MISSION POSSIBLE? - RE-NAME THE TRACER

Your mission - should you choose to accept it - is to re-name the Tracer (and therefore also the Tracer GT).   

There has been some puzzlement at the 'Tracer' monniker, which doesn't seem to say much or mean anything in the context of this motorcycle.   Therefore, members are invited to create a new name, which you may think more appropriate, meaningful, relevant, to what the bike and its qualities are all about.

Go to it, my children!   As yet, I have no contribution to make, but will strain my remaining brain cell to come up with something stunning!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"The Nines"

the number 9 is mainly considered as "near" perfect/harmony/complete without getting too mathematical or religious...

to me the bike is a nice blend of functions for what you set it up for- can be a commuter, multi-day canyon carver, unsuspecting track day slayer, sporty 2up bike for the track bike racers who wanna take the "other half" out for a ride, the motor is a gem...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Having owned an FJ1200 for many miles and years, an FJR1300 for 15 years and 60k, I do like the simple FJ-09 model name. I had a Vision 500 back in the day, and admired the Seca series. Is (Laguna) Seca not well known outside US? Even the Virago name, pre-cruiser especially, is better than Tracer. Reminds me of Moto Guzzi continuing to name a model, "Stone."

Yamaha is not good at coming up with cool bike names 
Super Tenere? 
I also hate the Tracer name. Makes me think of the wonderful Mercury Tracer

280px-Mercury-Tracer-sedan.jpg

I'm going to remove the "Tracer goo" emblems from my bike. 
I'll take your tracer logos if you are seriously removing them.

• Premium Member
What I want to know is how Yamaha gets away with calling it the FJ/FZ-09, XSR900 or now 900 Tracer/GT? The engines displacement is 847cc's. I guess the Japanese are generous rounder uppers.

Let’s go Brandon

Regarding removing and re-using the decals: I once wanted to buy a pair of those decals to stick onto my (painted) pannier lids, but the price asked was piratical, about AUD$140 the pair IIRC!   Did without in the end... undecided.png

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Woah! thats expensive for some stickers. From babbittsonline.com its only like $36 USD. 
https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/5b27c6be87a8661118ea0093/cowling

Tracer_GT_stickers.png

Intrigued, and not wishing to mislead you all, as well as wanting to check my sometimes faulty memory, I phoned to get a price from the local dealer, who when I explained what I wanted replied jovially "millions, if you want any decals or stickers from Yamaha!".

Turned out that the 3-D effect/ raised silver decals for the word 'Tracer' alone cost $45 each, or $90 the pair: add-in the stripes above the 'Tracer' decal and we are looking at an additional $20 each, or $40 the pair.   Altogether, AUD$130.   

Small wonder that back then I abandoned the idea and had some simple and cheap but tasteful metallic gold stickers made up.   They chimed very nicely with the gold fork and the gold wheel-rim stickers, along with some discreet gold pin-stripe on the body of the bike and again on the painted panniers, to give them a bit of a visual 'lift'.

Pic below shows not very well the effect.

They come from Japan - stock not held here - and take about ten days to arrive.   BTW, AUD$130 = USD$94.   I prefer the Babbitts option!

P1040367.jpg

Archived