Garmin GPS Kits

drron

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You will have many responses here. I bought the SW Motech unit from Twisted Throttle for mine. Mounts up my Zumo 595LM just fine.
builderbob - Which bike/year do you have that on? When I look at Twisted Throttle website I see SW Motech units for FZ-09/MT-09's however the placement looks like it would block the TFT on the 2019 900 GT's.

I'm also interested in placement/mounting on my 19 900 GT for Garmin 595LM & iPhone XS Max in Otterbox.

Hope I'm not derailing the thread and am happy to create another but it seems that my question has a lot of overlap with DrRon's as well on the GPS.

Any pictures from anyone who has phone/GPS mounted would be awesome with whatever mounts they are using.

• Premium Member
I bought a ram ball bracket from Amazon which holds the Garmin GPS right above my instrument cluster. It mounts using the four screws holding the windscreen bracket, so it is very stable. The bracket came with my Garmin, but I'm guessing you can buy it direct from Garmin if you give them a call. I ran the wires down under the gas tank and into the area under the seat to the battery.

Link and pictures below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LPSLILU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG-2623.jpg

IMG-2622.jpg

• Premium Member
You will have many responses here. I bought the SW Motech unit from Twisted Throttle for mine. Mounts up my Zumo 595LM just fine.
builderbob - Which bike/year do you have that on? When I look at Twisted Throttle website I see SW Motech units for FZ-09/MT-09's however the placement looks like it would block the TFT on the 2019 900 GT's.
Mine's a 2015.  Having not yet seen a GT in the flesh, I have no idea if it would block the view of the TFT display.  No problems on my bike.

• Premium Member

Mine's a 2015.  Having not yet seen a GT in the flesh, I have no idea if it would block the view of the TFT display.  No problems on my bike.
497-AA8-CB-A225-40-DE-ACDB-AD5-EB5720-EFF.jpg9072-C36-B-764-A-4-A20-8-FC0-4654719-C2513.jpg

im pretty anal about stuff. This is what I settled on 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

@David - I don't have an earlier FJ-09 however my understanding is the mount points for the windscreen are completely different so that may complicate some of these mounts.

coachluciano - Your mount appears that it mounts to the handlebars, is that right? I'll get some measurements on the 2019 and see if that would work. Which mount is that? Do you have a link by chance so I can lookup dimensions?

Drron,

As far as I know there are no solutions for mounting SatNavs on top of the TFTF screen for the GT900 because of the way the screen adjusts (adjustment bracket is above the TFT) so the only real option is a handlebar RAM mount.

<a href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1950/30535458097_92e67e0c50.jpg' alt='30535458097_92e67e0c50.jpg'>IMG_5530 by Steve Boulter, on Flickr[/img]

Cheers
Steve

• Supporting Member
Hiya, Doc.  Yep, a very subjective topic.  That said, this is what's worked for me on my bikes. 

This is my Zumo 550 mount on my GT.  Mounted on the left side of the handlebar and powered by a PC8 fuseblock under the seat.  Uses a RAM bar mount and a short RAM arm.  Puts everything within easy reach of my left hand and keeps the center view free.

As always, YMMV.

Best of luck!

Zumo-mount.jpg
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Premium Member
@david - I don't have an earlier FJ-09 however my understanding is the mount points for the windscreen are completely different so that may complicate some of these mounts.  
coachluciano - Your mount appears that it mounts to the handlebars, is that right? I'll get some measurements on the 2019 and see if that would work. Which mount is that? Do you have a link by chance so I can lookup dimensions?
Yes. Mounted to the handlebar with the stock handlebar mount from the Garmin Zumo 396. I tried all over the place and this was the best/most convenient given no cruise control and somewhat limited to left hand adjustments. Nestled perfectly where you see it without any changes.  I run audio/GPS/Phone to my helmet via Bluetooth all through the Garmin. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member

@david - I don't have an earlier FJ-09 however my understanding is the mount points for the windscreen are completely different so that may complicate some of these mounts.  
Yes. Mounted to the handlebar with the stock handlebar mount from the Garmin Zumo 396. I tried all over the place and this was the best/most convenient given no cruise control and somewhat limited to left hand adjustments. Nestled perfectly where you see it without any changes.  I run audio/GPS/Phone to my helmet via Bluetooth all through the Garmin. 
Just realized all the bug splatters. Lol 

8-B017-C93-995-B-43-B4-AC10-A4111-CA171-D0.jpg

• Premium Member
I used a RAM mount on the handlebars and power it from the 12v cigarette lighter connection to the left of the TFT display. I am very happy with the RAM mount, I am having a problem with the electrical supply and I have not figured out yet what's wrong. I soldered a USB connection to the GPS power cable and I am using a standard 12v to USB cigarette lighter power plug, which fits very loosely in the socket.

IMG-8335.jpg

IMG-8336.jpg

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Premium Member
I am having a problem with the electrical supply and I have not figured out yet what's wrong. I soldered a USB connection to the GPS power cable and I am using a standard 12v to USB cigarette lighter power plug, which fits very loosely in the socket. 

If I'm not mistaken, the USB adapter you're using won't supply enough voltage to power your Garmin.  I believe the adapter knocks the voltage down to 5v or so.  Your Garmin needs 12v.  Mine is connected to a switched fuseblock that I installed under the seat.

• Premium Member
I am having a problem with the electrical supply and I have not figured out yet what's wrong. I soldered a USB connection to the GPS power cable and I am using a standard 12v to USB cigarette lighter power plug, which fits very loosely in the socket. 

If I'm not mistaken, the USB adapter you're using won't supply enough voltage to power your Garmin.  I believe the adapter knocks the voltage down to 5v or so.  Your Garmin needs 12v.  Mine is connected to a switched fuseblock that I installed under the seat.
The USB plug I soldered to the GPS cable has a built in 12v/5v converter.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Archived