Conjecture on 2019 handling change due to longer swingarm?

So against my better judgement, I probably won't be able to resist and will end up getting a Tracer GT when they become available.

One thing I'm wondering about is the longer swingarm.  I haven't been able to find any stats in any of the previews, but comparing profile shots of the bike, it looks like it's somewhere around 1.5 - 2in (or roughly 4-5cm) longer.

What if any effect do you think that will have on handling?  I guess the bike will be a little harder to wheelie (which I'm too chicken to try anyway), but do you think there will be any noticeable effect on turn in speed or general flickability?

• Premium Member
I'm guessing that it will be slightly more stable at speed and when loaded with gear or 2-up.

The GT is quite an attractive package, but I'm not tempted to make the switch myself. It would take a lot of additional cash to bring a GT to a level as good as my 2015 with all the improvement that I've made.

Extreme Creations sells swingarm extentions for the FZ-09 if your looking for more length... but you also can move the rear axle back on the stock swingarm and get maybe 2 more links on the chain(may require a new chain)...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I would not expect a change in flick ability, in fact, I would expect an improvement. The engineers have had a few years to test our FJ's. They are making swing arm and suspension linkage adjustments to better improve performance.

'15 FJ09

One thing I'm wondering about is the longer swingarm.  I haven't been able to find any stats in any of the previews, but comparing profile shots of the bike, it looks like it's somewhere around 1.5 - 2in (or roughly 4-5cm) longer. 
What if any effect do you think that will have on handling?  I guess the bike will be a little harder to wheelie (which I'm too chicken to try anyway), but do you think there will be any noticeable effect on turn in speed or general flickability?
Strangely, I've been pondering exactly the same question.   IMHO one of the greatest attributes of the bike on the road is its 'flickability', and ease with which it can be shoved around in tight locations, such a home garage, etc.    
My on-line research indicates that the new 2018 GT's wheelbase is 60mm, or 2⅜” greater than the current model.   More precisely, 1440mm vs 1500mm.  It was always my understanding that when the current MT-09/ FJ-09 Tracer was developed from its sportier FZ-09 non-Tracer brother (sister?) the wheelbase was increased by a fairly whopping 5" or so, to accommodate a pillion and suit the more touring-oriented nature of the newer bike.   I may be wrong in this , but that's my IIRC...   

More recently, I recall having read somewhere that 'the new GT has had its wheelbase increased by about 5" over the preceding Tracer' which sounds ludicrous: I'm betting that the author of that piece was confused with the earlier increase on the original Tracer model (if you follow me).   If it is true, future extensions to wheelbase will have the bike the same length as an interstate truck with trailers or railway locomotive with wagons!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
My on-line research indicates that the new 2018 GT's wheelbase is 60mm, or 2 3/8", greater than the current model.   More precisely, 1440mm vs 1500mm.  It was always my understanding that when the current MT-09/ FJ-09 Tracer was developed from its sportier FZ-09 non-Tracer brother (sister?) the wheelbase was increased by a fairly whopping 5" or so, to accommodate a pillion and suit the more touring-oriented nature of the newer bike.   I may be wrong in this , but that's my IIRC...   

More recently, I recall having read somewhere that 'the new GT has had its wheelbase increased by about 5" over the preceding Tracer' which sounds ludicrous: I'm betting that the author of that piece was confused with the earlier increase on the original Tracer model (if you follow me).   If it is true, future extensions to wheelbase will have the bike the same length as an interstate truck with trailers or railway locomotive with wagons!

That's the beauty of the internet, you can immediately write off 50% of what you read as conjecture.

Yamaha homepage lists both bikes (FZ/FJ) as having a wheelbase of 56.7", now the FJ09 might have a 5" longer sub-frame, thats understandable.
Tracer GT - "The updated aluminum swingarm is longer for a better feeling of drive force from the potent 847cc engine".  No actual dimensions listed yet, but rumored to be about 2" longer.

L x W x H  TBD
Seat Height  TBD
Wheelbase  TBD
Rake (Caster Angle)  TBD
Trail  TBD
Maximum Ground Clearance  TBD
Fuel Capacity  4.8 gal
Fuel Economy  TBD
Wet Weight  TBD

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Home > Motorcycles > Sport Touring > Tracer 900 GT

Tracer 900GT

Dimensions

Overall length 2,160 mm

Overall width 850 mm

Overall height 1,375 mm max 1,430 mm

Seat height 850 mm max 865 mm

Wheel base 1,500 mm

FWIW - For the life of me I cannot understand why Yamaha would have to state TBD to so many important details in the tech specs!   Have they or have they not actually built any of these GTs?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The GT won't be available in the US until late this year as a 2019 model. Looks like it's going to available in UK sooner.

I see they also have the pricing up on the UK and it's pretty good news. £10649 / 1.2 (remove 20% VAT) = £8874 ~= $12,230

I was thinking $13000+ for sure.

• Supporting Member
The GT won't be available in the US until late this year as a 2019 model. Looks like it's going to available in UK sooner. 
I see they also have the pricing up on the UK and it's pretty good news. £10649 / 1.2 (remove 20% VAT) = £8874 ~= $12,230

If that holds true when its specs are officially announced in North America, I will be pleasantly surprised as I was expecting about $12,500.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Here in Australia I'm betting on close to AUD$19,000.   List price for the first (current) model Tracer was AUD$16,500 otd. 
Given the very poor sales performance of the first-gen Tracer here it will be interesting to see how the GT sells.   I wish it well, for it looks good - IMHO more 'finished' than the original - but unfortunately the Aussie motorcycle-buying public has become used to seeing Tracers at knock-down prices almost since day one.   I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Yamaha Australia management discusses the setting of prices...

Archived