has anyone re-flashed their ECU on a stock bike?

stumpy

I'm not seeking to add an exhaust at this time but I was wondering what gains are had if I just get a flash done with the bike in stock condition.  Mine's a 2016.  Love the bike but it's a little to jumpy in A mode for my liking and STD is a little to "on/off" on the throttle to be nice and smooth.

• Supporting Member
My engine, intake and exhaust are stock on my ‘15 and I had 2WDW flash my ECU with very noticeable results.
Since you have a ‘16, you also have the option to adjust the APS which makes a big difference in the abruptness.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Also to add to this.. most tuners will reflash your ECU for the cost of shipping after your initial flash was performed. For instance if you flash for the stock set up but later get an exhaust system or something.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I'm not seeking to add an exhaust at this time but I was wondering what gains are had if I just get a flash done with the bike in stock condition.  Mine's a 2016.  Love the bike but it's a little to jumpy in A mode for my liking and STD is a little to "on/off" on the throttle to be nice and smooth. 

If you read the Two Wheel Dyno Works section on this forum, at least 500 people from this forum have had their ECU flashed by Nels, many of them were stock bikes. The software that all tuners in the USA use is made by Flash Tunes ECU. Flash Tunes top guy left and went to work for two wheel dyno works. Nels at 2wdw is the best.

2wdw is also familiar with other tuning software such as Woolich, PowerCommander to name a few... they also usually have the best deals when buying a combo of ecu reflash and exhaust...

I had my stock exhaust flashed with Woolich software bout 2yrs ago to test rather or not Woolich software and kit works with the FJ-09 since it was the 1st one 2wdw did using this set up...works better than OEM fueling...now Im running a Graves Exhaust ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I also have a stock 2016 and wondered how an ECU re-flash would help it. I was on vacation last week riding "The Dragon" and noticed how twitchy it was in A mode going through the gap twisties. I also noticed that the fan doesn't kick on until 222 degrees after getting stuck in Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge traffic. Having that lowered to around 200 would be great for that. I would be curious to know how the re-flash would affect the mileage though before i had it done. The 200 mile range of the FJ's tank is nice for distance riding.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Holy crap! I didn’t even see that section on the forum pages...lots to read there for sure. As for the mileage, I too would be curious on how it would be effected if at all. My racing days are over and now I would just like it to be nice and smooth.

Thanks for the replies so far

With regard to mileage... I've noticed only a minor change if any at all. Riding style affects it much more drastically. I still average between 42-48 mpg city riding depending on how aggressive I am on the throttle which is pretty much the same as it was prior to the flash.

Even if MPG goes down smiles per mile will go up.

My ECU was flashed by Flashed by Vcyclenut.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I would try the APS adjustment first if your only wanting to tame the throttle. It made a noticable improvement in mine.

The starting value is usually 17, dont be afraid of lowering all the way down to 12.  I started out with lowering it to 14, then dropped it to 12. 

It only takes a few minute once you have access under the tank and its free and reversible if you dont like it.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I would try the APS adjustment first if your only wanting to tame the throttle. It made a noticable improvement in mine.

The starting value is usually 17, dont be afraid of lowering all the way down to 12.  I started out with lowering it to 14, then dropped it to 12. 

It only takes a few minute once you have access under the tank and its free and reversible if you dont like it.

and just how do you do that?

Archived