Bar risers and FJ-09 aftermarket windshields

limpy88

Well after my failed trip, I have come to realize the stock screen is useless. Also would like some handle bar risers. Thinking the helibars just cause color match, but will see. Since the factory hand guards are so big.  If the were up higher would the interfer with the large aftermarket screens that have cut outs for the guards? Or will it no be an issue? Wondering if anybody has experience with this?

Personally I'm very fond of CalSci windshields. However bar risers may result in contact at full lock. Since there are hand guards you don't have worry about pinching your fingers and accidentally applying the brake. And how often do you really go to full lock anyway?

'15 FJ09

... If the were up higher would the interfer with the large aftermarket screens that have cut outs for the guards? Or will it no be an issue? Wondering if anybody has experience with this?
I have a Parabellum 26" screen on my 2016 09 and it has cutouts for the hand guards that fit perfectly with stock bar location / height. Lock-to-lock steering is no problem. 
In looking at this screen I would guess that installing a riser for the bars would foul up the fit and reduce the steering arc.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I have the Puig Touring Windscreen installed, using the includes handguard brackets (they move the second piece of the handguard figure out by approx 1.25"), as well as the SW-MOTECH Barback Risers. I've had no problems, whatsoever. However, when it came to installing the barback risers, I discovered a "problem" (which had nothing to do with the windscreen, or (technically) the risers) - the brake & clutch cable lengths don't allow for excessive movement of the bars. Thankfully, the "resolution" was quite simple.

When installing the SW-MOTECH Barback Risers, if the OEM risers remain in the 'stock' position, it moves the bar back too far, resulting in the brake & clutch lines begging stretched too far. A lot of people don't realize that the OEM risers have 2 positions: back, & forward. The "stock" position, as placed by most dealerships, is in the 'back' position. However, if you remove the bar, loosen the bolts holding the OEM risers, rotate the risers 180°, place the bar back into the OEM risers, and then tighten the riser bolts, this will allow the barback risers to be installed without stretching the brake & clutch lines.

• Supporting Member
A lot of people don't realize that the OEM risers have 2 positions: back, & forward. The "stock" position, as placed by most dealerships, is in the 'back' position. However, if you remove the bar, loosen the bolts holding the OEM risers, rotate the risers 180°, place the bar back into the OEM risers, and then tighten the riser bolts, this will allow the barback risers to be installed without stretching the brake & clutch lines.

That's exactly how I have my risers and Helibars bar back set up. 

I have also had the risers facing back with the Helibars riser for over a year and didn't have any issues with any of the cables.  The brake cable has a mount bolted to the bottom of the triple clamp that can be undone to give you an extra 1-1.5" or so of slack.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I installed my helibars risers. Got a givi d2122s on order. Will see when it arrives. I did remove the factory hand guards. It helped with wind buffeting. Probably not install hand guards till the screen comes in and i can measure for new ones.

• 3 years later...
  • Supporting Member

I put these SW-Motechs on my 2015 a few years ago and have them up as high as they will go and as far back as they will go.

I recall at the time I thought I'd have trouble with my cables but all was (mostly) well and there were no problems created with throttle or clutch cables at both locks but my front brake line was at it's limits.  While I had no problem with it I did end up changing my brake lines out some time later for braided lines but that wasn't the reason they were done.

Installation instructions will come with them that are clear (I assume they are new) and are straight forward.

Hope this info is of some help. 🙂

P.S. I had removed my handguards from day one so if you still have yours there may be a possible issue with interference with your screen. I'm not certain about this and YMMV but thought I should mention it.

Some pics...

20170520_090307.thumb.jpg.418ae603a0979d7e223716588d5fc4e4.jpg

20170520_090234.thumb.jpg.2fea768abd931abd34aef71d583aae17.jpg

20170511_163742.thumb.jpg.b8adf057079f812cf667645d6f8f1600.jpg

• Premium Member

I presume my Renthal Street Naked bars with OE risers set rearward give me about the same or more rise and setback as your SW-Mototech risers and OE bars but with more (comfortable) sweep.  Clutch, throttle and brake lines are not an issue though I may have intrinsically rerouted them.  My KTM handguards do not impinge on any of my 3 aftermarket screens including the barn door Givi Tour.

20200517_170516.jpg

20200315_222511.jpg

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I presume my Renthal Street Naked bars with OE risers set rearward give me about the same or more rise and setback as your SW-Mototech risers and OE bars but with more (comfortable) sweep. 

You mean the Renthal Street Naked bar (819-50) that I too have fitted along with the SW-Motechs since my photo was taken giving me an even more-more (comfortable) sweep? 😉

https://cullysyamaha.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/fatbarroadspecs.jpg

Handlebars.thumb.jpg.cb1b71a7e6657c0023173f7358d13c38.jpg

• Premium Member

Nice!  I thought about black but stayed silver but cut 13 mm off each end and drilled n tapped for the oe inserts for the KTM handguards.   The clamps do fit right on the rise bit of bar.  Packed full n solid with BBs + bar end r&g sliders.

I'm not sure I could tuck with more rise and setback.  After all I'm still married to my fastest red 98 VTR Firestorm! 

• Thumbsup 1