How long until you start the bike?

Greetings all!

As an appropriate question for a first post, I had a question about starting the bike.

After turning on the ignition, do you wait until the check engine light turns off and screen finishes initializing before starting the bike? Or do you just turn the key and activate the starter right away? It's a stupid question, I know. I had a bike before that clearly stated in the manual not to start it until the CEL extinguished. I never knew why but cumulatively over the years, I probably wasted hours waiting.

The FJ's owner's manual states the oil level light, CEL, and TCS lights will go on then off (pg 6-1) but does not explicitly state you should wait until they cycle. Just want to clarify before starting (or stopping) a new bad habit.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Not a stupid questions. Like with many things, opinions will vary... but I wait for the fuel pump to prime the system, and the gauges come on. Applies to all my vehicles.
I do the same with all my vehicles... let the fuel pump prime then let her rip.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
Welcome to the forum. Not a stupid questions. Like with many things, opinions will vary... but I wait for the fuel pump to prime the system, and the gauges come on. Applies to all my vehicles.
+1.  I do the same as these guys. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

+1.  I do the same as these guys. 
+1 with me also.  Always wait for the instrument panel to settle and all noises to stop before starting anything ... car, motorcycle, truck etc. 

Okay, good point about the fuel pump -- that pause is purposeful. I suppose it's safe to start after hearing the pump turn off regardless of what the screen is doing. The screen initialization reminds me of the 'gauge/needle test' you see in some high end sports cars. All for show.

My first bike was a carbureted scooter. You turned the key, hit the engine start, and were on your way in less than a second. I enjoyed the simplicity.

Thanks for everyone's insight!

• Premium Member
I wait for prime as well.  I don't ride until the temp reaches 104F.

Archived