Clutch cable: Ignoring the wisdom of the crowd...

• Supporting Member
The issues of clutch cables breaking on the early FJs is well documented, so I shouldn't really act surprised this happened to me.  I snapped the cable on a ride on Sunday...  2015 FJ09, about 9,000 miles.  Well-maintained & always stored in the garage. 

Somehow I figured it would give me at least a little bit of warning that something was amiss.   Which technically I suppose it did:

-6th to 5th downshift:  "Hmm..."
-5th to 4th downshift:  "That feels odd..."
-4th to...  BANG!   "Well damn..."

I was about 100 miles from home, but did manage to ride it back without any issues.   I only stalled it once when I couldn't find neutral while rolling to a stop, and the 'paddle & stomp' technique of getting moving was probably entertaining to watch.  I'll drop by the dealership this afternoon to pick up a revised cable, and hopefully won't have to deal with it again.

Live and learn.

• Supporting Member
I just replaced mine last month. While I could find no evidence that it was ready to let go, I do a lot of overnight road trips usually into the middle of nowhere and these posts had me worried. I was relieved to discover that it is a very straight forward replacement.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I've been carrying my spare around under my seat, but I'm going to replace the stock cable when I break the bike out next Spring. It is comfortably in my garage and not getting any use until the rain stops, and it warms up.

• Premium Member
I just swapped mine out at 25,000 miles. Original didn't give me a problem. Dealer Installed the upgraded one. Mechanic didn't know about the upgrade. He called me and said," The cable you gave me is the wrong one". I replied,"Oh really? I bought it at your parts dept. and it's the upgraded version."!I even gave him the new serial part number. I kept the original as a spare.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• 1 month later...
I will second what Betoney posted. I changed the clutch cable on my 2015 today. No real signs of visible damage but I had adjusted the cable tighter on both my previous outings (cable stretching in advance of failure)? Also, I had to set the clutch side with only three threads past the lock nut to get an acceptable range on the adjuster at the lever. Possibly the new part is just a smidge longer?

• Supporting Member
Anyone have the upgraded pt#? Just pocked up my new to me 15 mdl and may go ahead and replace it while its to cold to ride even though it only has 3300 miles.
2PP-26335-02-00 - the "02" indicates the revised part.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell at a glance if this is the original or updated cable? 
ryCJJz0PGcKL674o8Msuia86jSMEPRy3tiiXuNUSo4t3y4LaCQZxI-X89wlwKvE3_kLNkatqC5M7vULp2niUIS7CLISUs0sWLg9en4nCbnk4XzTudG-2Jj4Ihxxe-Qh1ULWfZAzAAh1sJ6drBUiOu60C0-0BcXuf1s60R7TYepM5iejLhjTMi5jA9hHwkfMSfaKJOJ516kZtGj1GlTaPL3pTt6pb0Ca9idYKxWbW_TzBdfHxodfbR4r0aEOwqb-IeSpHEMjCDTuN4F4y_fg4x6R7HhOLHdkes7dzvF0LjmJIRWQ-U0El5laOdrYlfmGxTQNFpDsZ3_5dM2EztBTH2QMG2H_unBJQ8C4ap5KA9qrzDPfSwRDVOB6WsRBIlkjg0HAH6EeP91yz6Ur7ItcTrr4bg9jXVj9dLGeS787uLXTr4Rx2nwlMq_KbaXeesqiMZNOR1lvqcfC8I1Jh46tVYVNashJxc60i3vpIv1KJ_DJ3Wna8STQ8-ym7Wxs5UN7ouymfQNxGzyjfn1eXX6vLL4RMp2PU1tlTJVtj19w_Vxh22eaCUIW4vCnyfZQDYVI372nlQ8yCCB3vpZkxlWhLfQhxPpqC7137GOopZG8BOACW0uLia1R0VuNSnxPyFPFO-1Id_xzbh-Ek5HPmIzt22nHXbkQoHCgC=w1138-h637-no

I noticed in this photo your top handlebar clamps are torqued/ tightened improperly. The front bolt on both sides should be torqued to spec first, leaving zero gap between the top and bottom clamp. Then the rear bolts are torqued to spec. john

I noticed in this photo you top handlebar clamps are torqued/ tightened improperly. The front bolt on both sides should be torqued to spec first, leaving zero gap between the top and bottom clamp. Then the rear bolts are torqued to spec. john

Well spotted - will sort that out now...

Archived