The FJ-09 Wins

cory

After A LOT of motocross and a 25+ year break I got an itch and, after massive agonizing on what to get, decided on an FJ-09.  
     Going to get it sometime this winter with the only mod probably being an engine guard (unless anyone suggests otherwise) and getting the suspension tuned in.
     My wife gave the thumbs up under protest, but then suddenly turned the corner and wants to be part of it.  
     Half of my safety gear is done with 3 more items to buy and then it's off to the shop to buy it.

:)

Welcome cory. Unless you are deaf and have neck muscles like a weightlifter, you will also join the FJ 09 find-the-windshield club pretty soon.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

After A LOT of motocross and a 25+ year break I got an itch and, after massive agonizing on what to get, decided on an FJ-09.        Going to get it sometime this winter with the only mod probably being an engine guard (unless anyone suggests otherwise) and getting the suspension tuned in.
     My wife gave the thumbs up under protest, but then suddenly turned the corner and wants to be part of it.  
     Half of my safety gear is done with 3 more items to buy and then it's off to the shop to buy it.

smiley.png
Similar history, and same result. It’s a cool bike.  About to have Pattonme dial in the suspension, but it’s fun even without. 
Go ride!

Thanks all. If no one minds a quick question; or I could ask it at a later date in another subforum -
I thrive on keeping most things stock and focus on precision maintenance. Is that a good plan for the FJ-09 except for maybe the suspension? If suspension is an area of improvement would, generally, the right springs and fluid up front and maybe a shock (all properly set up) be a move to consider?
Thanks again.

• Supporting Member
If suspension is an area of improvement would, generally, the right springs and fluid up front and maybe a shock (all properly set up) be a move to consider? Thanks again.
I will NEVER talk anyone out of getting their suspension upgraded.  IMO it is the best upgrade you can do to ANY bike. You have several options when it comes to upgrades, and I guess it comes down to how you ride the bike.  If you are just commuting and not pushing the bike or aren't a very sporty rider then maybe just the proper rate springs for your weight might be all you need.
If you are a more aggressive rider and likes tearing up the twisties (like me) then you will quickly discover the limitations of the stock suspension.  There are relatively cost-friendly options, @pattonme is a forum vendor for suspension and offers modified fork internals that are a fantastic upgrade.  Norwest can perform surgery on your stock shock and I have heard great things about the results.
Next step would be replacement drop-in cartridges and a replacement shock.  Personally, I bought a Penske shock from Traxxion Dynamics and fork cartridges from @pattonme and couldnt be happier with the results. 
With proper suspension setup and the ECU flash (along with a 15 tooth C/S sprocket) this FJ really shines when you explore her sporty side.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Here are my mods, roughly in chronological (and urgency) order.

Take it with a grain of salt--there are much better riders on the forum than I!

- Something better than the godawful stock screen (I got Madstad)
- Some engine guards or whatever (I got the T-Rex combo)
- Some luggage if you want it, or maybe a seat bag (I got Shad)
- Remove the stupid stock handguards

Ride it around for a while.

- Get some less stupid handguards (I got KTMs)
- I got the 2WD ECU flash. (You may or may not want a flash.)
- I have a flush-fitting oil pan drain plug that's going on at the next oil change. (from eBay)

Things I don't have:

- an aftermarket seat--the stock one suits me fine
- any further suspension or engine mods

Archived