Possible Front End Swaps

koth442

I'm kicking around the idea of doing a full front end swap. I would want minimal geometry change and fully adjustable forks. So far my candidates are Multistrada 1000 and 620. The 1000 has more travel than the FJ but identical rake and trail. The 620 has very close travel, same rake, but less trail, and I haven't confirmed the forks are fully adjustable.

Anyother bikes should I consider?

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
If you are just wanting to add compression adjustment, have you considered Matts fork cartridge swap? Both legs are revalved for rebound and compression, oem fork caps on both legs for rebound and preload and a compression screw on the bottom of one leg. It works brilliant, doesn't break the bank and will save you A LOT of headache.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Don't really need a front end swap with the triple tree unless you wanna change the rake angle... just swap fork tubes with a more expensive oem setup and other outside end parts? Provide they are same length(?) But same tube width???
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Getting the same width fork tubes / axle position would be difficult. Almost certainly have to swap the trip-tree which isn't all that difficult all things considered. Especially with a center stand!

'15 FJ09

There are quite a few 50/53mm upside down forks to choose from that will swap right into the OE triples. The trick is not so much length (not necessarily hard to change) but rather the axle blocks and knock-on effects of axle diameter compat, wheel spacing, caliper spacing, rotor spacing and front fender replacement. The FJ runs pretty long forks so your best best is probably FZ1 of 08+ and FZ10. R1/R6 and GSXR will likely be very short (20mm or more) and will need special collars or extended fork caps (see Traxxion's solution to the GSXR from like 06-10 - http://traxxion.com/product/extended-fork-cap-gsxr/)

I actually have the GP equivalent of those traxxion's on my GSXR. I measured from top of fork to top of axle and its ~29" (with 20mm extended caps). The FJ is about 31".

I'll check out FZ1 forks.

I'd have to get new rotors, calipers, wheel, etc to match the forks. I mean.. this would be a *full* front end swap. Wouldn't be my first one :)

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
@koth442 - I’ve done a bunch of these over the years, typically on custom projects... my current build is a 700 Raptor quad motor in a 500 Interceptor frame, CBR954 front end, NC-30 single-sided swingarm rear. So while I whole-heartedly encourage your enthusiasm, I would caution you that it’s never as easy as it first appears.

I haven’t done any actual measuring, but it visually appears that the FJ has really long fork tubes relative to most bikes with higher spec suspension components, so I foresee numerous issues to potentially be addressed. Just moving the stock tubes up 10-20 mm in the triples makes a big difference in the handling dynamics of the FJ, so making wholesales changes to the geometry of the front end is inviting “tuning & set-up challenges” at the very least. In my experience, staying in the same manufacturer family (all Yamaha in this case) makes it a bit less challenging proposition, but still a lot to consider... for example, if you have to change the upper triple to get the new forks to work, how do you mount the handlebars? What about the ABS??

Not discouraging you, just making some observations based on my own history of “hmm... I wonder if that will work” projects. Lots of proven suspension solutions are already there for the FJ, so I would (and did) take the path of least resistance.

Your mileage may vary. I am not a trained professional. Offer not valid in Idaho and Puerto Rico.

-Scott

• Supporting Member
I'll check out FZ1 forks. 

As a previous FZ1 owner, I can tell you that you would be gaining nothing by installing FZ1 forks, they have the same rebound and preload adjustment, only difference is both legs are “active”.  

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

What I keep wondering about, is going toward a more ADV front end, for example a super 10 or Africa twin. Then finishing the swap with the rear spoke wheel too.
Haven’t pursued this more than thinking about it though...

Maybe cause Yamaha keeps teasing me with the T07.

-Skip

Kenny Roberts did a Tenere front end swap. They auctioned off the bike for charity a while back.

Noted, scratch the FZ1 forks

Texs, A Multistrada 1000 front end would be a perfect candidate if the tubes would fit in the FJ triples. But Italian stuff is pricey, even on the used market.

'15 FJ09

unless you're looking for offset axles (leading) or just a lot longer/shorter, the internals of any all OEM forks is just garbage (with rare exception). Even if the factory bike came with Ohlins doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Archived