2015 model, questions for the dealer

Greetings all, nice place you have here.

I'm looking at a new old stock 2015 a local dealer has available. Are there any recalls I should make sure get sorted if/when I pull the trigger? Any other questions or things I should be looking at for that model year?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Supporting Member
The dealer "should" tell YOU what recalls have been addressed when they register your VIN. When I bought mine, they informed me that they were ordering the parts for the cam chain tensioner, they also said the throttle felt notchy so they ordered me new throttle cables. I realize that not every dealer does this.

Mine was in a crate so it required assembly, I insisted that they verify steering stem nut tension as I had heard others receiving them torqued too tight from the factory.

Realize that just because it is technically new, the fluids have been sitting in it for over 2 years, ask the mechanic about brake fluid and engine coolant.

If you check Cycle Trader online, there are many brand new '15 models under $8,000, keep that in mind when negotiating price. I have bought a few bikes online from out of state and had them shipped, no big deal.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Handle bars and cam chain tensioner are the recalls. Fluids are old so change oil ~50 miles. Check the color of the brake fluid, replace if necessary. Coolant should be fine. Battery is another point to be concerned about.

'15 FJ09

I'm looking at a new old stock 2015 a local dealer has available. 
Woddizit with this bike that 2015's (possibly made in 2014, and here we are on the cusp of 2018) are still available brand-new?   Same here in Australia. 
Did someone at the factory - now unemployed - screw-up the sales projections, or whatever?   I continue to be amazed at this... :-[

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thank you all for the info.

Woddizit with this bike that 2015's (possibly made in 2014, and here we are on the cusp of 2018) are still available brand-new?   Same here in Australia. 
Did someone at the factory - now unemployed - screw-up the sales projections, or whatever?   I continue to be amazed at this... embarrassed.png

Yeah, I can't believe my luck. I got approval from corporate to put my holiday bonus towards a new ride and figured I'd pick up something used. The FJ had caught my eye when it first came out, and I checked the local dealer pages just to drool a bit and see how the current models spec'd out. When I saw one had a '15 for a price I can make work, right in line with what betony mentioned above, I started feeling like a little kid on Xmas morning. It's even the fastest color, red. ;)

I'm coming from an '09 Ulysses XT, which has been absolutely brilliant, and the FJ looks to share many of the characteristics that I've come to love about it.

• Premium Member
I was seriously considering a Ulysses before I decided to take a break from motorcycles in 2008. It was no longer available when I came back in 2015, but the FJ was a perfect choice for me.

• Premium Member
Did someone at the factory - now unemployed - screw-up the sales projections, or whatever?   I continue to be amazed at this... :-[
I wish we could see Tracer/FJ sales figures from various markets. Yamaha said the MT-09 Tracer was their second best seller in Europe (40k units in 2015-17). But I haven't heard how it's doing in North America or Australia.

In the USA there was a big drop in overall motorcycle sales in 2016. Yamaha sold 89k motorcycles in the US in 2015, then only 77k units in 2016. This sort of drop leads to a lot of unsold leftovers, even from previous strong years.

• Supporting Member
Yeah, I can't believe my luck. I got approval from corporate...
I must remember that line for future use. :)

Congrats on the new FJ! It’s a great motorcycle with ton of character... and Yamaha reliability should be a step up from the Buell.

In the mid 80’s there was a similar dump in sales in the US market; scads of new 2/3/4 year old models on dealer floors (and lots of dealers went tango uniform).  Happened again around 2010 - I bought a new 09 R1 in 2011 for 2500 off of MSRP.  Manufacturers have gotten better at predicting it; I think Suzuki didn’t even bring any new GSXR’s one year around then.

The FJ suffers from being in a sweet spot in the market; sport touring bikes are available in way more varieties than ever before.  It’s all good for the buyer.  When guys realize they really aren’t going to ride that GS in the dirt sport touring sales should be better.  Than again, manufacturers have sold adventure bikes as a lifestyle (just like cruisers have successfully been marketed).

• Premium Member
In the mid 80’s there was a similar dump in sales in the US market; scads of new 2/3/4 year old models on dealer floors (and lots of dealers went tango uniform).  
I remember ogling a NOS FZ750 at the local dealer in 1990, but bought a Katana 600 instead for some damn reason.

then in 1991 I was *this* close to buying a brand new '85 VF1000R. I ended up getting a used '87 FZR750 instead. In hindsight it was a good choice.

In the mid 80’s there was a similar dump in sales in the US market; scads of new 2/3/4 year old models on dealer floors (and lots of dealers went tango uniform).  
I remember ogling a NOS FZ750 at the local dealer in 1990, but bought a Katana 600 instead for some damn reason. 
then in 1991 I was *this* close to buying a brand new '85 VF1000R. I ended up getting a used '87 FZR750 instead. In hindsight it was a good choice.
Yep.  When I was buying my 87 Hurricane 600, the Suzuki place across the street had brand new GS1000’s.  The thing is, bikes were improving by leaps and bounds.  I think the new/old GS’s stickered at 2500 or so.  Even the Hurricane new was 3999 (IIRC).

• Premium Member
Greetings all, nice place you have here.  
I'm looking at a new old stock 2015 a local dealer has available. Are there any recalls I should make sure get sorted if/when I pull the trigger? Any other questions or things I should be looking at for that model year?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Not a recall, but should have been. The low placement of the oil drain plug is a serious design defect with the 2015.  Make it first on your list to address before the first speed bump you hit opens up your oil pan. Lots of ways to address it may be found by searching this board, but the most common was installing a cage with a skid plate, or replacing the plug with a low profile one off a Mazda 6 and cutting off the fin next to it. Do not let this deter you from getting this amazing bike.

I have a 15 and just picked up the upgraded clutch cable. Lots of discussion available if you search. If the dealer has to assemble your bike, get them to upgrade the cable. It should be low cost for them and give you peace of mind on a suspect part.

Archived