What GPS would you buy for your Motorcycle?

• Premium Member
I'm thinking about getting a GPS to add to my FJ-09 this year. I'm planning on going on a few tours this summer, and want to replace my iPhone mount with a real motorcycle GPS.  I'm looking for some guidance from those who already have a dedicated GPS, so I don't waste a bunch of money on something that has serious flaws. US maps required, Mexico/Canada maps nice to have.

What features are must haves? What are nice to haves? and what is just marketing hype?

What model would you buy now, knowing what you have learned with your current GPS?

Thanks all, as usual, your advice is much appreciated!

• Premium Member
I have the Garmin for motorcycles. It’s a couple of years old. I think it’s the 660. The only thing I cared about was waterproofness (if that’s not a word then I take credit for inventing it). It’s got free lifetime maps too which is nice and saves money.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I have the Garmin for motorcycles. It’s a couple of years old. I think it’s the 660. The only thing I cared about was waterproofness (if that’s not a word then I take credit for inventing it). It’s got free lifetime maps too which is nice and saves money.
Can you upload routes to the GPS? and how easy is it to change routes or destinations on the fly?

• Premium Member
Can you upload routes to the GPS? and how easy is it to change routes or destinations on the fly?

Yes you can transfer routes and way points onto the micro SD card from your computer. It’s easy to change stuff the touch screen works extremely well with gloves on. I try not to do that while rolling though. It does take some of your focus off the road. It’s got Bluetooth. If that matters. When I’m getting a call it will tell me on the screen and who it’s is. I used to listen to it through my headphones but don’t do that anymore. I’d rather listen to music.

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
Bluetooth navigation via headset... wish I had that. I use an automotive 5" Garmin on my bike (lifetime maps and traffic, routes, en route services etc.), and works great... but no BT and not waterproof. 'Waterproofness' smiley.png  would indeed be nice, although I've been fortunate thus far... the thing just won't die to force my hand to upgrade.
I too use the 5" Garmin Nuvi automotive GPS.  It isnt listed as waterproof, but I have been caught in the rain with it on several occasions, it also doesn't have Bluetooth, but I wouldn't want to hear it constantly updating in my ear either.  I dont need top of the line with a ton of features, just basic navigation with lifetime map updates.  The touch screen is usable with both my winter and summer gloves.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I've had a Garmin Zumo 550 for years. I was happy with it until I recently got a Sena intercom system and the Zumo wouldn't play well with it. Ordered a new Zumo 595LM a couple of days ago. Should be an improvement.

Bluetooth navigation via headset... wish I had that. I use an automotive 5" Garmin on my bike (lifetime maps and traffic, routes, en route services etc.), and works great... but no BT and not waterproof. 'Waterproofness' smiley.png  would indeed be nice, although I've been fortunate thus far... the thing just won't die to force my hand to upgrade.
I too use the 5" Garmin Nuvi automotive GPS.  It isnt listed as waterproof, but I have been caught in the rain with it on several occasions, it also doesn't have Bluetooth, but I wouldn't want to hear it constantly updating in my ear either.  I dont need top of the line with a ton of features, just basic navigation with lifetime map updates.  The touch screen is usable with both my winter and summer gloves.

You can make your GPS or Smartphone waterproof by using a condom stretched over it, I would recommend not using a used one. It might have a hole in it. If you are real frugal go ahead and use a used one.

I have an older Garmin, but I prefer to use my smart phone. When I'm in a cell service area, I like Waze, but use Google Maps with the offline maps option for times when there's no data service.
The RAM X-mount works well and I made sure to get a water resistant phone.  

I use a Garmin Montana on my bikes and ATVs. It's waterproof, which I needed, the app is easy to use for both retrieving tracks and creating new ones and it is very easy to switch destinations as well.

I also like having multiple maps, I have the road which I use in my truck and on the FJ and also 12k and 24k offroad maps which I use on my DRZ and ATVs, you can download satellite images of the area you are going to be in and overlay your tracks on them, that's been super helpful in the past doing out of the way trails but might be a touch overkill for the FJ. You can also take pics with it, and it tags their location (only 5MP camera).

I would definitely get another Montana if I had to buy again, it works well for me - but unless you need all of its features you should consider a cheaper model.

I used my phone for about a year, in a waterproof case that just clipped onto a mount. Google maps was great and it bluetooth linked to my Sena 10u headset to play music and give directions. Downloading maps in advance also removed the issue of poor reception. In the end though, it was the small screen, difficulty viewing it in bright sunlight and lack of speed camera warnings that made me buy a dedicated bike satnav.

I now have the TomTom rider 400. Pros: easy click on mount that powers it as well, clear, bright, bigger screen; brilliant road display that switches to a zoomed in version for motorway exits and roundabouts, waterproof, lifetime maps and software updates, caller display on the satnav if you receive a call, live traffic updates and re-routing around jams. Massive advantage: speed camera warnings
Cons: expensive, non-intuitive interface, you have to link it to your headset first or it sulks, then your phone. Get this wrong and it continually flashes a lack of connection warning across the screen. Pre-planning routes on the unit itself is rubbish, but planning in Tyre or importing routes from a laptop is easier.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I also use a Garmin Nuvi with 5 inch screen that is made for car use. I paid $60 for a used 2595LMT with lifetime map updates. My strongest word of advice is to mount it above the instrument panel, not on the handlebars. That gives two advantages:
1. It puts it into your line of sight so you can read it without taking your eyes off the road. This is great when riding twisty roads because you can glance and see what comes after the turn ahead of you.
2. It is right behind the windscreen. That keeps the water off it. Even when you are stopped.

The motorcycle-specific Garmin GPSs have a few features that I would like, but I haven't deemed them worthy of the price (about $800 for 5 inch display). 1. They have a "twisty-roads" feature for choosing your routes. 2. They have a 3D view for hilly terrain. On the other hand, I keep my cheap Nuvi on the bike all the time and don't worry about losing it.

You can create routes on the Nuvi, or you can do it on a PC and upload to the GPS. One useful feature is that it will tell you where the nearest gas stations are located and it will direct you to the one you choose. If you are following a route, then it will list the gas stations that are near each waypoint along your route and list the distance from your current location. You can also search for lots of other locations of interest, like restaurants, grocery stores, banks, etc.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I have a 660 with lifetime maps.

I do not use it for the blue tooth into my helmet, even tho you can if you would like.

As many said before it’s waterproof which was key for me.

I use HD Ride planner to build routes and upload them to the gps. One of the nice things about the Garmin is you can load many points into a route and pick which roads you want to ride. It’s not a point a to point b (unless that’s what you want)

You can build a loop or nice twisty roads to your destination.

It also comes with a mount and the proper stuff to wire it right to the bike. I’ve had mine for 2-3 years and also have a handful of other rider friends that use the 660 as well.

I have a Garmin 550 I bought used on ADVRider about 4 years ago. I like that it's waterproof, and the buttons are glove friendly. I don't use the BT feature, and have the sound on mute.

I have a Garmin Drive 50 with 5" sscreen in my car, sound also muted. The larger screen is nice, and has a better layout/more information than my 550.

Archived