New to FJ-09, need Info

howie333

I just picked up a new 2017 FJ-09 and wanting a on line shop manual if available. please include info on better windshield. I've had good success w/ a madstad unit on my Ninja, but on theFJ; the two face plates on the hand wind deflectors must be removed. I haven't tried another company. What about CalSi shield?  I need to find speed sensor to install a pro-oiler controller. Is it by front sprocket?  

please reply;

Howie

[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]   [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]https://s31.postimg.cc/p3yxylgq3/IMG_20171219_171328972.jpg[/img][/url]

• Premium Member
Welcome! The windshield question has been discussed extensively. Check out the "Windshields" section of the forum. Everyone has a different opinion on this; some are looking for a smaller shield and a sportier look, some want to hide behind a barn door in the rain.

The only thing everyone agrees on is that the OEM windshield sucks.

If you mount a larger windshield, you should reinforce the stock height adjuster. It's a known weak point and some high mileage riders here have seen them break under heavy load.

Also, I will install a J+M CB radio. I have one on my ninja 650 my wife will ride with me, and need for communications. J+M doesn't make a bracket for the handlebar mount. I'll need a reference to a alternate bracket match. I'll be installing a chain oiler, as I've had great success w/ a Pro-oiler on my Ninja. any preferences between it and a Scott oiler? I'm hoping I can download a shop Manual to start getting familiar to this motor. I'll be doing my own maintenance (Valve Checks) and other. I'm also shopping for hard bags. I'm looking at Shad or FJR bags, Favoring Shads. Any opinions?

Thanks again;

Howie...

• Supporting Member
I'm also shopping for hard bags. I'm looking at Shad or FJR bags, Favoring Shads. Any opinions? 

I have the Shad SH36 side bags with the inner soft bags and they work very well for over night trips.  The bags are lockable, 100% waterproof, will hold a full face helmet and are easy on and off.  Like any bags, they do require a specific mount kit. 

Mc_Kenzie_Pass.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I'm also shopping for hard bags. I'm looking at Shad or FJR bags, Favoring Shads. Any opinions? 

I have the Shad SH36 side bags with the inner soft bags and they work very well for over night trips.  The bags are lockable, 100% waterproof, will hold a full face helmet and are easy on and off.  Like any bags, they do require a specific mount kit. 
I used the old FJR bags and had them vinyl wrapped for aesthetics so that I could incorporate the gold forks into the design.  They are perfect for me.  Only need was adapter for bottom of the bags ... I think they were $55 for both.  They fit.  Hold a full face helmet and are waterproof.  For me ... perfect choice. 

Mc_Kenzie_Pass.jpg

I need to find speed sensor to install a pro-oiler controller.  
                                       Howie

[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]   [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]https://s31.postimg.cc/p3yxylgq3/IMG_20171219_171328972.jpg
[/img][/url]

Speed sensor it´s fthe rear abs ring , can get the signal on the ABS unit connector (suggest to check here https://www.healtech-electronics.com/docs/Supplementary%20Manuals/SH-U01_MT09_TRACER_2015_en.pdf )  Or may use an E-scottoiler will be easy

I just picked up a new 2017 FJ-09 and wanting a on line shop manual if available. please include info on better windshield. I've had good success w/ a madstad unit on my Ninja, but on theFJ; the two face plates on the hand wind deflectors must be removed. I haven't tried another company. What about CalSi shield?  I need to find speed sensor to install a pro-oiler controller. Is it by front sprocket?    
 please reply;

Howie

[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]   [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]https://s31.postimg.cc/p3yxylgq3/IMG_20171219_171328972.jpg[/img][/url]

please reply;

Howie

• Premium Member
I just picked up a new 2017 FJ-09 and wanting a on line shop manual if available. please include info on better windshield. I've had good success w/ a madstad unit on my Ninja, but on theFJ; the two face plates on the hand wind deflectors must be removed.
I used 4 1-inch aluminum spacers in order to mount my Madstad with enough clearance to clear the handguards at full lock.  I didn't want to remove them. 
There are many windshield options available, but if you want the best, stick with the Madstad.  For the record, my Madstad replaced a CalSci shield.  Worlds better.

I used 4 1-inch aluminum spacers in order to mount my Madstad with enough clearance to clear the handguards at full lock.  I didn't want to remove them. 
There are many windshield options available, but if you want the best, stick with the Madstad.  For the record, my Madstad replaced a CalSci shield.  Worlds better.
If you don't mind me asking, what's better about the Madstad?

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
If you don't mind me asking, what's better about the Madstad?
Better shield material for one.  My CalSci always had a faint milky appearance to it, which I didn't like.  The Madstad unit is optically clear and without distortion.  A bit thicker than the CalSci as well, I believe. 
Then, there's the mounting system.  A robust, fully adjustable (up, down, tilt) and well engineered piece.  It's a whole system rather than just a replacement shield.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived