Accessory Lights

• Premium Member

I scored a Yamaha fog light bracket. I'm looking for ideas as to what light kit to hang on it. I spent some time yesterday going through all the light related threads I could find.

I've been to revzilla twisted throttle looking at the kit options and $300 - $400 for a kit without a bracket is insane. For that I would just buy the genuine Yamaha ones.

I found some on ebay and amazon for $20 - $30, but that seems kind of low end. Durability and quality would be a concern at that price point.

I'm not really looking for hard technical advice like installation procedures (that will come later) just what you may have on your bike (satisfied or what you might change given the chance) or seen somewhere and liked.

Thanks.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I scored a Yamaha fog light bracket. I'm looking for ideas as to what light kit to hang on it. I spent some time yesterday going through all the light related threads I could find.

I've been to revzilla twisted throttle looking at the kit options and $300 - $400 for a kit without a bracket is insane. For that I would just buy the genuine Yamaha ones.

I found some on ebay and amazon for $20 - $30, but that seems kind of low end. Durability and quality would be a concern at that price point.

I'm not really looking for hard technical advice like installation procedures (that will come later) just what you may have on your bike (satisfied or what you might change given the chance) or seen somewhere and liked.

Thanks.
Been using these for 3 years, they are great! Mini Trail Lights OZ-USA LED CREE Spot Motorcycle Offroad Dual Sport Enduro Fog KTM Hid Sold by: OZ-USA
$49.50

These are on Amazon, the address didn't make the trip.

I run the inexpensive eBay lamps you mention, similar to these (spot). Plenty bright for road use IMO. Rode in the rain a good dozen times last year and so far so good. They seem to be well constructed, at last on the outside. For that price I bought two pairs and have quick swap spares (have them connectorized). Run them on a 2A auxiliary circuit (convenient). YMMV.
I too have mounted a number of sets of these cheap-but-effective LED front conspicuity spots on many earlier bikes.   Work well, never had a failure, and blend-in well with the aesthetics of the FJ/ MT-09. IMHO.   Well recommended...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Thanks to you all....

I think I have a plan. :) The bracket, the $25 - $30 crees, an inexpensive wiring kit and off to the races. If I'm not satisfied I'm not into the project for a lot of money.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Do you have a picture of them mounted on you bike? Perhaps you posted one and I missed it. Like the idea and need to do something on my ride. Thanks
e9ssnkjqFj_LED_fog.jpg 

Let’s go Brandon

Do you have a picture of them mounted on you bike? Perhaps you posted one and I missed it. Like the idea and need to do something on my ride. Thanks
e9ssnkjqFj_LED_fog.jpg
The pix below show how my own set-up looks.   Without wishing to start WWII it's generally accepted that the higher up and wider apart such LEDs are, the better, for optimum visibility.   Best of all from this point of view are probably the nicely-shaped custom LEDs mounted into the lower recess in the front of the hand-guards, but they are quite costly, though effective.   From memory the on-line brand is D-Zell, or something like that, ex Korea IIRC.    
No need with my set-up for a separate wiring-loom - the LEDs can easily be wired straight into one of the two spare terminal sets under the triangular screen support plate - lots of info on that approach is to be found here.  And for no better reason than that I had a spare handlebar-mounted switch I chose to install that into the circuit too.

P1040348.jpg

P1040349.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I’ve just read a letter that was in Motorcycle News in the UK. It was written by a very experienced motorcyclist who was driving his car at night. He was at a T junction, waiting to turn onto a fast road, looked to the side and saw twin lights close together and presumed from their spacing that this was a car but a long way into the distance. Luckily he checked again before pulling out as he then realised it was an adventure bike with twin auxiliary lights, very close to the junction.

On our bikes it shouldn’t be a problem as even on dipped beam you would have a triangle of lights with auxiliary lights on, but l suppose it shows the possibility for error in judgement when looking at twin light setups at night.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Without wishing to start WWII it's generally accepted that the higher up and wider apart such LEDs are, the better, for optimum visibility.   
If you wish to start WWII you'll need to begin with an invasion of Poland or China.

I like your light setup. Does the bracket mount to the stock Yamaha accessory bracket position, or somewhere else?

Without wishing to start WWII it's generally accepted that the higher up and wider apart such LEDs are, the better, for optimum visibility.   
If you wish to start WWII you'll need to begin with an invasion of Poland or China. 
I like your light setup. Does the bracket mount to the stock Yamaha accessory bracket position, or somewhere else?
The 'bracket' is not really a bracket - it's simply a 40cm/ 16" length of about 20mm o/d very thin-walled very stiff steel tube that I had lying around, awaiting such a use!  From memory, on old discarded broom handle.    It's fastened via 2 x metal threads from below into two Nyloc nuts that are carried on the drilled-out curved honeycomb structure immediately under the headlights.   To ensure that the threads were carried vertically I passed each through a short length of stiff plastic (IIRC, a cut-off piece of a garden irrigation pipe jointer) which had the lower end slanted at an appropriate angle.    
I keep a close eye on it as someone here suggested that the mounting through the honeycomb may not be firm enough, but it hasn't shifted.   I also had some spare carbon-look PVC sheet, so I simply wrapped a length of that around the tube, and it complements the style and appearance of that frontal area of the bike very well, IMHO.

A black plastic chair-tip pushed into each open end of the tube finished it all off very neatly.

And FWIW, on my previous Tracer I had a bought-in manufactured bracket (sorry, forgotten the vendor, ADV... something?).   It was solidly and nicely made, but to be frank it was a real PITA to install as there's such limited space to fit it as required below and immediately in front of the steering-head.   My knuckles are still bruised from that encounter!

Pic below just taken should show my set-up in some detail.   PM for more if you wish.

P1040383.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Wordsmith, nice set up. I'll keep that in mind when I finally decide what I'm going to do.

Question about your handguards. Are those stock? And do they have a turn signal integrated somehow? I'd like to do something like that to my FJ if you have details to share. I've got the Korean white led lights, and while they look stylish they're useless in the day and one of them has dimmed in the last year. I'd prefer a brighter yellow signal in that recess of the handguard. Yours appears to fit the space well. Thanks.

Archived