2019 Fj09

I asked Yamaha Australia's HQ when the new Tracer GT is to be available here.   Reply - they have no information yet.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
I asked Yamaha Australia's HQ when the new Tracer GT is to be available here.   Reply - they have no information yet.
I was at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday and asked the same thing and I got the same response. Nothing has officially been announced yet. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I was at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday and asked the same thing and I got the same response. Nothing has officially been announced yet.
I wouldn't trust any dealership to (a) know or (b) tell the truth, which is why I went to the fountain-head!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Why do Americans jump a year ahead on model designation?  In Europe, or at least the UK, we've had the 2017 MT-09 Tracer (slipper clutch etc) in 2017 and now we await the 2018 Tracer 900 and Tracer 900 GT - in 2018, i.e. NOW.  We're not thinking about what the 2019 Tracer might be until umm....2019.
Alot of times it has to do with a company's fiscal year. I don't know if Yamaha thinks this way though, but seems likely. 
For example: A company will release a 2018 product in september 2017, because sept 2017 is the part of their 2018 fiscal year. The company calls it their 2018 fiscal year because it ends in 2018 (say from march 2017 to march 2018).

I wonder if there is enough old stock of FJs to keep dealers moving product until "mid-2018." 
Power Yamaha in Sublimity currently shows just one new 2017 FJ in stock. They're one of the dealers actually moving a lot of FJs... How many people on this forum bought from Power? It's gotta be over 20 now. Maybe they'll get stock from other dealers that aren't moving them.

I didn’t buy from there but just got a new 2016, 0 miles that the dealer said transferred from somewhere else. $8995. They must have a decent supply of both years floating around certain areas.

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder if there is enough old stock of FJs to keep dealers moving product until "mid-2018." 
Power Yamaha in Sublimity currently shows just one new 2017 FJ in stock. They're one of the dealers actually moving a lot of FJs... How many people on this forum bought from Power? It's gotta be over 20 now. Maybe they'll get stock from other dealers that aren't moving them.
I didn’t buy from there but just got a new 2016, 0 miles that the dealer said transferred from somewhere else. $8995. They must have a decent supply of both years floating around certain areas.
My local Yamaha shop only got a single 17 FJ that sold quickly, they have been sitting on a used 2015 for nearly a year.  Another shop 60mi away has a leftover new 2015 for 8995.  At this point I'm waiting on the 2019 GT.  The sheer amount of aftermarket items the 2015 would need to have the the 2019 will come with stock (McCruise if you can still get it, heated grips, quick shifter, givi cases, aftermarket windscreen, decent aftermarket seat, some type of tuner module to fix the throttle and the requisite aftermarket exhaust to make the most of the tuner, etc.) would likely make up the price difference.  The 2015 that I test rode didn't really impress me other than the motor, but even then the throttle had a very vague and disconnected feel to it. 

My local Yamaha shop only got a single 17 FJ that sold quickly, they have been sitting on a used 2015 for nearly a year.  Another shop 60mi away has a leftover new 2015 for 8995.  At this point I'm waiting on the 2019 GT.  The sheer amount of aftermarket items the 2015 would need to have the the 2019 will come with stock (McCruise if you can still get it, heated grips, quick shifter, givi cases, aftermarket windscreen, decent aftermarket seat, some type of tuner module to fix the throttle and the requisite aftermarket exhaust to make the most of the tuner, etc.) would likely make up the price difference.  The 2015 that I test rode didn't really impress me other than the motor, but even then the throttle had a very vague and disconnected feel to it.
I think you could get that 2015 for cheaper. I know I did January 2017. Mine OTD was ~7500. I doubt the 2019 will be the holy grail as you describe it. I'd bet the 2019 will still need a seat and windscreen. The biggest items on the 2019 will be the suspension, and honestly I doubt that will be much better especially if you're over 180lbs. A flash on a 2015 without the exhaust will still do plenty, no full aftermarket system required.  
While its entirely your decision, I politely urge you to reconsider the 2015. Especially if they'll let it go for less than asking. Either way, you'll love the bike!

'15 FJ09

I think you could get that 2015 for cheaper. I know I did January 2017. Mine OTD was ~7500. I doubt the 2019 will be the holy grail as you describe it. I'd bet the 2019 will still need a seat and windscreen. The biggest items on the 2019 will be the suspension, and honestly I doubt that will be much better especially if you're over 180lbs. A flash on a 2015 without the exhaust will still do plenty, no full aftermarket system required.  
While its entirely your decision, I politely urge you to reconsider the 2015. Especially if they'll let it go for less than asking. Either way, you'll love the bike!

Other side of the world I know, but plenty 2015s/16s still being advertised here, all with zero km. 
I still cannot understand why... such great value and such a fun package, faults 'n' all.

They aren't moving on the price, so not going to move on that one.  If all the 2019 will need is a seat and windscreen that is still great.  I'm also eyeing a leftover Versys 1k, though would need to drop about 800 into that for cruise (I live in a mountainous area, so throttle locks are pretty useless here, but I do enough highway riding to want cruise), the riding position is more familiar as I currently ride a Versys 650, but the bike feels huge where the FJ only feels slightly larger than my 650 (the lower and farther back peg position definitely would take getting used to though, both sizes of Versys have higher and further forward pegs). 

So found an interesting article today. Apparently press reviews of the Tracer 900 are happening this weekend in Spain. Official UK release dates have been given, beginning of may for the Tracer 900 and last week of may for the GT. No US release dates or price info yet. The GT is priced at 10,549 pounds in the UK, which is around 15k in the US (but should be lower for our market as the UK price includes VAT).

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/incoming-yamaha-tracer-900-and-900gt-launch-test

So found an interesting article today. Apparently press reviews of the Tracer 900 are happening this weekend in Spain. Official UK release dates have been given, beginning of may for the Tracer 900 and last week of may for the GT. No US release dates or price info yet. The GT is priced at 10,549 pounds in the UK, which is around 15k in the US (but should be lower for our market as the UK price includes VAT). 
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/incoming-yamaha-tracer-900-and-900gt-launch-test

Thanks for this heads-up.   How much more expensive in percentage terms is the new 900 GT compared to the original Tracer in the UK please?   This would give some indication of likely cost here in Oz.   Thanks in anticipation...

It would be really helpful and greatly appreciated if folks here could post any links to magazine road-tests, articles, comparos, videos, whatever, that they may see as the new GT gets into circulation and into the hands of journos and others.   Down Here, so far away from the main theatres of action, it will otherwise take time to filter through!   Thanks in advance..

Archived