FJ 09 stock seat

Just throwing this general question out there if anyone tried this hack.

I'm 6'1 and so I decided to set the seat at the higher setup and I've noticed that this has added a bit of cushion and also solved some of the  flatting out issue especially at the center of the stock seat which you notice plenty on the lower height.

This has made the seat and ride more manageable, although I haven't tried it out for a somewhat long ride (greater than +4 hours).Has anyone done this and felt a difference? Do share your thoughts. 

• Premium Member
Most likely by raising the seat it is shifting your backside towards the rear of the seat slightly. The biggest downside for me with the stock seat is the harsh edges on the sides of the seat that translated for the seat to dig into the inner thighs. I knew this right away when I first demoed the FJ09 and that I would have to replace the stock seat. IMHO opinion I think Yamaha went the cheap route in the seat dept. if you sit on a stock Versys 1000 seat the difference is huge. In this regard I don't know if initially Yamaha targeted the FJ09 for lighter/smaller, and younger rider? I can only hope that Yamaha addressed this with the new Tracer 900 GT?
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I tried the seat in the higher position, but preferred it lower. In the higher position, I can see getting more flex out of the seat pan. This could add to the cushioning effect, but I suspect the higher position puts your hips in a more comfortable angle. I'm in the minority, but I found the stock seat OK. For me, the shape and slope of the seat is more important than the padding or comfort. With the wrong shape, I'm in pain in a matter of minutes. With thin padding, like the OEM, I just have to reposition more frequently as the day goes on, but I can still walk erect at the end of the day.

• Premium Member
May not impact everyone, but if I raise the seat, I won't be able to keep both my feet flat on the ground.

Most likely by raising the seat it is shifting your backside towards the rear of the seat slightly. The biggest downside for me with the stock seat is the harsh edges on the sides of the seat that translated for the seat to dig into the inner thighs. I knew this right away when I first demoed the FJ09 and that I would have to replace the stock seat. IMHO opinion I think Yamaha went the cheap route in the seat dept. if you sit on a stock Versys 1000 seat the difference is huge. In this regard I don't know if initially Yamaha targeted the FJ09 for lighter/smaller, and younger rider? I can only hope that Yamaha addressed this with the new Tracer 900 GT? 
Yes, they did cheap out on the seat with the current version, I couldn't believe they were offering this as a standard on a touring bike!  
Yamaha seems to have taken notice of this issue and is offering a new set of seats on the 2018 MT 09 Tracer, I'm going to use the stock till I can replace it with this version (hopefully the new seats are backward compatible). I hope the new seats are genuinely comfortable and affordable to replace. 

Should we write to Yamaha Corp and make them ship the new version out to us for free or at a discounted price?

maxresdefault.jpg

May not impact everyone, but if I raise the seat, I won't be able to keep both my feet flat on the ground.
Yea, do it only if you're not at a disadvantage from a stance and balance point of view. 

I run in the high position. I haven't noticed any difference as far as how the actual seat feels.

After an excruciating 12 hours in the saddle last year I have modified the seat a bit though. I added a 1/2" thick layer of dense rebond foam in between the stock pan and the stock foam. It feels more comfortable around town but I haven't been on a long enough ride since to see if it's going to extend my ride before the crippling pain sets in. I can still flat foot when in the highest position although I don't think I could go any higher without being on the balls of my feet.

The factory cover is plenty stretchy enough I feel I could have added an inch of extra height and still been able to reuse it.

Meh, I can only get solid footing on a single foot. Both feet super tipy toe. You get used to it :)

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Yamaha seems to have taken notice of this issue and is offering a new set of seats on the 2018 MT 09 Tracer, I'm going to use the stock till I can replace it with this version (hopefully the new seats are backward compatible). I hope the new seats are genuinely comfortable and affordable to replace. 

Should we write to Yamaha Corp and make them ship the new version out to us for free or at a discounted price?

I'll be interested in seeing if the new seat offers any more comfort over the previous version.  Maybe, but not likely.  Yamaha offers a "comfort seat" (if you're willing to pay) for the current FJ-09, which seems to have bad reviews.  Even the FJR1300, the pinnacle of Yamaha's sport-touring segment, has an option for an OEM "comfort seat" at additional cost.  I don't think that they will miss the opportunity to offer another "comfort seat" for the new Tracer. 
If you are dissatisfied with the OEM seat, there are many aftermarket options.  Any of which will offer superior comfort compared to OEM.

The affordable part?  Just look at the prices for current model replacements.  That should give you an idea.

the OEM comfort seat are denser foam with a section where the operator's reproductive bits are with softer foam... they make for a decent track/race seat in my opinion over stock seat...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Just a FYI.. I just received a new seat from Terrys custom seats and it looks great and feels good just sitting on it. Winter has not allowed me to put time in the saddle yet so no real report to offer yet. I really looked and read many reviews on the others and went with Terry based on all good reports of others and the price point. Very nice to talk and deal with.

Archived