At the Dallas IMS show...

• Supporting Member
So, I’m at the IMS show in Dallas, having a great time. Interestingly enough, Yamaha is conspicuous in their absence. All the other majors are here, plus some very cool speciality brands (MV Agusta, etc), but no Yamaha.

I’m a bit disappointed

@koth442 - I’m with you there. .
So, in the void left by the no-show Tracers.... MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso Discuss.
Like this?   Lusso = 'de luxe', or my vocab 'luscious'!  I've only seen one of these delights on the road here in Oz, hardly surprising as they cost an eye-watering AUD$26,000 complete with beautifully shaped colour-matched hard panniers.   I don't care much for the GS-like trailing rear mudguard, and the three stacked zorst pipes are a bit of styling overkill, IMHO, but otherwise - siiiigh, drool, whimper! 

P1020693.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
@wordsmith - Yep, that’s the one! The bike at the show had the bags installed, and it looked really nice. I concur with your observations about the questionable styling of rear mudguard and exhaust, but otherwise I was really impressed. It’s a beautiful, but seemingly practical motorcycle, and the $19k USD asking price doesn’t seem that out of line for what it delivers.

Here’s an interesting article from a couple of years back:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2016/01/article/mv-agusta-turismo-veloce-800-first-ride-review/

Best quote: “Finally, and the elephant really is in MV’s bathroom with this one, Yamaha will sell the thoroughly excellent, three-cylinder FJ-09 to you for a mere $10,490.”

@wordsmith - Yep, that’s the one! The bike at the show had the bags installed, and it looked really nice. I concur with your observations about the questionable styling of rear mudguard and exhaust, but otherwise I was really impressed. It’s a beautiful, but seemingly practical motorcycle, and the $19k USD asking price doesn’t seem that out of line for what it delivers.  
Here’s an interesting article from a couple of years back:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2016/01/article/mv-agusta-turismo-veloce-800-first-ride-review/

Best quote: “Finally, and the elephant really is in MV’s bathroom with this one, Yamaha will sell the thoroughly excellent, three-cylinder FJ-09 to you for a mere $10,490.”
Thanks for the link to the article, tex: it seems the writer liked it!   But I take issue with one of his observations that the MV is one bike you'd caress last thing at night before going to bed.   Not me - I'd take it to bed with me! ;) 
On pricing - well, here I could buy two Tracers for the cost of the MV, and that's a lot of dosh, whether the dollars are US or Oz, but who wouldn't want the MV if one could afford it?   The sheer pride of ownership thing alone would make it worthwhile, I submit...   

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I went to the Dallas show and was extremely disappointed. There was no Ducati, Triumph, or Yamaha presence. The accessory and gadget aisles were not up to par either. The one reliable bright spot was the North Texas Norton Owners club display. First class as always! Following this disappointment we went to Papadeaus Seafood Restaurant. Our traditional lobster dinner was crap, along with the mac-n-cheese and the shrimp gumbo. All virtually inedible. I did get a refund on the gumbo though. Service sucked to hell and back. A true shame because we look forward to eating there when we are in Dallas......
Rant over,
Kirk out

• Supporting Member
@peporter - sounds like a thoroughly disappointing evening. I had a good time at the show, but agree that more complete manufacturer representation would have been nice. I caught up with a few old friends, verified fit & size for the Bell Race Star I plan to order, and generally enjoyed wandering around for a couple of hours.

For what it’s worth, my Whataburger at Love Field before I caught the late flight home to Houston was really tasty!

• Premium Member
@peporter - sounds like a thoroughly disappointing evening. I had a good time at the show, but agree that more complete manufacturer representation would have been nice. I caught up with a few old friends, verified fit & size for the Bell Race Star I plan to order, and generally enjoyed wandering around for a couple of hours.  
For what it’s worth, my Whataburger at Love Field before I caught the late flight home to Houston was really tasty!
The highlight of the show for my wife and me  was when we sat down at one of the tables with a group of bikers from Monterrey Mexico. We had a great conversation with them! They were planning a  Big Bend ride. I missed seeing "Mary" who sold the best earspeakers I have ever had, with the best length cord. Really like the bluetooth convenience of my Nolan 5B, but really like the sound quality of the earspeakers. Also missed Twisted Throttle. MMMMMMM.....Whataburger......  

Archived