in sound or spending $1k, just get the ECU flashed and call it a day.

Also, we were able to confirm that at WOT B mode is just as quick as the other modes.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived