GPS: smartphones v. dedicated units

• Premium Member
i have been thinking about replacing my Garmin Zumo 660.  I’m wondering if a leap forward in phone-based GPS is coming soon though.  In addition to matching functionality there are issues of waterproof case, mounting and charging which have probably been largely addressed.

As much as Garmin Basecamp frustrates me I would want the ability to use it or comparable software with an iPhone.

Discuss.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member
My phone is used as a backup for my dedicated GPS (cheap Chinavasion 5in waterproof unit). I prefer Microsoft Streets and Trips for creating routes, but it is no longer updated. Most of my routes are country roads that don't change often, so I make due.

I'm unimpressed by smartphone GPS apps. None that I have used have been very good. Creating and converting/importing routes is often convoluted. App often changes route. Can't skip waypoints and nearly impossible to build a route on the phone.

I've purchased Sygic and loaded it on an old 7" tablet for use in my car. It's ok and is frequently updated.

I really miss my old Lowrance iWay 500c unit. Thought big and heavy (had a 3.5" hard drive inside) its easily read and glove-friendly screen, along with being able to put custom "skins" on it made it an outstanding unit on a MC. If new maps were available for it, that's what I would be using.

I can't bring myself to pop $400-700 for a Garmin Zumo. And I've heard mixed reviews on the Tom-Tom rider units.

I'm really surprised Garmin hasn't released a smartphone version of their GPS. I would consider that.

• Premium Member
I used my iphone for a while, but it doesn't have the features a motorcycle specific GPS does. I now ride with the Garmin 390lm, which does a better job routing, displaying directions, (especially displaying in the sun), and it is better protected from the weather. I was always worried about the toll the riding was taking on my phone, but the Garmin is well protected, and has so many features that make riding easier. I wouldn't go back to the phone, except in an emergency.

• Supporting Member
I can't bring myself to pop $400-700 for a Garmin Zumo. And I've heard mixed reviews on the Tom-Tom rider units.

I have used the base model Garmin "Nuvi" for years which has recently become the "Drive" model.

The higher end GPS models have a lot of features that I dont need or want.  I can build a route within the unit, set navigation to avoid highways, set it to find upcoming gas/food/lodging along my route, store favorite addresses etc. -Basic GPS functions.

While they aren't advertised as water resistant I have been caught in rain storms many times and they continue to function.
The biggest selling point to me is they are frequently on sale for $100, if they get stolen or damaged then I'm not having to replace a $700 smartphone, and Bestbuy sells a 3 year protection plan if they stop working.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Until recently (as in, yesterday), I've had two Garmin units...a Nuvi for my car, and a DezlCam for my work vehicles (professional chauffeur). I rarely use the DezlCam anymore, as most client's prefer us to use Waze, plus or vehicles are all equipped with DriveCams. Honestly, I've found Waze to be extremely useful (it combines everything from Google Maps (Google owns Waze), but valuable/useful user-pooled information, such as accidents, law enforcement locations, roadkill, potholes, etc).

I've even been using Waze on my new FJ (with my phone mounted on a GIVI Smart bar), but finally decided to get a dedicated motorcycle GPS (Garmin Zumo 595LM), as is not only offers greater functionality, but is, again, geared towards motorcycles (although, at the same time, it CAN be used with 4-wheeled vehicles. Among all the obvious reasons I decided to get the Zumo 595LM is that you can use (optional) Garmin Zumo Tire Pressure Monitor. The 595LM supports up to 4 monitors, which means you could monitor the tire pressures of two different bikes (for those owning more than one bike). I did a reasonable amount of research on MC GPSs, before deciding on the Garmin, and during that research, I discovered the same things that several others have discovered:

1) Between a dedicated GPS (especially a motorcycle-specific unit), and an app, the dedicated GPS was the better, smarter, more reliable, & more useful way to go.
2) Among the dedicated motorcycle GPSs, the Garmin Zumo line was the best option.

I'll be giving the new Zumo some serious testing tomorrow through Monday...now I just need to decide where to go, as the Yosemite fires have squashed that idea (maybe the south coast, past Monterey, or the north coast to Mendocino).

Betoney:

I was looking at your post:  

"I can't bring myself to pop $400-700 for a Garmin Zumo. And I've heard mixed reviews on the Tom-Tom rider units.

I have used the base model Garmin "Nuvi" for years which has recently become the "Drive" model."

May I ask which Nuvi you have been using?  To me also the Zumo is way overkill and I can't make the smartphone apps work right for me and I don't want to risk my Iphone with a simple $100 dedicated GPS works.  As long as I can program in routes.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

• Supporting Member
Betoney: 
I was looking at your post:  

"I can't bring myself to pop $400-700 for a Garmin Zumo. And I've heard mixed reviews on the Tom-Tom rider units.

I have used the base model Garmin "Nuvi" for years which has recently become the "Drive" model."

May I ask which Nuvi you have been using?  To me also the Zumo is way overkill and I can't make the smartphone apps work right for me and I don't want to risk my Iphone with a simple $100 dedicated GPS works.  As long as I can program in routes.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I previously used the Nuvi 55LM, Garmin changed the name and now the Nuvi is the "Drive". 

I recently bought the Drive 51LM but still have the Nuvi 55LM as a backup.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

First, rumor (at our local BMW crowd's breakfast) has it that Garmin is coming out with a whole new Basecamp that is supposed to address the many complaints we have all had about learning and using it. We will have to wait to see how successful they are at meeting that goal.

A friend uses My Maps by Google to plan his routes and download the maps to his smartphone. You can either access the maps in the cloud (with suitable interruptions when you drive out of cell tower range in the boonies) or download them onto your phone (eating memory if you store a lot of routes). This is equivalent to having paper maps on your phone with a moving dot showing your location. I think it does not route you back to the route should you stray. I used googlemaps on my phone to route me back home from a rally - it worked great, even telling me to get back on the appropriate roads when I deviated looking for gas or breakfast. However, I did not choose the route - google did - a disadvantage shared by Zumo without a Basecamp plan since you don't know in advance what the route will be (unless you sit down and examine it).

I used a Nuvi until it started getting upset after maybe an hour on my bike. It cut out, powered up again, and eventually shut down. Put it in my car and it works fine. Guess it doesn't like the fresh air....

I'm using a Zumo now, and the screen's visibility is disappointing. Friends say it works well w/ loaded routes if you do the proper planning in Basecamp. Those of us (myself included) who have not spent the time learning this program tend to be unhappy with the GPS and the program's quirks. I'm planning to spend more time w/ Basecamp so I can remedy this situation.

Now following that thread just so i can gather more info. THANKS!!

*I really just like to use my phone for GPS (even though that was an $800 mistake). That way my music is right there, GPS going, and if someone calls or texts i can make a decision to pull over and answer back or not)

Archived