Oops...

Went to walmart this afternoon to pick up a couple of odds and ends.

Got done, fired up the bike and started to pull out of my space making a hard right turn at foot-paddling speed, tho I did have my feet up on the pegs.

For some reason, the bike bogged for a split second and quit before I could grab the clutch.  

I fought the good fight trying to keep it up but it wasn't to be and it got over past the point of no return so I laid it as gently as I could on the right side cage.  Fortunately, I was at a dead stop by that point and the outermost plastic button was the only thing that contacted the ground.

After I picked it back up (460 pounds is light for a modern bike, but DAMN heavy for an old fart to pick up!) using the "butt against the seat, grab one handlebar and the luggage rack, lift with your knees" method I set about re-starting it.

Crank-crank-crank...nothing.  Seeing as the start button is also the kill switch, can't be that.  Wait a few seconds.  Crank-crank-crank...nothing.  WTF?

Then I notice the check engine like blinking at me.  Turn key off, wait a second, turn key back on, bump the starter - VROOOM!  Whew...

Look around to see how many people are laughing at me, ride regally off into the sunset...

... been there before. Glad you and the bike are good. Pretty normal to have to cycle the ignition after tipping the bike.

Once, on my old FZ-6, I was making a slow turn in my driveway and my dog decided to walk in front of me... naturally hit the brakes and there was no saving it. Set her down slowly, the bike that is. Damn dog hahaha.

Dropped the FJ moving it in the garage once while walking beside it.. no damage at all. I have to say that Yamaha did pretty good making sure plastics wouldn't get beat up from minor tips.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Well since we are sharing embarrassing stories,

I was trying to turn my bike around to get the right side available for some maintenance, and decided to ride it instead of pushing. I started to make the turn in my driveway, and my daughter decided to walk out in my intended path. To be fair, she thought I was leaving , not turning around, but I did have to put it down. I was able to gently lower it to the ground, no real damage, but I did bang up my ankle a bit.

Felt like an idiot, but that's how you gain all that experience..........

• Premium Member
I haven’t dropped the FJ-09 yet but did pull a classic with my Street Triple R. While riding a section of the Natchez Trace Parkway between Nashville and I-20 I stopped for gas at what turned out to be an abandoned service station. With gas pump on my left I failed to fully extend the sidestand and was forced to lay her down as gently and slowly as I could.

The gap between the small concrete island and bike was too narrow to allow any leverage for raising. Traffic on the Trace can be intermittent, and after a wait I waved down a passing motorist. An older gentleman emerged, immaculately dressed in his Sunday best. He helped me lift the Triumph and after thanking him I was on my way!

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

I learned to ride on my dads’s ‘92 GSX1100G. Horrible idea. Dropped all 620lbs of that a couple times. Dropped my Tiger once in the garage as I was rolling it around to clean the chain. Bought a center stand for it after that. Never dropped my little CB500X, and so far the FJ has remained upright, but if I watch too many more wheelie videos that’s bound to change ?

It is always nice to share so my story involves a 1996 Triumph Sprint. Pulled into a parking space at BK which was at a steep off camber angle deployed the side stand half way and the bike fell over when I tried to get off, go figure. If it wasn't for a couple of guys that came out to help I would still be there and this was 5-6 years ago. I have been riding for 50+ years and never met and avid rider that has not had this happen. And this story is only the latest tip over it is just part of the ride, so to speak.

New rider. Pulled into park at work. Varied my routine by removing gear while still on the bike. Forgot I hadn’t put the side stand down and as I tilted it, I got to a point where I realized my error but bike was past the point of holding it up. Slowly let it down. Picked it right back up. Oh well. Learned to always look down at the side stand before letting it go to rest on it.

New rider. Pulled into park at work. Varied my routine by removing gear while still on the bike. Forgot I hadn’t put the side stand down and as I tilted it, I got to a point where I realized my error but bike was past the point of holding it up. Slowly let it down. Picked it right back up. Oh well. Learned to always look down at the side stand before letting it go to rest on it.
My personal routine is giving the kick stand a slight kick to make sure its all the way extended and there. Learned that from experience too if ya catch my drift... 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
I was leaving a Home depot on an old KLR 650 and I had forgotten about the disc lock. I also didn't have the foresight to place the disc lock up against the brake caliper, so I actually started rolling and leaning out of the parking space. The stunningly fast halt followed by the noise of a KLR 650 hitting the ground was embarrassing enough, and the sweet little old lady who ran to see if I was ok was the topping for bruised pride. Luckily, it was a KLR so you could give it a daily kick-over to wake it up and ride off without issue or broken parts.

Archived