Front end tuck...

bmoto

Hey all,

Gotten on the motorcycle in the past few weeks, and the steering feels odd. Only two things changed: colder weather and thicker gloves. Nothing else.

Mid-turn, the handlebars are giving me weird feedbac, I’ll describe below... 

Of note: stock suspension all around. 

This all came to a head this past weekend when the front end just tucked on me in a left-hand turn. Didn’t crash. I’ve researched the web and found a pretty good description of what happened: “Here is what I mean by the front end tucking. On the right hand turn - the bar instantly turns to the right about 10-15 degrees i'd say. And as that happens, the entire bike instantly leans over another 10 degrees. Almost as if it's free falling down towards a 90 degree lean.”

I don’t recall my handlebars turning (may have), but the bike did drop 10 degrees and I thought I was going down.

Got that from this forum: http://forums.superbikeschool.com/topic/3644-front-end-tuck/

That feeling I got both pre-and post incident steering feedback-wisewas best described in that same thread: “As far as a warning sign.... they are subtle but there. The easiest one to feel is your body weight wanting to go forward on the bike. Also, front will get a "heavy" or "digging in feeling" as you get closer to what you describe as "tucking".“

SO, yeah... I felt that digging feeling... Perhaps even the handlebars turned in more than usual?

Nothing in that thread or similar ones addressed the cause of the issue to outside factors - just rider ones. And those suggestions may be valid, but...  I don’t have the confidence to get harder on the throttle earlier, the bike doesn’t feel right. The forks are at the same spot they were over summer - raised 10mm. Sag - same. My weight - same.

I figured that maybe the fork oil was flowing slower because of the cold - so I opened up the rebound two clicks. That didn’t address it. I haven’t gained/lost weight. Tire pressures are fine. Winter gloves didn’t do that this past spring...

What should I be checking? 

I know I can adjust things here and there, but I’m looking for something caused by the cold or other factors that I should be prepared to adjust for.

Or it could be something else?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

B.

• Supporting Member
Are you set correctly on your sag front and rear? (correct spring rate?) Under normal riding conditions, do you get rear end squat under acceleration or front end dive under braking? Are you maintaining a smooth even speed through the corner? no sudden throttle chop or coasting?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Tire pressures. Set them to a minimum of 36 psi F&R and go ride it again. You stated tire pressures are fine, but did you check them RIGHT BEFORE you went for a ride and these symptoms appeared?
Or are stating “they are fine” and the last time you checked them was last week?

-Skip

Are you set correctly on your sag front and rear? (correct spring rate?) Under normal riding conditions, do you get rear end squat under acceleration or front end dive under braking? Are you maintaining a smooth even speed through the corner? no sudden throttle chop or coasting?

Sag is good. I'm no more ham-fisted and sloppy than usual.  
Yeah... the suspension drives me batty with the wallow factor - but that's not new...

Have you adjusted your tire pressure to spec lately... say, since OA temps took a dive?
Damn... damn... damn...
I checked them... I checked them the other day! They were 30...

26psi just now... FARG!!!

Rookie mistake. 

Let's see if that fixes it.

Thank you for the responses, everyone!

Have you adjusted your tire pressure to spec lately... say, since OA temps took a dive?
Damn... damn... damn... 
I checked them... I checked them the other day! They were 30...

26psi just now... FARG!!!

Rookie mistake. 

Let's see if that fixes it.

Thank you for the responses, everyone!

Glad you got it figured out.

Personally, I think we should all take 10 lbs of air out of the tires (from recommended pressure) and go for a ride to see what it feels like - followed by the same short ride with the correct tire pressures. The difference is very noticeable and we as bikers (IMHO) should all be aware of it.

And btw - 3 gauges? That’s great! I’ve got the same and can never find the one I want (usually have to steal one from the wife’s car ?)

-Skip

Archived