could this be true?

Filling some idle time I was flicking through the used bikes section of the excellent BIKESALES website here in Oz, and came across this ad (see pic below)..
It claims - and is repeated elsewhere in the ad - that the bike has covered 399,605km!   That's 239,763 miles.   Naturally, I thought it to be a typo - but...

The 17 detailed and close-up pix of the bike show it to be - as far as one can tell - in excellent condition, in fact so new that the 'warning' sticker is still on the tank.   Sadly, the sole pic of the instrument panel showed it switched off, so that couldn't verify the claimed mileage.

The price asked, even for the model year, is pretty low, so maybe there's something in this.   I've e-mailed the dealership for the facts, but doubt I'll get a reply, and at 4500km from home it's a bit too far to stroll over and check it out myself!   But if the claimed almost 400,000km is right, I'd love to know the story.   I'll follow-up further if I can, and post any findings here.   I'm intrigued.

P1040517_LI.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
@wordsmith - Based on some quick math, that's something like 225 miles per day, every day, for three straight years. While I suppose it's technically possible, I'm highly doubtful. My guess is a typo on the posting... 39K maybe, and not 399K?

@wordsmith - Based on some quick math, that's something like 225 miles per day, every day, for three straight years. While I suppose it's technically possible, I'm highly doubtful. My guess is a typo on the posting... 39K maybe, and not 399K?
Of course, but as said the claimed mileage appeared twice in the ad.   Anyway, I'm now in direct (tho' middle-o'-the-night) contact with the dealer-principal! (LATER EDIT: maybe it was a Yamaha test-mule!)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

If miles are true... that FJ-09 takes top step... but after 390,000 km wouldn't the warning sticker look faded,chewed up...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I agree with the others, 400K is a lot of miles in 3 years. I agree with texscottyd, it's probably 39K, and even that is a lot of miles for the $8K they are asking

If miles are true... that FJ-09 takes top step... but after 390,000 km wouldn't the warning sticker look faded,chewed up...
Certainly the rider would...

This ad has been removed from the BIKESALES website, which may mean it has been sold, or that something was a bit 'dodgy', or anything else.   Of course, the dealer didn't respond to my enquiry, in which I outlined the reason behind it as being purely 'inquisitiveness' on the part of many other MT-09/ FJ-09 Riders - mentioning this Forum.

Of course, that zero response is typical of the lack of professionalism and even simple courtesy of many/ most motorcycle dealers!

Subject closed - tho' I will continue to ponder it! ::)

Archived