Trial by rain

whistler

• Supporting Member
Headed out to commute home after work yesterday.  The DC area's been wet and muggy for many days.  Anyway, got slammed by rain.  First torrential rain ride on the GT.  Drenched to the bone for about 40 of my 60 miles.

Got home and pulled the stock seats to check for leaks (the seat's in the High position).  A few drops were in the tray near the tailight area and along the sides of the seat frame.  A few drops trickled into the dead space storage under the seat latch.  But, no puddles or anything heavy, and no electrical problems with external switches, controls, etc.  

Some spots on the GW Parkway had about 3-4" of water.  Rode slow and swam with the herd.  Got some funny looks from a few cagers.  I just kept smiling.

Lubed the chain when I finally got home, turned on the shop fans and dried it out.  Garage has all my riding gear hanging all over it drying out.

Anyway, the GT ain't waterproof, but it survives really heavy rain just fine.

Just passing it on.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Yep can confirm this, really heavy rain on two days on our trip to Wales and the GT was great.

Even the stock tyres (which I'd heard weren't great in the ran) gave me absolutely no problems.

This is the first bike I've had hand-guards on and I'm convinced that they made a difference (my mates laughed at me as a 'fan boy') and kept my hands drier than they would otherwise have been.

Just as we park-up, NOW the rain stops......

IMG_4934.jpg

Did you all use B Mode whilst riding in the rain? Seems that with the least aggressive throttle mapping that would be the best choice for inclement weather.
Yes - some manufacturers would label B mode as 'rain mode'.   I also found it ideal when riding in heavy stop-start low-speed nose-to-tail commuter traffic.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Did you all use B Mode whilst riding in the rain? Seems that with the least aggressive throttle mapping that would be the best choice for inclement weather.
Yes - some manufacturers would label B mode as 'rain mode'.   I also found it ideal when riding in heavy stop-start low-speed nose-to-tail commuter traffic.
Left mine in STD mode.  No slip-ups, puckering or otherwise scary moments.  Never got out of 3rd gear during the heaviest downpours.  Slow going, indeed.  STD worked well for me.  Will try out B Mode in the future, though.  If it's like my FJR's "Touring" mode, it'll be softer throttle response and less crisp than the sportier A Mode (or the FJR's Sport Mode, which made the throttle very crisp and very responsive...twist the throttle and shizzle happened QUICKLY).
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

On the worst of the two days when aquaplaning seemed to be a real possibility I did use B Mode and it definitely 'smoothed' everything out compared with A mode (which is my favourite). 
Cheers

Steve 

• 1 month later...
I've heard several people referencing the throttles modes as also affecting actual horsepower. i would think not the case, just throttle response ???? just got through break in period and finally did full throttle stuff into the higher rpm's. let's just say the power is more than adequate. below 7000 the power delivery is quite gentlemanly, felt much like my versys 650, and then bang

• Premium Member
... finally did full throttle stuff into the higher rpm's. let's just say the power is more than adequate. below 7000 the power delivery is quite gentlemanly, ... and then bang
Full throttle in 3rd gear in the 7K to 10K rpm range delivers big grins.  :) Gotta watch the speeds though as you are approaching 90 mph by then. I can't use full throttle in 2nd gear and keep the front wheel on the road. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

... finally did full throttle stuff into the higher rpm's. let's just say the power is more than adequate. below 7000 the power delivery is quite gentlemanly, ... and then bang
Full throttle in 3rd gear in the 7K to 10K rpm range delivers big grins.  smiley.png Gotta watch the speeds though as you are approaching 90 mph by then. I can't use full throttle in 2nd gear and keep the front wheel on the road.
Yeah, it pulls something fierce in 2nd; really have to watch that myself.

Archived