Newbie with 2017 FJ-09 Review

tracerben

I just bought a new (leftover) 2017 FJ-09.  I really wanted the current model, but the difference in price was too much to say no to.  Anyway, here are my initial impressions.  I love the styling of the bike.  The handguards and passenger rail I'm not sure about.  I may remove them.  But everything else is great.

I also love the performance.  I've ridden 1100 to 1300 cc bikes in the past, so I thought this might be underpowered for a touring bike.  But I was wrong.  The triple pulls harder than any other bike I've ridden in a long time.  It is a blast to ride.  I was also worried about choppy throttle response.  That may have been an issue with earlier bikes, but it isn't on mine.

My only complaint about the bike is the windshield.  The stock windshield has to be one of the ugliest, most useless screens I've ever seen.  Yamaha does make a touring shield, but it is even uglier.  How can a company put such a hideous, ineffective windshield on such an otherwise great looking and performing bike?

• Supporting Member
I love the styling of the bike.  The handguards and passenger rail I'm not sure about.  I may remove them.  But everything else is great. 
I also love the performance.  I've ridden 1100 to 1300 cc bikes in the past, so I thought this might be underpowered for a touring bike.  But I was wrong.

My only complaint about the bike is the windshield.  The stock windshield has to be one of the ugliest, most useless screens I've ever seen.  Yamaha does make a touring shield, but it is even uglier.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new bike.

I also removed the oem handguards and passenger grab rails.  I didnt feel like the handguards actually blocked any wind, in the colder months I use basic hand shields from a Suzuki DL650/1000 as well as the oem heated grips - a MUST-HAVE accessory.

My previous bike was a Gen II FZ1 and I too was concerned about being under powered with "only" 850cc but I was wrong, this triple ROCKS!  The only time I wish for more power is during some passes, it simply doesn't have the acceleration of my previous FZ1 and I have to drop into 5th to make the pass.

The windscreen is ugly, useless and simply an after thought by Yamaha, I had a Puig Touring screen left over from my previous FZ1 that I have used since I bought the bike, its not silent but there is no wind buffeting, and I always wear ear plugs. 

The first thing I would suggest buying is a radiator guard to prevent rock and road debris damage.

Some photos with the Puig screen, DL handguards and grab rails removed.

Longview.jpgSLH_1.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I love the styling of the bike.  The handguards and passenger rail I'm not sure about.  I may remove them.  But everything else is great. 
I also love the performance.  I've ridden 1100 to 1300 cc bikes in the past, so I thought this might be underpowered for a touring bike.  But I was wrong.

My only complaint about the bike is the windshield.  The stock windshield has to be one of the ugliest, most useless screens I've ever seen.  Yamaha does make a touring shield, but it is even uglier.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new bike.

I also removed the oem handguards and passenger grab rails.  I didnt feel like the handguards actually blocked any wind, in the colder months I use basic hand shields from a Suzuki DL650/1000 as well as the oem heated grips - a MUST-HAVE accessory.

My previous bike was a Gen II FZ1 and I too was concerned about being under powered with "only" 850cc but I was wrong, this triple ROCKS!  The only time I wish for more power is during some passes, it simply doesn't have the acceleration of my previous FZ1 and I have to drop into 5th to make the pass.

The windscreen is ugly, useless and simply an after thought by Yamaha, I had a Puig Touring screen left over from my previous FZ1 that I have used since I bought the bike, its not silent but there is no wind buffeting, and I always wear ear plugs. 

The first thing I would suggest buying is a radiator guard to prevent rock and road debris damage.

Some photos with the Puig screen, DL handguards and grab rails removed.

Longview.jpg

SLH_1.jpg

Not to get off thread but.....Yes with your red chin guard on the FJ, a red front fender would top it off.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
@tracerben - Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new FJ. Great machines... you’re going to love it.

I also pulled the handguards & passenger rails off mine, and much prefer the look. As an added bonus, the bike feels much lighter and narrower from the saddle without the factory batwings... mental trick, I realize, but it still counts.

As for windscreens, you can go big or go small, and either way seems to be an improvement from the factory compromise. Personally, I went the small route with a Cal Sci shorty. I like the look, and it works well in the warm southeast Texas climate.

My version of the @betoney photos, but without the spectacular scenery:

df6f0b9e9a8257efd4236e081e60b976.jpg

ff82e1da94a57d117c5dbfcb42594fb2.jpg

-Scott

• Premium Member
what kind of tires are those? They don't look like the stock Dunlops........

Or did they move away from the Dunlops for the 2017 model?

• Supporting Member
Hi @pcwizz - If you’re asking about mine, those are Michelin Pilot Road 4s on my 2015 FJ. I believe the 2017 models still came stock with Dunlop D222s, but I’m not sure what is OEM on the new Tracer GT models.

• Premium Member
Hi @pcwizz - If you’re asking about mine, those are Michelin Pilot Road 4s on my 2015 FJ. I believe the 2017 models still came stock with Dunlop D222s, but I’m not sure what is OEM on the new Tracer GT models.
Interesting, I have the Michelin Pilot Road 5, and the tread is very different: 

PR5-_Front.jpg

• Supporting Member
Nice shield! Is that the MRA spoiler on top? If it is, which one did you get? It looks like the 10" version. Does it work well?
Yes, it is the MRA sport sized shield. I don’t use it any more, if it made a difference in wind noise I couldn’t detect it.   It was just one more thing to fiddle with while riding. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I just bought a new (leftover) 2017 FJ-09.  I really wanted the current model, but the difference in price was too much to say no to.  Anyway, here are my initial impressions.  I love the styling of the bike.  The handguards and passenger rail I'm not sure about.  I may remove them.  But everything else is great. 

I also love the performance.  I've ridden 1100 to 1300 cc bikes in the past, so I thought this might be underpowered for a touring bike.  But I was wrong.  The triple pulls harder than any other bike I've ridden in a long time.  It is a blast to ride.  I was also worried about choppy throttle response.  That may have been an issue with earlier bikes, but it isn't on mine.

My only complaint about the bike is the windshield.  The stock windshield has to be one of the ugliest, most useless screens I've ever seen.  Yamaha does make a touring shield, but it is even uglier.  How can a company put such a hideous, ineffective windshield on such an otherwise great looking and performing bike?

I am a new FJ-09 rider too. Seems like we have the same thought s on this bike. Lots to enjoy, few things to fiddle with, espescially the windshield which it giving me fits! lol. This will be a great thread to follow!

Archived