Garmin GPS Kits

drron

I used a RAM mount on the handlebars and power it from the 12v cigarette lighter connection to the left of the TFT display. I am very happy with the RAM mount, I am having a problem with the electrical supply and I have not figured out yet what's wrong. I soldered a USB connection to the GPS power cable and I am using a standard 12v to USB cigarette lighter power plug, which fits very loosely in the socket. 
IMG-8335.jpg

IMG-8336.jpg

Do you have a link to the mount you are using for the Garmin?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

I used a RAM mount on the handlebars and power it from the 12v cigarette lighter connection to the left of the TFT display. I am very happy with the RAM mount, I am having a problem with the electrical supply and I have not figured out yet what's wrong. I soldered a USB connection to the GPS power cable and I am using a standard 12v to USB cigarette lighter power plug, which fits very loosely in the socket.
I have found that the 12v cigarette lighter connections tend to be spotty at best. They work, then stop, then start working again. I have the same Garmin GPS as you, and I mounted mine above the stock display with a ram ball. I ran the wiring under the gas tank and connected it to the battery. 
You can see the pictures earlier in this thread. 

• Premium Member
David,

My power supply problem to the GPS is as you describe as a problem for the cigarette lighter connection, spotty:  it's on, then off, then on.  I like the bike's power connection because it switches on and off with the ignition, which I like.  I'll have to keep looking.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Premium Member
doofoo

The RAM mounts are universal, my installation has three pieces:  the handlebar u-bolt with a ball, the 3" connecting piece, and the third piece has the RAM ball on one end and a flat baseplate with the same footprint at the Garmin mount on the other with bolt holes for the Garmin mount.  Do a Google search on RAM mounts and you will gets thousands of hits.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Premium Member
doofoo 
The RAM mounts are universal, my installation has three pieces:  the handlebar u-bolt with a ball, the 3" connecting piece, and the third piece has the RAM ball on one end and a flat baseplate with the same footprint at the Garmin mount on the other with bolt holes for the Garmin mount.  Do a Google search on RAM mounts and you will gets thousands of hits.
https://www.rammount.com/mount-builder 

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

8-B017-C93-995-B-43-B4-AC10-A4111-CA171-D0.jpg

How do you get on with the Sena remote control between the riser mounts @coachluciano? I have mine on the left grip and it always bugs me. <sorry folks, off topic>

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
8-B017-C93-995-B-43-B4-AC10-A4111-CA171-D0.jpg
How do you get on with the Sena remote control between the riser mounts @coachluciano ? I have mine on the left grip and it always bugs me. <sorry folks, off topic>
I actually used to have it on the hand guard.  That way it was never on the grip itself (can't stand having it on the grip) and IMHO if you ride hard, its a dangerous location for that device.  I have since removed the hand guards so had to find another location.  Works good for what use it for, however need to add some more grip-em to the bar to keep it from wanting to rotate when I hit the jog up or down.  

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member
David, 
My power supply problem to the GPS is as you describe as a problem for the cigarette lighter connection, spotty:  it's on, then off, then on.  I like the bike's power connection because it switches on and off with the ignition, which I like.  I'll have to keep looking.
There are power hubs you can get that provide switched power with your key rather than direct batter power.

Hi

Here's a "rider's eye" view of my Garmin 395 mounted with a RAM mount fixed to the centre of the handlebar.

IMG-1627.jpg

As you can see, there is a clear view of the Garmin without obstructing the TFT display.

Here's a pic of the back showing the mount and cabling.

IMG-1628.jpg

The power cable follows the other cables to the rear of the TFT display where there is a spare 12V accessory socket which connects with a MT090 connector. This is described elsewhere on the site with some excellent pictures showing how to remove the screen, the screen height adjuster and a metal plate to access the accessory socket.

The install is very neat without any exposed cables.

I think your problem is that the Garmin power cable includes a 12V/5V converter so needs to be connected to a 12V supply. It looks as if you connected it to a USB 5V supply so will not be adequate.

Hope this helps,

Vic

• Premium Member
I see new Tracer GT owners installing their GPS on the handlebar. I started out with it there too, but I discovered that you have to take your eyes off the road in order to see the GPS on the handlebar. I suggest that you mount it above the display where you can see it without taking your eyes off the road. That makes a huge difference when riding a twisty road.

When riding a twisty road with the GPS in your field of view, you can see what comes after the turn that you are in the midst of. Does it straighten out or is there another curve? Which direction does the next curve take? The GPS will show you if you can see it. You can't see a handlebar-mounted GPS without taking your eyes off the road. You are better off without looking at the GPS in that case, which diminishes much of its usefulness.

Also, when mounted above the display then it is protected from much of the wind and rain by the curvature of the screen.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I see new Tracer GT owners installing their GPS on the handlebar. I started out with it there too, but I discovered that you have to take your eyes off the road in order to see the GPS on the handlebar. I suggest that you mount it above the display where you can see it without taking your eyes off the road. That makes a huge difference when riding a twisty road. 
When riding a twisty road with the GPS in your field of view, you can see what comes after the turn that you are in the midst of. Does it straighten out or is there another curve? Which direction does the next curve take? The GPS will show you if you can see it. You can't see a handlebar-mounted GPS without taking your eyes off the road. You are better off without looking at the GPS in that case, which diminishes much of its usefulness.

Could you tell us how this can be achieved? The adjustment lever/ switch/ gizmo on the GT900 is above the display. So I don't see how it can be mounted there. 
Would love to know what your solution is.

Cheers
Steve

Vic, I like how you mounted your 395. I also have a 395 and I'm having trouble with the power supply when mounted in the motorcycle cradle, it frequently (5-6 times a day) begins the shut down routine but often reconnects and continues on its own, sometimes I have to restart it. When mounted in the auto cradle the GPS works fine.
Have you experienced anything like this with your mount?

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

• Premium Member
The USB plug I soldered to the GPS cable has a built in 12v/5v converter.
The 12V socket provides a flimsy connection IMO, so that's a possibility. Is the USB adapter rated for the power (watts) the GPS requires? FWIW, I have my GPS PSU hard wired to a switched 12V auxiliary circuit (behind the dash). You could connectorize. The GPS is a permanent fixture on my bike, so it's not like I will need to take my harness anywhere.
The USB adapter was indeed rated for a lower power than the GPS requires, the adapter was rated for 5V / 1 amp, and the GPS requires 5V / 2 amps.  Quite a disparity.  I now have one properly rated and will try it out in the next few days.  A more permanent connection to the spare power behind the dash will remain a possibility, as I consider that a better long term connection.  Thanks for the tip.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Hi Piotrek

Yes, I saw your original YT test of the mounts for your FJ (I'm one of your subscribers) and re-watched it again last night.

As long as postage to the UK isn't prohibitive I'll probably pick one of these up.

Cheers
Steve 

Archived