2019 Fj09

It would be really helpful and greatly appreciated if folks here could post any links to magazine road-tests, articles, comparos, videos, whatever, that they may see as the new GT gets into circulation and into the hands of journos and others.   Down Here, so far away from the main theatres of action, it will otherwise take time to filter through!   Thanks in advance..
Here is a link to a new article with additional information on the new Tracer 900 and 900 GT: 
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/yamaha-tracer-900gt-first-ride/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/yamaha-tracer-900gt-first-ride/ 
First ride test I've seen so far, the GT is apparently on a whole different level from the regular one now and is by far the one to get.

..but not enough to upgrade if you already have one.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 2 weeks later...
[b style=font-style:italic]HANDLEBAR WIDTH ON NEW TRACERS/ TRACER GTs[/b]

I've read a cuppla early reports that handlebar width on the 2018+ bike is a bit reduced from earlier FJ/ MT models.   Does anyone know by how much (across the total span)?  Coming to a Tracer from a BMW R1200 GS, with its very wide 'bar span, I felt immediately at-home on the Tracer, so I'd like to know what the reduction is.

Thanks in advance..

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Coming to a Tracer from a BMW R1200 GS, with its very wide 'bar span, I felt immediately at-home on the Tracer, so I'd like to know what the reduction is.

Thanks in advance..
And here I thought the FJ's bars were ridiculously wide, the BMW's bars were even wider? 
When I bought my FJ, my first mod was to ditch the hand guards and put on a more normal width bar and then cut an additional 3/4" off each side.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Coming to a Tracer from a BMW R1200 GS, with its very wide 'bar span, I felt immediately at-home on the Tracer, so I'd like to know what the reduction is.

Thanks in advance..
And here I thought the FJ's bars were ridiculously wide, the BMW's bars were even wider? 

Well, I don't know for sure, hence the enquiry.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I think he means, are the BMW bars wider than our current FJ09 handlebars? 

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
Yes, that is what I was trying to convey. @wordsmith maybe I mis-read your post, when you said the BMW bars were very wide and then you felt right at home on the Tracer, was it because the Tracers bars were similar? or the Tracers bars were narrower and you now felt more comfortable?  Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, that is what I was trying to convey. @wordsmith maybe I mis-read your post, when you said the BMW bars were very wide and then you felt right at home on the Tracer, was it because the Tracers bars were similar? or the Tracers bars were narrower and you now felt more comfortable?  Sorry for the confusion.

Confusion is all mine, chaps.   The GS bars are indeed very wide, and suited me perfectly, as indeed did the Tracer's (less so, but still quite wide) bars when I rode it.  Over time I have read a few opinions here that the Tracer's bars, for some, are too wide.   I have also recently read here and in some early press reports that the new 2019 Tracer and GT have narrower bars.   My poorly-worded question was - to what extent has the overall width of the bars on the Gen 2 models been reduced?    
Specs on the GS suggest the overall bar width is 953mm, but the ends of the outboard end of the mounting bracket for the hand-guards is (guessing now as I don't have the GS beside me) maybe an inch on each side (25mm), = 50mm for both, so the actual bar width/ length available for the rider to grip would be about 900mm or so.

One of the appealing features for me with the Tracer was that the ergos seemed almost identical to the GS, and I do like the sit-up-and-beg seated position.
See <cycle-ergo> as an invaluable source for comparing the ergos of just about any bike after entering your own height and in-seam measurements.

I'm going to take the medication now!

• 3 weeks later...
BIKE WORLD 5/16/2018 posted a pretty thorough review of the Tracer 900 GT. Not surprisingly, they like it a lot.
Excellent video and not too gushing.   Thanks for posting, bill - I suspect this will get a lot of folks thinking - and saving! ::)

• Supporting Member
I do like the new rotary menu dial, and no more inconvenient buttons on the gauges, everything is integrated into the switch gear. - Nice improvement.

• Premium Member
I had to chuckle when they spoke about the new, improved design for the windscreen.

It looks like they copied the Givi.   :D
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived