Front Brake Issue

timja1

• Supporting Member
@betoney - That’s bizarre. Are the backing plates completely flat and true? It almost looks like they are bent right down that centerline cut in the pads to have such obvious wear clustered in the center of the pads’ friction surfaces.

I’ve had pads glaze from overheating, but that’s an entirely different look.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
@betoney - That’s bizarre. Are the backing plates completely flat and true? It almost looks like they are bent right down that centerline cut in the pads to have such obvious wear clustered in the center of the pads’ friction surfaces.  
I’ve had pads glaze from overheating, but that’s an entirely different look.
When I had the pads out for cleaning, I put them together face to face like they would be contacting the rotor and on the outer edges you could see light through the crack, which would coincide with the wear pattern on the center.  The way the pistons contact the pads, I cant imagine how they would be bent inward, the pistons are further out from the centerline.  Whats really strange is all 4 pads look like this. When I ride the bike, there is no pulsing or vibration from the brake lever indicating a warped rotor. 
I can only conclude that like you said, the pads must not be flat.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
can we get a on-edge picture? Is the pad surface dished?
Matt, sorry, the bike is already put back together for today.  However like I replied to @texscottyd , when I sandwich them together face to face like they are when touching the rotor, I can see a sliver of light shining through on the outer edges.  

• Premium Member
Besides braided lines, as the pads are apparently not flat and must be replaced anyway, do yourself a favor and try some Vesrah RJL pads, as the OEM pads are GG not HH+. More pricey than EBC but IMO worth it. I presume you clean your rotors with 3M Skotchbrite "red" pads with brake cleaner but instead of CRC brake cleaner (IMO the best chlorinated solvent), a much less noxious alternative is good old 91% isopropyl alcohol straight out of the Walgreens'/CVS square bottle, which will accept a standard atomizing sprayer. Just be sure to liquid wax your wheels before and after when using either fluid.

• Supporting Member
Besides braided lines, as the pads are apparently not flat and must be replaced anyway, do yourself a favor and try some Vesrah RJL pads, as the OEM pads are GG not HH+. More pricey than EBC but IMO worth it. I presume you clean your rotors with 3M Skotchbrite "red" pads with brake cleaner but instead of CRC brake cleaner (IMO the best chlorinated solvent), a much less noxious alternative is good old 91% isopropyl alcohol straight out of the Walgreens'/CVS square bottle, which will accept a standard atomizing sprayer. Just be sure to liquid wax your wheels before and after when using either fluid.
Good tip on cleaning the rotors.  I use the CRC red can, but will grab some isopropyl alcohol.  Yes, the pads appear to be faulty, I will get them replaced soon.  I'm still chasing the elusive "soft lever" gremlin. 
Concerning the braided lines, I was at the local shop this morning talking to them about this very issue and the mechanic said removing the factory hard lines is a b!tch and very time consuming. 

• Supporting Member
pads that are 'rocking' on a high spot can easily result in a lever that won't lock up tight.
I sure hope that new pads fix the problem.  I want the firm lever feel back. 

• Supporting Member
do yourself a favor and try some Vesrah RJL pads, as the OEM pads are GG not HH+. More pricey than EBC but IMO worth it.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have the RJL's on order from kurveygirl

• Premium Member
Did you bleed at the ABS unit itself?  Is there a special procedure for this?
I haven't replaced my brake lines but I did recently flush my brake fluid and the ABS didn't require anything special. I have stock lines, MC, and pads and I was able to stoppie on the post-flush test ride (as much stoppie as the ABS will allow, anyway).

• Supporting Member
Also make sure they are installed correctly. Sometimes the anti rattle clips have “guide” tabs on them for the top of the pads. This might have been what damaged the oe pads in the first place.  
Skip.
Are you talking about the copper plate on top where the pin goes through?  I dont think it is possible to install that backward or upside down or any other orientation.   

yes I bled the the ABS. You have to when replacing lines as it needs to be emptied or you will have a big nasty mess. Getting the ABS refilled, without bubbles... well, lets just say I bought three of the large size brake fluid containers and have less than 1 left. I ended up getting a bleeder that you hook to a compressor line. I kept running fluid until the bubbles were gone and then manually did a little more.

It's a bear but should be a one time deal for the life of bike (for me anyway). I still have not done the back yet because of this :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Supporting Member
yes I bled the the ABS. You have to when replacing lines as it needs to be emptied or you will have a big nasty mess. Getting the ABS refilled, without bubbles... well, lets just say I bought three of the large size brake fluid containers and have less than 1 left. I ended up getting a bleeder that you hook to a compressor line. I kept running fluid until the bubbles were gone and then manually did a little more. 
It's a bear but should be a one time deal for the life of bike (for me anyway). I still have not done the back yet because of this smiley.png
I found a very interesting article about Installing a banjo bolt with speed bleeder on ABS unit I am not sure this part would fit the ABS unit on the FJ without extensive modification with a Dremel.  Regardless, I thought it was a clever idea to resolve the issue.

• Premium Member
This discussion has me wondering...

When I flushed my brake fluid it was pretty straightforward. I didn't have to do anything special with the ABS unit. I also didn't use a huge amount of fluid, 12-16 oz at the most.

Is there a large volume of brake fluid in the ABS module that I didn't flush?

Archived